Electronics app for Android

Want to ask about that much needed test equipment? Looking for something new? Check in here!
Kilrah

Electronics app for Android

Post by Kilrah »

Not exactly "test equipment", but nevertheless a great tool for electronics..

I recently switched from the iOS world to Android (Galaxy S3) and was looking for equivalents of my apps, one of which being a simple resistor color code thingy, and I found something heaps better - ElectroDroid.

It packs an insane amount of useful info, decoder for all number and color based components, calculators for various kind of common circuits (LED resistors, opamps, 555, resistor combinations), wire size unit conversions (usually hard to find even online!), pinouts of tons of common connectors and much more...

And if you fancy a full circuit simulator, it integrates with EveryCircuit, which is also amazing in itself!

Crucial

Re: Electronics app for Android

Post by Crucial »

What was the app you used in ios?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Resistor Cal - but it didn't do anything more than the name says...
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

One android app I would suggest... SwiftKey. Not electronic in any way, but the keyboard actually works more like the iOS ones. Magically auto corrects most typos and grammar errors :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I think the keyboard NOT being like the iOS one is one of the best features on the S3 :D
I found autocorrect useless on the iPhone, but the Samsung keyboard works perfectly and is way faster to type with!
The keyboard was the main reason for me going as little as I could where I'd have to type things in the iPhone. The small screen was the 2nd...

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Lol..... Guess it back depends non how we work and use the device.

On the nexus, I have found the keyboard rubbish. I have the new SwiftKey one sorts out ball the problems :-)
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Rob Thomson wrote:Lol..... Guess it back depends non how we work and use the device.

On the nexus, I have found the keyboard rubbish. I have the new SwiftKey one sorts out ball the problems :-)
I can see that... :roll:

I just installed Swiftkey trial, it's indeed pretty good too... not sure it's that much better than stock though. One thing is cool, is it seems to manage switching autocorrect language automatically pretty well. I really need both English and French intermixed, and that was a pain on iOS. On the Samsung keyboard it only takes a quick swipe on the space bar, and the active one is displayed.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I would guess that the Samsung one is not stock android :-)

The default none that comes with jelly bean is rubbish!
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

And yes..... 99% of the problems get fixed.

I have a constant issue when using touch screens that I press the B when aiming for the space bar :-$
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No, it's better than stock indeed... Samsung have made quite a few very decent improvements throughout the system. I'm still on ICS by the way. I only rooted and replaced the kernel, not completely changed ROM. I only got the phone Friday evening too...
Irish Steve

Post by Irish Steve »

If God had intended us to type on a keyboard the size of a matchbox, we'd have been equipped with inbuilt nail sharpeners.

I HATE trying to text on the modern phones, the keypads just don't fit my fingers, and trying to find a phone that has a sensible size keypad just ain't going to happen any more, so 99% of my on line work is done from the laptop. At least there's a chance that way that what ends up on the page will make some sort of sense. Not always, but hey, I have to have some excuse!
Irish Steve

If it was easy, shure, would't we all be doin it?

_
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I must say this phone makes it nearly pleasant next to the iThing... I'll start doing something with my phone again !

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9300 avec Tapatalk
Peter

Post by Peter »

Thanks for the electrodroid link! Great app!

I am using the AOSP jellybean keyboard. Used swift key, but to many bad corrections and other strange things.
Galaxy S3 has cyanogenmod 10 with siyah kernel, best phone + software.

Return to “Reviews”