English - American Sound Pack

Sound packs for the new audio mods
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

English - American Sound Pack

Post by Rob Thomson »

An english american sound pack archive for open9x on the gruvin/sky9x board.
Attachments
english-american.zip
(889.23 KiB) Downloaded 2152 times
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

Scott Page

Re: English - American Sound Pack

Post by Scott Page »

You know I would not be asking this question unless I had exhausted my searching. I have worked through the entire English Open9x manual that came out a week or so ago and found very little about sound. I looked throught the FAQ and either I'm missing something or there is little there. I've scoured through numerous threads and found lots on ersky9x but not open9x.

I have a Sky9x board -- 9Gb micro SD - rotary encoder - speaker -- all from SkyNorth. And it works thanks to being pointed in the right directions for a couple questions.

It's installed and working with Open9x - R1563

First thing I need is a definitive description of what to do with this sound pack. Do the sounds belong in a directory on the SD card with a specific name? Can I simply copy them to the SD card and that's good... or is there something in companion9x I need to do to install the sounds?

I want to accomplish some thing with sounds. I can find all sorts of FAQ for er9x sounds but I don't believe it's the same with open9x on sky9x board .. because ... well... things don't look the same and I just can't find concise information on using sounds in Open9x on the Sky9x board.
Yes, I've looked.
sound format? mp3 or wav or what?
bit rate? 8 bit, 16 bit, or what?
Directory on the SD card. I do have the knowledge to address the SD card directly from windows.

I'd like to do the following.
1. assign my own sound to play on a switch (custom or otherwise)
2. assign my own sound to play on startup
3. assign my own sound to play in the background (yes, this is just for showing off).
4. Assign my own sound for the BEEP.

I'll work my way through the FrSKY setup next -- and then I'll want to set sounds for specific situations in FrSKY.

It occurs to me that perhaps Open9x is not the best choice of firmware for my objectives - however I like flight modes. If Open9x is not the best choice somebody please notify me and I'll switch to ersky9x and go that route.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

You can do all you want in open9x.
:-)

Simply download the sound pack via companion. Extract. Then place on sdcard.

Open9x expects all the sounds to be in the 9XSOUNDS folder.

Make sure you use an open9x sound pack as they are different to ersky9x.

You can then assign sounds using custom functions.

Oh.. Plug the usb in with the tx powered up, and it appears as a drive in windows.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Rob Thomson wrote:You can do all you want in open9x.
:-)

Simply download the sound pack via companion. Extract. Then place on sdcard.

Open9x expects all the sounds to be in the 9XSOUNDS folder.

Make sure you use an open9x sound pack as they are different to ersky9x.

You can then assign sounds using custom functions.

Oh.. Plug the usb in with the tx powered up, and it appears as a drive in windows.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Sounds easy. Thanks I'll give it a go tomorrow morning.
kaos

Post by kaos »

May be some one can write something up about how to make a sound file with which program and file format. I still can not play the wav files used in open9x from win media player. the codec Bert suggested won't install on windows media player. It would be nice that individual can make their own wav files.
Certainly enjoyed the freedom of being able to make/change and listen to the wav files in ERSKY9X before it is loaded into the Tx. ;)

bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Are you able to read this sound (pcm mulaw, 16kHz)?
lowbat.zip
(9.12 KiB) Downloaded 640 times
Bertrand.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

bertrand35 wrote:Are you able to read this sound (pcm mulaw, 16kHz)?
The attachment lowbat.zip is no longer available
Bertrand.

I'm able to open it in VLC and Windows media player with Windows7. Sound files I make sound like complete c**p. I attached a file that I would like to have as my startup sound.....
Attachments
Freesky.wav
(510.88 KiB) Downloaded 5447 times
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i Freesky.wav -acodec pcm_alaw -ac 1-ar 16000 Freesky3.wav
Will give you this wav file which is ok with open9x (pcm alaw)
Freesky3.zip
(17.56 KiB) Downloaded 614 times

ffmpeg -i Freesky.wav -acodec pcm_mulaw -ac 1-ar 16000 Freesky2.wav
Will give you this wav file which will be ok with open9x next release (pcm mulaw)
Freesky2.zip
(17.93 KiB) Downloaded 583 times
Bertrand.
kaos

Post by kaos »

I am on a road trip now. ;) only has a macbook with me. It seems I can hear all 3 files in the above link on the mac with iTalk.
I will try them on the PC when I get back (next wk). ;)

all Freesky wav files sounds clearly but like the whispering in the death valley giving me goose bumps. :lol: :lol: :lol:
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Yes but the original file is 32bits, 48kHz and stereo, you have to ask Brent for a true HiFi in the 9x ;)
Bertrand.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

bertrand35 wrote:

ffmpeg -i Freesky.wav -acodec pcm_alaw -ac 1-ar 16000 Freesky3.wav
Will give you this wav file which is ok with open9x (pcm alaw)
Freesky3.zip

ffmpeg -i Freesky.wav -acodec pcm_mulaw -ac 1-ar 16000 Freesky2.wav
Will give you this wav file which will be ok with open9x next release (pcm mulaw)
Freesky2.zip
Bertrand.
Thank you.

Please, what program did you use to convert this file to the formats you converted these to. What settings are required.

I have a bunch of different software -- but not sure what settings need to be. Once I have the ability to convert my own files I may be very busy. :D
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

What he said - ffmpeg, and he used the command line he mentioned in his post ;)
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Kilrah wrote:What he said - ffmpeg, and he used the command line he mentioned in his post ;)
Learning curve my ass. I'm scaling a learning cliff. http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ Thanks for the belay.
njozsef

Post by njozsef »

I wroted simple vbscript for windows platform
http://code.google.com/p/open9x-er9x-vo ... or-script/
Please test. Thx.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Is there interest in a collection of all of the sounds recorded by a real person or several collections --- one male, one female, one sultry, one gruff -- or whatever? I'm down with the sound stuff now and I've got a heck of a collection of sounds (about 80 gig) as well as a recording studio and I have several voice actors as well. The "frsky" sound that I uploaded earlier is an example of the type of thing we can do.

If there is no interest, there is no reason to spend the time, energy or money (most voice actors don't work for free). If there is interest -- I'd be happy to get with the program and bring out some sound packs.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I think there would be interest... But at the moment I get the feeling it is a moving target! You may find you never canvas all the voice requirements!
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Rob Thomson wrote:I think there would be interest... But at the moment I get the feeling it is a moving target! You may find you never canvas all the voice requirements!
True that. I also hope there will be more options for voice assignment and timing of repeating cycles. For example, when assigning a switch it would be pretty sweet to attach a sound to the switch in that dialog w/out having to navigate to the custom switch menu -- but for the current time I'm pretty enthused about the custom switch menu. I'd also like to see the ability to make custom beeps, unless I just have not found that ability yet. I need more free time to play with the tx.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

I'm planning on using me studio talent to do a set of voice packages.

Here is what I have planned so far.
First out the door will be plain old me.
Second will be kermit the frog
Third will be Sultry Sally (the gal that did our the FrSKY sound I've shared)
If I can get a decent Mr. T that will be next.
Is anybody interested in Pee Wee Herman? We have him.
Not going to do Barney. "I love you, you love me, let's get your airplane away from that tree"

Any other ideas. Thought about a hodge podge of different celebrity impressions for one package.

I want each sound package to have a standardized set of sounds (identical names) so the commands won't need to change just swap out the folder of sounds. The thing is -- before I get my talent in the studio recording I need to be sure I have a complete list of sounds that might be used. If anybody has such a list I'm open to juxtapose it against what I'm putting together. I'm using this sound package as the starting point.
kaos

Post by kaos »

you can use this to create natural voice of any thing, there are about 10 different male/female voices of various accent in english. Just type in the word/sentences and record. put it in SD. It will work. do 10 or under at a time, or it will ask you to buy the program.

http://www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

kaos wrote:you can use this to create natural voice of any thing, there are about 10 different male/female voices of various accent in english. Just type in the word/sentences and record. put it in SD. It will work. do 10 or under at a time, or it will ask you to buy the program.

http://www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

Perhaps it's because I was working on synthesized speech way back in 1979 and 1980 that I have a huge and unreasonable bias against it. It's nothing against you or anybody in particular - I just hear every nuance that's wrong and it drives me nuts.

Besides... who can argue with Mr. T saying -- "It's time to land foo!" ;-)
kaos

Post by kaos »

I welcome any sound package or single file. Mine is already a mix of at least 5 different sources. ;) whichever file(s) sound good to my ear I will take it and mix it in. ;)
but to have an easy way like the ATT (or any ) to make any sounds by yourself is fun.

LIke when I have many people showing off their 800.00 Tx around me, I will flip my TRN to play this: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
0269.wav
(127.23 KiB) Downloaded 5068 times
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

open9x / sky9x board now accepts mulaw codec (plus as before alaw and pcm signed 16bits low endian)
Bertrand.
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Mr T would be hilarious.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Crucial wrote:Mr T would be hilarious.
Of course one has to appreciate the A-Team and Mr. T's fear of flight to "get it". I've been thinking of scouring the episodes and looking for bits to capture.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

I'm working on creating sound packages that will be standardized with phrases and announcements -- but this project is going very slowly because I've been very ill and had other major distractions.
In the interim I've added here some semi-organized sounds and a couple screen shots that may help those struggling with implementing sounds or implementing sounds with telemetry.

I have grand plans to have sound packages with real voices in various languages as well as fictional characters -- but before I start flogging around making a mess I still need to lay down some organization.

You might ask why different voices? I Plan to use different voices for different models -- to try to match the model to the voice.
You might want to have a male voice announce high rate and a female voice low rate - or some similar scenario .. so you have a frequency cue to the announcement as well as the words. Additionally, you may want to couple two sounds or string sounds together -- so a particular tone sounds after certain announcements... Or the first warning generates the first sounds (such as a sequence as voltage drops).. second the first followed by the second, and the third the first followed by the second, followed by the third. such as "low battery" .. siren... "get your ass on the ground you gravy sucking pig".

But in the mean time I have these few sounds and screen shots to share.
Attachments
switches.jpg
functions.jpg
converted ulaw.rar
(2.39 MiB) Downloaded 467 times
convertedalaw.rar
(900.76 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
Mike.rar
(1.49 MiB) Downloaded 490 times

Return to “Sound Pack Library”