Another run planned?

Support & Help for the sky9x upgrade board
digiexchris

Another run planned?

Post by digiexchris »

I was too late! I didn't get on it fast enough and now V3.0 is sold out. Is there any plans to make more?
Last edited by digiexchris on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WendoNZ

Re: Another run planned?

Post by WendoNZ »

I'd also like to know the answer to this.

I was planning on buying a board, rotary encoder, LCD upgrade and switching regulators some time in the not to distant future when I get my FrSky module
WendoNZ

Post by WendoNZ »

I'd also love to see another run. I was planning on getting a board, LCD and rotary knob once my FrSky gear came in
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

I have a few boards left over to debug , and see It I can get them working.
No , I do not plan to run another batch of boards .. there is not enough interest for me to run another 100 or so boards.

I'm working on a Mini - SKY board , but its no where close to being plug and play like the old one for the 9x

-Brent
WendoNZ

Post by WendoNZ »

SkyNorth wrote:I have a few boards left over to debug , and see It I can get them working.
No , I do not plan to run another batch of boards .. there is not enough interest for me to run another 100 or so boards.

I'm working on a Mini - SKY board , but its no where close to being plug and play like the old one for the 9x

-Brent
Damn, if you can get one of the remaining boards working I'd love to have it with a screen and switching regulators, a telemetry cable and if you can get more rotary switches, or point me to a source it'd be much appreciated

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Guess the issue here is.... will the X9DA be a success?

If it is good.. then few people will go the Sky9X route :(
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
WendoNZ

Post by WendoNZ »

Just re-read Brent's reply, and I'm not sure if by debug he means boards that have an issue, or boards he wants to keep to test issues that may be reported
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

Is April still the anticipated availability date for the X9DA. What's the latest guess on the price, do you know?

Ted
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Last i heard it was.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Utakos

Post by Utakos »

Any time scale for the next batch and how much are the boards?
WendoNZ

Post by WendoNZ »

SkyNorth wrote:I have a few boards left over to debug , and see It I can get them working.

-Brent
As Brent said, there isn't going to be another batch
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

I do not have the funds currently to do another run. ( I still have to pay for the last run)
I have about 15 boards that I still need to work on.

Due to production problems , the board yield was down about 25 boards on the last run .....I have the parts but no boards...
So I'm out about $2500 , in lost sales/profit...thats a lot of hobby money....

If there is enough people in the group , that want to get together ,and fund another board run , then more boards could be run,
and divided among the investors.

So if you want the SKY9x board to live , then its time to step up , as I simply cannot afford to do another run on my own.

-Brent
sgofferj

Post by sgofferj »

Have you thought about opening a Kickstarter or Indiegogo project? That's just one idea.
The other is that I'm making quite some nice progress with my UAV groundstation project which - if you remember - I wanna base the RC part on your board. I think, your board is way too good to see it just as an enhancement for the 9x. You should start marketing it more universally as a DIY-kit to build an own TX. A great and powerful board (with an ARM Cortex µP, after all...) plus feature-rich and mature software (Open9x)... Basically, you'd only have to take cables for connecting pots and switches and stuff into your program and adapter-boards for JR and Futaba modules.
I am posting regular progress reports on my UAV GCS project on DIY-Drones and the interest is substantial. I was anyways planning to do a post about your board somewhen soon.

Besides, I found the (Chinese) manufacturer where Servocity gets it's 3D-gimbals from and they make pretty good prices - another thing that could be worth thinking about.

And I am ready to order a board now if you have one!

Edit:
Posted a blog post about this to DIY-Drones.

Edit2:
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/sky ... -dying-out
tilmanb

Post by tilmanb »

I hope this is not the end. Increase the price if it helps.
sgofferj wrote: Besides, I found the (Chinese) manufacturer where Servocity gets it's 3D-gimbals from and they make pretty good prices - another thing that could be worth thinking about.
Interesting. Would you care to share? ;)
I want one...
sgofferj

Post by sgofferj »

tilmanb

Post by tilmanb »

Nice looking joysticks. Which one fits the case?
sgofferj

Post by sgofferj »

I don't know. I'm not modding my 9x, I'm building a new one :).

Brent, check the DIY-Drones post! Some people are already stating interest!
RightRudder

Post by RightRudder »

sgofferj wrote:Have you thought about opening a Kickstarter or Indiegogo project? That's just one idea.
The other is that I'm making quite some nice progress with my UAV groundstation project which - if you remember - I wanna base the RC part on your board. I think, your board is way too good to see it just as an enhancement for the 9x. You should start marketing it more universally as a DIY-kit to build an own TX. A great and powerful board (with an ARM Cortex µP, after all...) plus feature-rich and mature software (Open9x)... Basically, you'd only have to take cables for connecting pots and switches and stuff into your program and adapter-boards for JR and Futaba modules.
I am posting regular progress reports on my UAV GCS project on DIY-Drones and the interest is substantial. I was anyways planning to do a post about your board somewhen soon.

Besides, I found the (Chinese) manufacturer where Servocity gets it's 3D-gimbals from and they make pretty good prices - another thing that could be worth thinking about.

And I am ready to order a board now if you have one!

Edit:
Posted a blog post about this to DIY-Drones.

Edit2:
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/sky ... -dying-out
I'd like to second that thought. There was a guy on this forum goes by 'muchy' who made a beautiful tray. Maybe we could get him to pop some more cases out of his molds and get a group SKYTX9 or some such project happening and a group buy of some boards?

Joe
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

If I could get a case.... I would 100% build a tx from the ground up.

Always the case (and lack of skill in that area) that stops me.

RightRudder

Post by RightRudder »

Here's the thread (sorry it was on RCGroups and the user is Mutchy.) Check out this awesome home made tray.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1678570
sgofferj

Post by sgofferj »

Rob Thomson wrote:If I could get a case.... I would 100% build a tx from the ground up.

Well, 2 thoughts on this...

1.) Think out of the box! Literally... :D. Who says, a TX must be in a traditional TX case. Google for "Handheld enclosure". The case I chose for my ground control station is a desktop enclosure by OKW (http://www.okw.com/OPD-WebSite/B4030117 ... roduct.okw). It's probably not good for a classic handheld TX but it's huge, so all my stuff will fit in.

2.) Be creative! Draw your idea of a perfect enclosure and then find someone who 3D-prints it for you. Come to DIY-Drones! We have many people with 3D-Printers in the community and many people with "let's do it"-attitude!
sgofferj

Post by sgofferj »

Besides, FrSky is coming with 18 channel TX modules and fitting receivers soon... Think about what an INSANE TX you/we could build with a SKY9X-board, one of the new FrSky-modules and Open9X... Just find some cool sticks, like those 4D-sticks I digged out and you can fly 2 planes at the same time with 1 TX xD.
BotThoughts

Post by BotThoughts »

$2500 in the hole? ouch!!!

I would also suggest Kickstarter, or better IndieGogo (you keep whatever is donated) or Tindie Fundraiser.

So, what happened if I may ask? Why can't you get your money back from the board fab house? How does one go about dodging such a big issue in the future?

I think if there were an easy way to pre-order, people would help out.

Michael
Wimh

Post by Wimh »

Rob Thomson wrote:If I could get a case.... I would 100% build a tx from the ground up.

I bought a second hand Sanwa

Won't be using the buttons down below, only up top. "Only" real problem so far is display. I want to find a small one fitting in there that will work with the original board. Because I decided to put the SKY9X board I got from Kaos in my MPX Evo case... Hoping I can use the original MPX display in there as well...
Wim
Belgium
olafnew

Post by olafnew »

Brent - how is it possible to transfer some donations to help out with this problem of $2500? I think all of us, who are using and enjoying the board will do so.
tilmanb

Post by tilmanb »

Is there any market for used boards?
Demand and supply, market forces - you know. :) We can talk prices...
digiexchris

Post by digiexchris »

absolutely, I'd be all over a used board. prefer within Canada to keep shipping down but would make exceptions
tilmanb

Post by tilmanb »

Haha, I was talking from a buyers point of view as well. :)
digiexchris

Post by digiexchris »

heh I suspect there's not a lot of people out there selling, they like the boards too much!
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

Whoa! I've been out of the loop for a few months. Oh man, I sitting here and I'm having a hard
time coming to grips with this news...it's not good. I for one love this board, it's a power house.

Everyone was chewing their arms and legs off to get at the 9XR and as far as I can see it's just
ugly looking junk with the ONLY redeeming quality being it has er9x on it.

I'm at a loss for for words.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Return to “sky9x upgrade board”