Sky9x Rotary Encoder Option

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Sky9x Rotary Encoder Option

Post by Rob Thomson »

Right...

So my rotary encoder has arrived. All hooked up...

The big question! Does open9x or ersky9x support this yet?

I can confirm that open9x does not appear to compile this in yet; so am guessing the code does not exist yet for this?

Anyone know on the ersky9x system yet?

Rob
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

SkyNorth

Re: Sky9x Rotaty Encoder Option

Post by SkyNorth »

On the UP Arrow status screen there are a set of HEX numbers at the top of the screen , the first two digits
will follow the encoder ... It steps in 4's between clicks ...if you turn it really slow you can see it count by ones..
The second digits show the Push switch.

You need the current firmware version , as Mike has been working on this....He just needs to add a "divide by 4" to the count output for this
type of encoder

-Brent
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Sky9x Rotaty Encoder Option

Post by Rob Thomson »

Ok.. So not on all firmwares yet :)

Time to do some coding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

Is the encoder an incremental or absolute? I have some incremental encoders I would like to try.

Paul
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

They are incremental.

cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

20 position continuous rotary encoder work? I have some from modding car dashes/radios... :D
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

Yours sounds like a absolute encoder if it has 20 different positions.
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

He might mean 20 detentes.
If there are only 3 connections to the encoder (and it is a mechanical switch type) then it is incremental.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

20 postion , 20 pulse? With push button switch... There are three connections on one side, and two on the other... hmmm... here is a pic of it.
Attachments
encoder.jpg
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

Should be fine. The three on one side are for the encoder, the two are the push button switch.
kaos

Post by kaos »

hmm, can you use that switch to be the digital encoder and the push button for TRN switch? that would be a perfect replacement for the current TRN switch.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I was thinking the switch would be best to toggle between editing and selecting.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Yes... think of how the JR & SPEKTRUM rotary encoder works for navigatig the menus.

quick.. and really easy!

Rob
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I would, except I don't have/never used either!

Simple value editing using the rotary encoder will be in the next revision, just need to add the divide by 4 option.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

Could the Encoder switch be assignable? With speech ...you could have each push of the switch change the channel , it is working on.

So you would push the encoder , and the Radio , would say "Rudder" , you could now trim the rudder channel Or apply the encoder to the Mix.
if you push it again ..it would say "Elevator" ...Flaps..Channel 7 . This would give you a Rotary trim on all channels. (or the ones selected)
A - L O N G Push would activate it ...and another L O N G push would de-activate it.

Can we incorporate a sound output that would indicate , the rotary encoder position , when used in a absolute mode?

-Brent
kaos

Post by kaos »

MikeB wrote:I was thinking the switch would be best to toggle between editing and selecting.

Mike.
yep, just received my gold plated sky9x board with spker and encoder today. :D
I see the digital encoder in my hand now, It does have the is a push button too. but yes, it would be better for selection than TRN.
After all I can use the DX4e push button for good use now. ;)

I am watching the show here very closely, great work. Keep up guys!
steblerjun

Post by steblerjun »

MikeB wrote:I was thinking the switch would be best to toggle between editing and selecting.

Mike.
yes, that would be great!

and the rotary function for navigating menus + changing values (the 2. one is almost done...) :-)

Franz
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

r88 allows value editing using the encoder. Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Rob Thomson wrote:Yes... think of how the JR & SPEKTRUM rotary encoder works for navigatig the menus.
Can you give a quick description of how this works, then I can consider if I can implement it, thanks.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

On home screen, press encoder to get into the menu. In the menu the encoder scrolls through the available items. Press to enter. Get to a parameter list, rotate to get to the one you want, press to enter edit mode, rotate to edit, press again to exit edit mode, scroll to the first (or last) item on the screen that is "back" to go to the previous page - that kind of thing. Everything is done by turning the rotary encoder and pressing it, no other key needed.
It's practical or not depending on the physical shape of the encoder. The thumb wheel on JR/Spektrum is very good and makes it VERY quick to navigate, while I find with most other manufacturers' physical layout it's annoying more than anything.
Fromi

Post by Fromi »

hi, here is novice writing :)
what about escaping from changes? Is that implemented? Entering the menu, why not to leave it on menu button? Like [MENU] to enter, scroll, to change the value, navigate, [MENU] and [Scroll button] to enter the change mode or menu, Exit to escape without saving. Next HWD could have a rotary instead of 4 buttons. 4 buttons could be used for programmed menu access, like favourites once implemented or for flight mode selection or both if menus could be taged. (sorry for my fantasy :)
Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

Iksbob wrote:Ok, I got sidetracked by other projects, but remembered a related idea I had while rummaging through a bin of parts:
4-way navigation buttons + wheel and center select. $6.42 on mouser.
It requires clipping out the plastic X and sanding the hole ever so slightly (~.2 mm). Letting it sit against the back of the '9X front panel makes it stand out slightly from the face. If the existing screw hole/standoff posts were used to brace a PCB, the raised lip of the directional switches would be almost flush with the panel, making the whole thing a slight bowl in the panel (good for using the wheel).
It just needs a mounting/adapter PCB. I'm thinking brace it against the existing screw hole posts (previously held the 4 buttons in place) and have 16 header-pin "posts" go from the mount down through the holes in the main board previously used for the tactile switches. The posts would provide electrical connection to the up/down/left/right functions of the encoder, and the remaining wheel and select signals would go to a right-angle 4 pin header (select, encoder a, encoder b, ground for redundancy). The board could be notched on the sides so it could be turned 90 degrees to drop down past the screw hole posts, letting the installer choose between slightly-protruding and flush-bowl styles.
Installation would consist of:
- Remove the main board
- Desolder the tact switches (they could be clipped off at the front, making removal a simpler one leg at a time job)
- Remove the old buttons (2 screws)
- Clip out the plastic X that runs between the buttons
- Sand down any stubs left from the X and widen the hole slightly, testing for fit as you go
- Drop the encoder/PCB/post assembly into the main PCB (orienting for desired installation style), but do not solder
- Reinstall the encoder/main board combo on the radio with a few screws around the encoder area.
- Make sure the encoder is positioned as desired on the front panel, and solder the posts to the main PCB
- Remove the main PCB/encoder assembly, plug in and route the encoder/select cable
- Reassemble the radio
preston91

Post by preston91 »

have you completed the install? the link to Mouser shows a white one. so did you paint it? so how does it work!??
Looks nice and it's right where I would like my encoder....

Paul
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

preston91 wrote:have you completed the install?
Nope. I'm looking into PCB layout software right now. I already have a few photo-sensitized PCBs associated etching stuff, but the last time I etched a PCB was back in the 90's, using those rub-transfer sheets and an etching kit from radioshack. I'd like to try something a bit more modern so I can do respectably complex PCBs when I need them.
preston91 wrote:the link to Mouser shows a white one.
Yep. They have the wrong pic. If you look at the datasheet (page 4), you'll see there are two part numbers; one for the white version, one for the black. The part number on the search results is the black one.
preston91 wrote:so did you paint it?
I just filled in the little arrows with a paint pen. :)
preston91

Post by preston91 »

Iksbob,, thanks for the info. I ordered some for my 9x's. would be interested in the PCB's if you can make a few extras to sell ...

Paul
kaos

Post by kaos »

I see the spec it has 'wheel' function. Is the center round dial can be turned as a dial or it uses four push button style for navigation?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The awesome thing is that it does both!
4-button like the original 9x style (the outside), PLUS a rotary encoder (inside) and center push button :D
kaos

Post by kaos »

I will get one then. some one get that circuit diagram ready for the Sky9x board. ;)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Is this only for the sky9x board, or also a possibility fior the stock board?

Joao
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”