eepe avrdude not working after dsm2 mod

Like DSM2/DSMX? Want to mod your radio to support it? Post your messages here!
stretton74

Post by stretton74 »

As the title says, i am having trouble with eepe avrdude not working after dsm2 mod. it cam up with a few errors. i did download some files off 9x forum not able to remember who now but some put up some cpp files or something like that and some blade mcpx eepe settings.added them into my eepe file not sure if that stuffed it up or my dsm2 mod.
trying to fault find
1. reinstalled eepe software now avrdude not runnign just blank page after i click write to memory tcx button.not reading memory either
2 dsm2 mod is working and so is the original modual both currnetly runnig at same time as i have taken power of the main board temporarily. both have been tested fine.
3. next will checked that usbasp is installed ok in device manager, eepe has been working perfect prior.
Any ideas ?

Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Double check the path to avrdude in the settings. Let us know what it says.
cre8tiveleo

Re: eepe avrdude not working after dsm2 mod

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Make sure the programmer is getting enough power . Check the jumper for supplying power or not. That may have an effect too.
stretton74

Post by stretton74 »

i have checked the path for arvdude alll is ok there, and i have the power light on the usbasp green light nice and bright. thinking i might desolder the dsm2 module toconfirm if this is the issue as nothing else is really different now i have reinstalled eepe and looked at the usbasp driver all good there tried to reinstall driver but got windows msg saying its the best already and is working.
stretton74

Post by stretton74 »

here is the error msg if it helps

avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

How is the radio powered when you try to flash? Looks kind of like if there was no power.

If it's powered through the usbasp, then try to desolder just the power supply wire from the DSM module, and try again. If it works, then the usbasp can't supply enough power. That wouldn't surprise me, because from what I've seen the DSM module draws current in short, ample spikes that might cause voltage dips when powered by USB and long wires.

In this case I'd interrupt the power supply from the usbasp to the radio, and simply power the 9x up with the switch for flashing.

Also, how are you powering the DSM module? What 3.3V regulator, and where did you pick 5V power to connect it?
stretton74

Post by stretton74 »

it powered through the usbasp the screen is on showing flashing 4.7v
i am powering module from the main board of the 3.3v ponit, its only a temp not intending to fly with this power option as of brown outs. it was meely to see if the module is working. i confirmed it is working with the orangerx r415 in my HK extra 540 and as i have read the unit looses its signal and drops out and reboots the rx. so definatley not flying till my UBEC from HK shows up. at this point i will put in a switch to go between the two moduls.
stretton74

Post by stretton74 »

another question can you confirm the trace i can cut to drop the power to the original module. is it in the same row as where the ppm signal comes from but not the top pin but the third down from the top of the tx.
stretton74

Post by stretton74 »

same msg for when i turn on tx power it will not read or write with arvdude
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

stretton74 wrote:i am powering module from the main board of the 3.3v ponit
OK, then no need to look further. The already low supply from USB with the added load of the module will certainly bring the board voltage down to brownout reset levels.
stretton74

Post by stretton74 »

Been away for a little while back back at it with a fresh look on it. It appears there was a busted wire on the plug. My fault may have knocked it installing dsm2 unit. Have it all working again binding to mcpx and orange r415 nicely. Have now got the switch working between the 2 protocol fuss and dsm2/x, also noted that I can bind to the HK TR6A V2 from hobby king.
Thanks for the help though but I have good understanding of how to do this all now if anyone else needs help.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

"i am powering module from the main board of the 3.3v ponit, its only a temp not intending to fly with this power option as of brown outs."
You said this yourself. The first thing I would have tried was to disconnect this so you aren't at least getting brown outs.
And as far as the error message goes. The computer can talk to the programmer, it is what it is trying to program that doesn't answer. This always means a connection or power issue.
This is info for the searchers that will come later,
-Gohst
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

stretton74 wrote:it powered through the usbasp the screen is on showing flashing 4.7v
And that is why you use one of these to power any usb programmer. Mine never shows 4.7, always 5.2 or 5.4.

Mine is a thicker better quality one, shorter too, but it ensures you get the full usb voltage of 5.x volts. (and then some extra) 8-)
stretton74

Post by stretton74 »

oh forgot to mention i now also installed the HK UBEC and not taking power from 3.3v point of main board. it has full power now.

Return to “DSM2/DSMX Mods”