DSM2 work

Like DSM2/DSMX? Want to mod your radio to support it? Post your messages here!
pmackenzie

Re: DSM2 work

Post by pmackenzie »

My LP modules work with any of the DSM modes.
They just seem to ignore the bits in the first byte that set the operating modes for the DX4e module.

How full the EEPROM is should have no effect on overall transmitter performance.

Transient problems like this are hard to track down. It took me quite a while to find the early problems with the DSM2 code, and that was happening once or twice a flight.

Do you have any other mods to your radio?
Haptic, speaker,frysky,back light?
Did the loss of control happen when the timer was beeping or anything else you can recall?

You did say you lacked the pull up resistor on the input to the DSM2 module.
Mine don't work at all without it, it might be working with yours but not optimally.

Pat MacKenzie

uphiearl

Post by uphiearl »

The one problem I have is the initial bind process. Takes several minuets sometimes with turning the tx on/off holding training sw several seconds. No splash or warning screens turned on.
Any help here ?
Load rev 736 Blade mQX Quad. (flys great with 9x)

Earl
Daryoon

Post by Daryoon »

That's odd. I've binded with SR120, mSR and 6400 RX from the UM Corsair. They all binded within 10 seconds the first time. All subsequent reconnects are near instant. Something doesn't sound right with yours. Anybody else have feedback?
pesadilla

Post by pesadilla »

pmackenzie wrote:
Do you have any other mods to your radio?
Haptic, speaker,frysky,back light?
Did the loss of control happen when the timer was beeping or anything else you can recall?

You did say you lacked the pull up resistor on the input to the DSM2 module.
Mine don't work at all without it, it might be working with yours but not optimally.

Pat MacKenzie
The only other mods are: cheap HK backlight (modded to work with ER9x) and 3S Lipo battery (if you can call that a mod).

Loss of control happened once at take off, so no timer beeping or anything else special that I can think of.

Mine is one of the "earlier mods", at first I tried with a led (without succes), then tried with diode and that has been working perfectly (until now), didn't have a reason to open the TX again to add a resistor.

It could be the lack of a resistor that is causing the loss of control (or the lack of a good 3,3 v power source) but that doens't explain why it has been working perfect for a few months and made me lose connection 3 times last saturday evening.
I should have had problems earlier but didn't...

I'll probably wait for the BEC to arrive and then change the LP module to a HP module (DX5), add the BEC and the resistor.
That should solve the problem but I would really like to know what's causing my problem.

This being said... I'm still very thankfull for the support you guys are giving here and for all the work you put in this great firmware!!!

Greetz,

Pesadilla
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

deadaim57 wrote:Just one question,will the metal handle interfear with the range?
Tom
Regarding the transmitter antenna. How long is the radiating element? Is it like a receiver which is approx 29 or 30mm or is it near the full length of the mast? If it is short like a receiver and the radiating element is located in the tip of the mast then there would be no interference from the TX carrying handle. If it is the full length of the mast, do a range check to verify satisfactory performance for what/how you fly.

Ted

Crucial

Post by Crucial »

I think all of our 2.4ghz antennas are around the same length. They are the short parts at the end. My 4LP antenna looked just like a 9x v2 Rx antenna on the end
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

I know that is so for receivers but my question is about the transmitter's element.

Ted
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

My RTF 4LP Tx antenna looked the same as the 9xV2 Rx's antenna on the end minus the red shrink tube.
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

http://martybugs.net/wireless/rubberducky.cgi

a good breakdown of the rubber ducky antennas
deadaim57

Post by deadaim57 »

I don't no what it looks like,there is no way to pull the wire from the rubber antenna part that sticks up.Or do I need to just measure from the bend up to the tip?
Tom
Jefte

Post by Jefte »

blitzrcworks_2_4ghz_reciever.jpg
What are the odds of getting this receiver to bind? The sticker says DSM, but who knows with these cheap Chinese products...

Came out of a Blitz RC Works plane. I tried binding via my LP module, tried the various settings (lp4/5, dsm2, dsm only, etc) without luck. Didn't bind with the stock 9x module either.
Daryoon

Post by Daryoon »

It could be the older DSM, not DSM2. The two protocol doesn't work with one another. i.e. Spektrum's Dx6 versus the Dx6i
Hexperience

Re: DSM Directory

Post by Hexperience »

Hello, and thanks for all your work and input!

I'm looking for a summary page or chart of the different DSM modules, their features and pros/cons. I'm going to do the mod, but not sure which module to use. I have access to a few.

As an example;
Module name: xxx
Found in: Dx4e
Protocol: ...
Power: High
Channels: 6
DSM mode: 2 or X
Solder or Plug

Basically something that will help to decide which to use and where to source it.
If there is such a page, can you link to it here? Thanks again!
Sky9X: One radio to rule them all, and in the darkness BIND them.
cre8tiveleo

Re: DSM Directory

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Bottom of the wiki for the dsm upgrade states some info.

All the dsm modules for lp4 are the same. The HP versions are ore or less the same, the wiki has a sample of two types, one with pins on one side, the other with pins on the other, the pin assignments are identicle. (see spektrum.pdf for specific pin values) Two version are atmx10 atmx11 (so far) then revisions b and c. lp and hp modules give us 6 channels.

All this info is within the threads and discussions. You're more than welcome to comile the information you requested and share with the community your findings as well.
Crucial

DSM2 work

Post by Crucial »

Latest install of an hp module out of a dx5e.

I found a 12v - 3.3v regulator out of an old fm tx that I used. That's why it's connected to the battery powered leg.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330758697.879801.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330758679.397273.jpg
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

Guys,

Is there a way to switch power between both RF modules instead of transmitting on both at the same time?
Maintain thine airspeed.
Lest the ground arise and smite thee!
Crucial

DSM2 work

Post by Crucial »

Some people have installed a switch that switches the power and ppm line to each device. A DPDT switch would work well here.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... symbol.svg
deadaim57

Post by deadaim57 »

erazz wrote:If you can then update to r708.
Though the DSM2 is much the same we did have a change in the eeprom structure.
Ok I found r708 but I don't no what one to use so that I can use my Flysky for airplanes and heli's.Can someone help?
Thanks
Tom
Daryoon

Post by Daryoon »

I do it with a SPST or DPDT switch. Either will work. But I only switch power.

Basically, I solder the 5v line to the middle point on the switch. Then the left point goes to the 3.3v regulator to power the DSM2 module and the right point can go to the 5v pin on the rear module. The last thing you have to do is cut the trace that powers the module.

When I get a chance, I'll upload a photo if you can figure out what I am trying to say. LOL
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

Thanks,

A photo of the switch would be good :)
Maintain thine airspeed.
pesadilla

Post by pesadilla »

HI All,

**** PROBLEM SOLVED **** : it seems that binding with a backed up model takes much longer than with a newly created model.

I just have encountered a strange problem.

I had a working system with a LP module but wanted to change that into a HP module coming from a DX5.

Things I did:
I made a backup of all my models (with EEPE)
Changed the LP module for a HP module (using a 3.3 v bec for power)
Upgraded to the latest version of ER-9x
Used my backup to put my models back on the TX (again with EEPE)

Problem I have: my planes won't bind with the backups I have put back.
If I create a new model, binding goes perfect and everything works.

Any ideas? Am I overlooking something?

Greetz,

Pesadilla
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

I have no experience yet with DSM and the 9X as I have used Spektrum with DSM BNF models, however, if anyone finds it difficult to bind a model try moving the Tx further away because too close often results in no bind, and this is documented by Spektrum as an issue.
Maintain thine airspeed.
pesadilla

Post by pesadilla »

I thought I wasn't being patient enough when binding but I went flying this evening and still had some issues with binding.

I tried to bind a BNF plane with my TX without succes.
It's a model I saved to my computer before upgrading my low power DSM module to a high power module.
At the same time I did a firmware upgrade.

No way of getting it to work... until I made a copy of that model to an empty slot in my TX ..tried binding again and worked immediatly.

I had a similar problem with other models that where saved before doing my upgrades.
A new plane (and rx) binds immediatly and without issues.

Is there a logic explanation for this or could this be somekind of bug in the firmware?

Greetz,

Pesadilla
Crucial

DSM2 work

Post by Crucial »

Could it be that the previous model from the earlier firmware revision didn't have the model match bit included?
deadaim57

Post by deadaim57 »

deadaim57 wrote:
erazz wrote:If you can then update to r708.
Though the DSM2 is much the same we did have a change in the eeprom structure.
Ok I found r708 but I don't no what one to use so that I can use my Flysky for airplanes and heli's.Can someone help?
Thanks
Tom
Repost..
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

What do you want exactly? Switch between the spektrum module and the stock one?
pesadilla

Post by pesadilla »

Crucial wrote:Could it be that the previous model from the earlier firmware revision didn't have the model match bit included?
My first setup was with a low power module, I suppose without model match.

Now I have an high power module from a DX5...

I sure would like to know the reason (and solution) for this.

Greetz,

Pesadilla
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

If your old module did not support model match then the receivers would have previously been bound as model "0".
Not only that, but the new module has a different GUID as well, so you would have to rebind all of them even without model match.

But I can't quite understand what is going on in your case. Do you mean binding which you do once with a new model, or linking which is done every time you turn on?

Can you replicate the problem at will, and if so, describe the steps exactly?

Pat MacKenzie
pesadilla

Post by pesadilla »

The changes I made to my TX:
1)Before changing the module I made a backup off al my models to my computer.
2)I changed the module for a high power module, upgraded tot the (at that moment) latest ER-9x version.
3)Put my saved models back on my TX.

I was expecting to have to rebind all my models so that's not really the problem.

The problem is that for some strange reason my TX won't (re)bind to a model that was bond before (with the older firmware and low power module).
As an example: I have a micro T-28 Trojan with build in DSM receiver.
I flew it with the LP module and tried to rebind after putting in the HP module ... didn't succeed.
I made a copy of the model to an empty slot in my TX and tried to bind again... worked immediatly.
Similar problems occured with other models also. If i use a brand new RX (not bond before with my TX), I have no problem binding.

My "conclusion": I only have a problem with models that previously (before upgrading to high power module and latest firmware) where bond and that have been restored from my computer, it looks like my TX (or RX) somehow remembers the old bind and simply refuses to make a new bind.

I hope my explanation is somewhat understandable, my native language is dutch...

Greetz,

Pesadilla
deadaim57

Post by deadaim57 »

Hiya guys,
I have asked this :?: but no one has gave me a answer yet so here it goes again.(SORRY)
I am doing the HP DSM module mod and need to know what FW do I use in the r708 file.
I was told to upgrade to the r708 but I don't no what one to use. :oops:
Do I use the Latest Binaries or the Stable Binaries? Or just click on the r708?
Thanks for the help
Tom
Attachments
Capture.PNG

Return to “DSM2/DSMX Mods”