Hardware change for training port

Support & Help for the sky9x upgrade board
SkyNorth

Re: Hardware change for training port

Post by SkyNorth »

Scott,

Yes you can leave the white/yellow unconnected.

The cable I sent you is from a CD-ROM audio connection in a computer , it has 4 pins , and 3 wires.
The ground connection on this connector is in the correct spot (pin 4). Pin3 is open , which would be the 5V output.

What I was trying to say ..is if you use a 3 wire servo extension ,that everybody has in their toolbox to plug into the DHT , then the 3rd wire
connection needs to be cut , or left unconnected , as it would connect with the 5V output on the RF module, and if you plugged it into
the 3 pin COM1 header , without breaking that connection , you would short the 5V output to the COM1 Ground , which would not be good
for the RF module.

-Brent

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I've been asked to install a DHT DIY into a sky ver 2 tx I've got up and working to allow 16 ch.
I need a little help with it.
It may be explained in wiki but I'd like to get the most current options.
Here's the plan,
Currently the DJT and module bay have been modified to feed RXD and TXD into com1 using a servo connector with only 2 pins/wires connected. The ppm is feeding pin 1 as normal.
The DHT and antenna is physically installed and mounted.

I need to connect the red, black, and yellow wires now. Finding a ground for the black and switched tx voltage for the red is not an issue but if there is a favorite place on the back boards to connect to I'd like to know to. I'm good with a meter.

Now comes the yellow ppm on wire connection. I've only read in the past about using the game port for the second 8 ch ppm input to make 16ch. I've not used my own skyboard TXs at a trainer tx or sim Tx so I'll learn that in this process. So what's the current connection point on the back trainer jack board for this ppm connection!

I'm assuming, but haven't looked, that the menu has an option to be a 26ch system. The current FW is ersky9x and will be the one used.

Then finally some thoughts on this....
I'm thinking I should feed the normal ppm into the DHT to make it the first 8 ch with or without a module on the module bay. The second 8ch from the game port ppm would feed the module bay pin 1. This now allows him to try other modules but always have the DHT provide the first 8. From my reading I think this is how the Taranis is wired?

For some of my questions I've pretty much answered or can just try it, others I'm fishing for the latest recommendations from actual users of all 16 ch.
Telemetry wiring?
Currently the working DJT is feeding com 1. To display the DJT telemetry can I use com 2? Later I'd change that around depending on my final ppm wiring to each module.

I would rather ask a few dumb questions up front then post questions on how to repair my mistakes later. I hate that pop, sizzle sound and that little puff of smoke.
Thanks everyone in advance.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You say this is a SKY Ver 2 board. Is this the one with REV B1 just under the 9X logo on the silk screen?
So you have the USB connector and the SD card socket both on the edge at the bottom?

If so, then just below the bottom right of the processor is a three pin header (or at least the 3 pads) labelled 3.3V PPM2 GND.
This is a second PPM data stream (called PPM2 !), separate from the trainer output. This is the place to connect the second module input.
In the setup you can choose which channel is the start channel and how many channels you send on each of the main and PPM2 signals. This means you can choose to send 1-8 on the main, and 9-16 on PPM2, or 1-8 on PPM2 and 9-16 on the main PPM, or you can send 1-8 on both, or indeed any overlap you like.

There is a selection in the telemetry menu to choose the COM port you want to use for telemetry, so you can wire one module to COM1 and the other to COM2.

We try to think of everything :mrgreen:

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I think the answer to all your questions is yes!
It's all clear now and this will be documented in my notes.
His board is one of the ver 2 production release boards. He has it but I'll have him take a picture of his board. We work on it at the field every week and I send it home with him to work on programming and mixes.
My board is a rev b beta and now that I know about the posable connection options I'll check mine out to see if it has them,
Every time I ask a question the answers are so great! Better than I could have wished for.

One more on 16 ch. What about doing this on a modified 9x board?
I might as well research that at the same time. I'm sure that'll come up and I can try it on one of mine. I have a spare DHT module.
The menu options won't offer a com2 do I'm thinking a switch is needed to select the telemetry data to be read going to the m64.
The extra ppm input will be from the game port with this setup.
Can I use the solder pads on the board for the trainer jack.

I'll make time to read all the wiki info on it today. Think you again, and again.
SM

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

On stock, you use PPM16, and the trainer PPM follows the main PPM. At present, you cannot choose the channels on it.
Yes, you will need a switch on the telemetry signals(s).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok thanks.
I'm good to go. I'm sure that'll come up and I'll be ready.
My first er9x several years ago has a DHT in it because I messed up and killed my DJT.
With all the help over the years I've gotten much smarter now and fix instead destroy.
I think I'll convert it to 16 ch sometime soon to be up on it.
SM

Return to “sky9x upgrade board”