DSM for dummys?

Like DSM2/DSMX? Want to mod your radio to support it? Post your messages here!
Angoradreng

Re: DSM for dummys?

Post by Angoradreng »

Ok so , both antennas in the 9X,and flashing the prom with ER9 software, to get the DSM2 module to work .
With the mentioned switch in my link, Will it only power 1 module at a time?

pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

Angoradreng wrote:So i have to Mount both antennas?

Yes, if you want to use the Flysky module and receiver. I'm assuming that you have the version of the 9x where the antenna for the stock module is mounted on the radio body and connected to the module via the antenna cable (which defeats the purpose of having a removable module in the first place.) I moved the Flysky antenna to the module where it should have been to start with.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

A DSMx question. Having abandoned dsm2 for Frsky after to many link losses I recently revisited dsm2 with the er9x mod. After several good flights I again suffered a few holds in flight. Enough to convince me I'll only be using my DSM for indoor flying BNF.
It did come to mind that the dx4e module and er9x menu does offer dsmx as another option. I'm thinking of buying a Dsmx RX just to see if it's a better link.
My question is, if I do select Dsmx in the er9x menu with a dx4e rf mod will I actually be in the Dsmx mode with a Dsmx receiver? How will I know?
Thanks

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

ShowMaster wrote:My question is, if I do select Dsmx in the er9x menu with a dx4e rf mod will I actually be in the Dsmx mode with a Dsmx receiver? How will I know?
You should, yep. Not sure you can know, unless the receiver shows it by different LED blinks or such.
clearsking

Post by clearsking »

Why then are there antennas on the retail spektrum and frsky plug n modules? If that were the case then the modules would use the existing antenna when they are plugged in. Or am I missing something here in the general question? Sorry but when I posted this the original question seemed to vanish, it was something about both antennas having to be on simultaneously posted by showmaster.

clearsking

throttle is left to right

Post by clearsking »

Hello all, well i have my th9x all flashed and binding to orange r610 units. However the throttle only works when the left stick is moved from left to right, I can not seem to find where to change the axis, only to reverse the stick and that is not the issue here. Has anyone ran across this problem before?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

clearsking wrote:Why then are there antennas on the retail spektrum and frsky plug n modules? If that were the case then the modules would use the existing antenna when they are plugged in. Or am I missing something here in the general question?
You cannot easily connect / disconnect antennas for 2.4GHz. On 72MHz it was no problem running the antenna connection on a module slot pin, but in 2.4GHz this would cause huge losses. You need a proper RF connector that needs screwing etc, so would not be practical and more expensive than each module having its own antenna.
Kilrah

Re: throttle is left to right

Post by Kilrah »

clearsking wrote:However the throttle only works when the left stick is moved from left to right, I can not seem to find where to change the axis, only to reverse the stick and that is not the issue here. Has anyone ran across this problem before?
If not done yet, you first need to go in the radio setup menu (long left) and set your stick mode correctly.
Then for Spektrum the channel order is Throttle, Aileron, Elevator, Rudder. So you need to go to the mixer screen and assign the channels accordingly.
If you now only use DSM, or are happy with that ordering for all your models, you can set the default channel order in radio setup to TAER, so that the new models you'll create later directly get the correct assignment.
clearsking

Post by clearsking »

Thanks, I remember seeing stick modes but I must have missed something in the setup, (that's why it ended up as ATER). I try that and post how it worked out. I'm running the ER9X firmware v732 I think.
clearsking

Post by clearsking »

The aileron and throttle were reversed in setup because it was set on mode 1. I set it to mode 4 which is TAER then set them up in the same order in the mix control menu. But the throttle is still running the motor only when I push the left stick to the right. I thought maybe the firmware flash did not take correctly.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

clearsking wrote:I set it to mode 4 which is TAER
No, stick mode and channel order are different things.

Stick mode is what stick you want to use for which function. See the little icons. The most common are 1 and 2.
Once this is set, then you set channel order to match either your preference, or like in this case of an RTF model the order that particular manufacturer has chosen.
clearsking

Post by clearsking »

I got it working, It was a combination of three screen settings. The first was the mode, Second was in the settings menu, Third was in the model type. It took a couple of times to get it where it stayed put. I have a module from a DX4E And was wondering If I could use the same 3.3 V tap On the TH9X radio to power it. I have a beast 3-D And GeeBee R2 That I want to fly But I don't trust The toy module That's currently installed From a hobby zone champ. Do I need a UBEC or can the 3.3 volts be used to power the DX4E module? Thanks
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

It's been reported by several users that the 9x 3.3V LR is not adequate to power the module and reboots will occur. If you still have the DX4E you could use the 3.3 reg from that as described in the Wiki.
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

correct, do not use the 3.3v from the mainboard to power a high power dsm module. It will cause your radio to reboot. A 3.3v UBEC will work fine or as the previous post said the 3.3 vreg from the dx4e will work.
clearsking

Post by clearsking »

Feed the regulator directly from the battery?
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Thats what I did on mine. I used the vreg out of the small rtf tx. I have a low power unit in mine but the setup for the high powers is the same.
clearsking

Post by clearsking »

I just did not want to burn up the regulator as the batteries originally used in the DX4E total 6vdc and the Lipo in my TH9X is 11.1vdc. So if it takes up to 12vdc it should work. I was going to order one of those 3.3vdc UBEC's on Ebay for $6.90 but if this works and has been for you and others, it should be ok. Thanks again for helping me to see things more clearly.
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Does the 3.3 vreg have a part # on it? You could look up the datasheet and see what it is rated for.

If you're worried about it you could use the 5v from the back board or the switch board.
Angoradreng

Post by Angoradreng »

How do you get 6v in a DX4e ?

In mine there is only 4x1.2 volt batteries. In my schooltime that was 4,8 volt :-)
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

He's more than likely figuring on 1.5v alkalines.
clearsking

Post by clearsking »

Most owners just upgrade their TH9X to something like a 1300Mah 11.1vdc Lipo, if they fly every day they might only have to charge it once a month. Even a DX7 with a 10.8vdc will work with one. I thnk even the toy dsm radios can run on a small 2s Lipo with 7.4vdc rating. Most v regulators are pretty generic and can take higher input voltages, it's the output voltage that has to be clamped down. In a small device calling for 6vdc you really won't get that unless you at least use alkalines.

Return to “DSM2/DSMX Mods”