Sky9x Rotary Encoder Option

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
jhsa

Re: Sky9x Rotary Encoder Option

Post by jhsa »

kaos wrote: For me, line up 12 pins all straight and exact is not easy on the 1st run also get the height just right. using wires, I installed the encoder in one run and done. ;)
Well, I did it twice now.. Some were not 100% straight but they went into the holes.. Maybe the holes were not that straight too :mrgreen:
Aligning the encoder couldn't be easier.. Iksbob posted a good video on how to install it. It's lost somewhere in this thread ;)

The only problem I can see is if we have to remove it for some reason..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

jbabio

Post by jbabio »

LTMNO wrote:Here are some pics of the placement...

http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ry_encoder
Nice to have the "roulette" mod with Tez board well documented on the wiki!
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Yeah, I second that... it was really easy, just drilled the holes with the smallest bit i had with my dremel drill stand. Then hammered in the pins 1 by 1 and they went in really straight.
Then just slide the board up and down the main pcb until the height was right. I soldered the pins on the encoder PCB first... after they were placed in. Once you have the right height just tack down one pin with solder.. then line up the other side and you are set. It couldn't be easier.
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Iksbob wrote:
jbeebo wrote:do you have any pics? I don't have my backlight yet so am having a hard time visualizing how it's built...
None on hand. It's like this: a thin block of clear plastic, textured on the back side, with LEDs shining into the block from one edge. The remaining edges have (probably mylar) reflective tape on them. The back face of the block has almost-opaque white plastic "paper" stuck to it via some thin strips of double-sided tape at each end. The front face has similarly attached translucent white diffuser plastic on it.
9X-LCD-BL.jpg
Here is the LED's on the end
7707570958_d5de92d453_b.jpg
Buckmaster

Post by Buckmaster »

I went the Kaos method and used wires to connect. It seemed more sensible from a maintenance / future mod perspective. I think it allows more flexibility in the future if you aren't locked in to having the encoder soldered to your main board. I used 2 plugs to connect it, one 4 wire plug to go from encoder to TelemetrEZ, and a 5 wire to go to the main board. Now I can just unplug it and get my main board out while leaving the encoder bolted to the radio using the stock mounts. Another plus side to that is it doesn't interfere with the backlight since the encoder doesn't have to come out with the mainboard. My backlight hangs over the edge of the encoder PCB, but it doesn't make any difference since the encoder goes in, then the backlight, then the mainboard on top of that.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

well, I took my board out to replace the atmega64 with an atmega128 and the backlight just come together with the board and encoder as it is glued with double sided tape to the black foam.. no problems to take it all out and no problems to put it back in..
I did try to do it the way you did it but I messed up :(

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Buckmaster

Post by Buckmaster »

That's a pretty good plan to have it all come out together. It is sometimes a pain to keep from moving the backlight while dropping on the main board. I could probably double stick tape them to my board too.... I wouldn't have to unplug the LCD every time then, I'm just waiting to break that dainty connector.
On a side note..... when I got into the RC hobby I really never thought for a second I would be concerning myself with making sure it would be easy to disassemble and maintain or mod the radio....... this has turned into a hobby of its own! :)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I wouldn't try to remove the LCD with the board, also not double using sideded tape on it.. I think it wouldn't survive the first try. they are very fragile stuff.

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
kaos

Post by kaos »

one sided thick foam tape is perferct. I fixed the LCD with a couple dab of hot glue to the tx casing (it is easy to remove when needed). the mainboard has a one sided thick foam tape stick to the main board but not to the LCD, it will press hard again the LCD but easy to remove the main board when needed. ;)

edit: think about it, I might have taped the single sided foam to the LCD and the main board is just pressing against the foam then LCD. no sense of covering the main board up with tape if mod is needed. I will open up my tx in the next few days for ppm16 dual module mod. I will confirm that. loss of short term memory. ;)
jbabio

Post by jbabio »

Hi does anyone sell one piece of iksbob's rotary encoder PCB? I've ordered (and paid) 3 from Hippo's webstore: http://www.foamfly.com february the 12th but he never sent them to me. He only answered my 1st PM redirecting me to his store but since then, he answered no PMs, webforms filled on his website nor Emails despite I've sent emails to 4 or 5 different Email accounts property of him.

Almost 3 months have passed and he have not responded to my contact efforts. I recommend NOT to purchase from him.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I remember when I bought mine it took a while too.. not that long though.. I think he was travelling. Keep trying.. If I'm not mistaken his phone number is posted ,somewhere on this or other thread. but I'm not sure...

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jpparisy

Post by jpparisy »

Using the Iksbob's files, I've ordered 10 PCB at this Chinese maker, they cost me $9.90 plus $3.90 for shipping to France. They even send me two more free PCB, because the project is open-source !

Here are the results:

I think the files from my order (ORDER #100011448) can be reused by someone else for another order.
jpparisy

Post by jpparisy »

jpparisy wrote:I think the files from my order (ORDER #100011448) can be reused by someone else for another order.
It seems the order number is not of a great use.

I join the zip file with the files expected by Itead. You will need to modify its name, before sending it, to include your order number.
Attachments
100011448-wheelBoard.zip
PCB for rotary encoder
(16.78 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
jbabio

Post by jbabio »

Hi,

Finally with help from jpparisy I got one PCB for the encoder and have done the wheel encoder mod yesterday. It was straightforward to connect it to the TeZ board and after updating the Tez board to r75 and downloading the correct OpenTX firmware to the 9X with Companion 9X. The mod works perfectly.

Does someone know if the original menu button can be reasigned to perform other functions since the central button of the encoder now performs as menu?

I'm still waiting the boards I've paid to hippo and hope they arrive some day.
Attachments
2013-05-31 16.33.18.jpg
okay1984

Post by okay1984 »

jpparisy wrote:Using the Iksbob's files, I've ordered 10 PCB at this Chinese maker, they cost me $9.90 plus $3.90 for shipping to France. They even send me two more free PCB, because the project is open-source !

Here are the results:

I think the files from my order (ORDER #100011448) can be reused by someone else for another order.
Where did you get the rotary encoder? It's really nice.
kaos

Post by kaos »

both digikey and mouser have them.
viperman3

Post by viperman3 »

anyone selling the rotary encoder and PCB? Would like to buy one of each.
Thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If anybody, particularly in the UK, gets a batch of boards I could do with 3 as I have three encoders waiting for me to find time to sort a PCB and fit them.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
cae

Post by cae »

MikeB wrote:If anybody, particularly in the UK, gets a batch of boards I could do with 3 as I have three encoders waiting for me to find time to sort a PCB and fit them.

Mike.
Mike,

PM me your address and I will send you 3.

Colin.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I have an encoder that I've never fitted (no PCB) that will likely never be used. If someone wants it...

EDIT: It's gone
kaos

Post by kaos »

I have a spare pcb for the encoder probably wont' have any need for it any more, if anyone wants it PM me.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

cae wrote:Mike,
Colin.
Many thanks, boards just arrived, now I'll need to get soldering.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
cae

Post by cae »

MikeB wrote:
cae wrote:Mike,
Colin.
Many thanks, boards just arrived, now I'll need to get soldering.

Mike.
No problem Mike, happy to help.

Colin.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

jpparisy wrote:Using the Iksbob's files, I've ordered 10 PCB at this Chinese maker, they cost me $9.90 plus $3.90 for shipping to France. They even send me two more free PCB, because the project is open-source !

Here are the results:

Am I the only one thinking these boards look mirrored? I see the soldering pads on the photo, but the tracks seem to be on the opposite side... hope they are connected. :)

Is this project over? I mean, has everybody who wanted to get the wheel, already installed one?

I'm asking because I'm thinking of this mod, and am looking for the board... Either to order a batch, or to just make one for myself... I'm afraid if I get a batch of these to share with the community, I will be unable to send them abroad at a reasonable price (our postal service is kinda strange ... and slow). Still thinking how to do it better.
jpparisy

Post by jpparisy »

andrewju wrote:Am I the only one thinking these boards look mirrored? I see the soldering pads on the photo, but the tracks seem to be on the opposite side... hope they are connected. :)

Is this project over? I mean, has everybody who wanted to get the wheel, already installed one?

I'm asking because I'm thinking of this mod, and am looking for the board... Either to order a batch, or to just make one for myself... I'm afraid if I get a batch of these to share with the community, I will be unable to send them abroad at a reasonable price (our postal service is kinda strange ... and slow). Still thinking how to do it better.
No, the boards are not mirrored, they are single-sided. What you see on the photo with the wheel is the bottom side, with protection varnish.

I've ordered and received another batch of 10 boards, where the holes are metallized. If you are intested in, I can send you up to 3 of them, without the wheels. The postage costs from France to Russia are approximately US $1.30 for a letter weighting up to 20 g.
Contact me in PM if needed.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

jpparisy wrote:No, the boards are not mirrored, they are single-sided. What you see on the photo with the wheel is the bottom side, with protection varnish.
Ah, I see now... Sorry! :)

I'll send you a PM regarding the boards... Thanks!
dizzwold

Post by dizzwold »

Does anyone have an Eagle file for these Rotary encoder PCBs or a direct scan to scale?

It would be very helpful.

Regards.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think here on this thread there are some files. Not sure if in Eagle format or only PDF..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

dizzwold wrote:Does anyone have an Eagle file for these Rotary encoder PCBs or a direct scan to scale?
Iksbob wrote:Alright, version 2 and I learned a neat trick along the way:
Though the ground plane doesn't like to stay put when saved and re-opened... It turns back into a polygon.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9882625/NavWheelAdapt2.zip
Iksbob wrote:
Clivew wrote:Now, how about a straightforward pdf file of the pcb anyone?
Something like this?
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9882625/wheelBoard2.pdf
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

If you look on the left side of that picture the ground plane is broken and the most left ground pad is not connected to ground.. That might not be a problem for the 9x board but I'm not so sure about the ersky9x board.. On my skyboard I did connect that pad to ground with a little wire..
João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”