9+ channels on a 9X

Like DSM2/DSMX? Want to mod your radio to support it? Post your messages here!
DAVEC921

9+ channels on a 9X

Post by DAVEC921 »

I am looking at getting a 9x. In the future I would like more then 8 channels.
From what I have read It would be possible to have more then 8 channels using the er9x FW but I would have to use another modual.
my question could any newer module from a Spektrum be installed in the 9x to be able to bind an then use the RX for more then 8 channels.
I see that Spektrum has a 18 channel TX and RX now. Those are the RX I was looking to be able to use in the future.
Thanks
DAVE

Kilrah

Re: 9+ channels on a 9X

Post by Kilrah »

At this point, no.
I wouldn't count on Spektrum for >8CH on the 9x. We're (im)patiently waiting for the upcoming 16CH frsky solution, should be the most appropriate.

I'm using 12CH today with a Futaba FASST module on my 9x. There's a compatible Corona 14CH TX/RX module available too AFAIK.
DAVEC921

Post by DAVEC921 »

Thanks for the info Kilrah.
Were would be the best place to get the Corona TX/RX for instal in the the 9X.
Soldering an modding is not an issue. I have worked on smt boards before.
Granted is was back in highscool but I am still very handy with a soldering iron.
thanks
DAVE
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No idea, but a search for "corona" on the forum might yield some results, I remember someone posting about it.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Then only other option is ppm16.

But you need two transmitter modules and antennas.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Kilrah wrote:At this point, no....

What, then why does my DSM9 give me 9channels... very weird... very weird...
kaos

Post by kaos »

HK has some corona, pick the one that is for you: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... tegory=292
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

cre8tiveleo wrote:What, then why does my DSM9 give me 9channels... very weird... very weird...
I was talking about the DSM hack, that's limited to 6 channels at this point using the simple serial protocol.

The DM9 could be an option if 9 channels is enough for him, and if he can still find one (they're becoming very rare). He didn't sound like he'd settle with 9 though as he's targeting the 18CH RX.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

We hope that FrSky will provide more than 8 channels, using PXX to a module. This is quite possible, they have defined the protocol to support 16 channels, and since their transmitter (in development) should support more that 8 they should be doing something about it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
DAVEC921

Post by DAVEC921 »

Thanks again for all the info.
I have sent in an order for the 9X. I am just getting started so 8 will work for me for right now as I will be flying foamy off the bat.
But I will be working on a FW 190A that I will be building from plans. Im tying to get the plans scanned so I can have the pieces lazer cut. That is why later on down the road I want
More then 9 channels. Hopefully by then Frsky will have there stuff out so I can just solder it right in. Or I will get the 14 corona.
Thanks again for all the info
DAVE
Mantrid

Post by Mantrid »

for more than 8 channels possible use any german ACT rx\tx
http://www.acteurope.de/shop/product_in ... ts_id=2725
or
http://www.acteurope.de/shop/product_in ... ts_id=2806

+
http://www.acteurope.de/shop/product_in ... ts_id=3072

(with or without telemetry )
for telemetry ACT use m-bus protocol (now not supported for 9x system :((( )

really great product !! i have one 16s TX and 1xRX ....
DAVEC921

Post by DAVEC921 »

Thanks for the links Mantrid.
Ill have to see about getting it translated so I know what Im reading. But those look promising.
DAVE
Mantrid

Post by Mantrid »

you can read English manual for any act products

http://www.acteurope.de/Vergleichenglisch.pdf
http://www.acteurope.de/Instructions_S3 ... r_T-a2.pdf

PS
all ACT rx\tx have DSL port (dsl = UART with simple act dsl protocol )
all ACT rx have DSL uart port for connect 2x- 4x RX in parallel

very usefully for multicopters ) for example :uavp-ng multicopter project use DSLuart as standart signal input from RX
DAVEC921

Post by DAVEC921 »

Thanks for all the info.
I will look those up in the future. I just got my 9X today.
Now I have to get servos an battery's an then make a foamy.
Im sure I will be picking all your brains on how to so mixes an such,
I am a total noob when it comes to rc planes.
Thanks
DAVE
DAVEC921

Post by DAVEC921 »

Ok I have been watching the Videos on line on how to set up my ER9X.
The only thing my brain cant wrap around is that in the video on youtube he is setting his 9X up on mode 4.
I want to set mine up on Mode2.
I know what I want the stick to do But I cant find on what channel that movement is.
IE Left stick up an down is throttle. What Channel is that.
If someone could please let me know The first 4 channels for mode 2 that would be awesome.
CH1 Is ...............
CH2 Is ...............
CH3 Is ..............
CH4 Is ..............
Thanks.
DAVE
kaos

Post by kaos »

in er9x you can use any ch for any stick movement. It is specified in the mix

ch1 100% THR
ch2 100% AIL
ch1 is throttle , ch2 is aileron

you can also use
ch1 100% AIL
ch2 100% THR
then ch1 is aileron, ch2 is throttle

It is up to you to define which ch is what. Since I started with stock T9X which uses AETR as its ch setting. I just kept the same order.
ch1 100% AIL
ch2 100% ELE
ch3 100% THR
ch4 100% RUD

in the menu setup there is a place to set 'mode' and convention : AETR, TEAR.. whatever, it just makes those template to come out like Mode 1,2,3 or AETR correctly.
hope this help you understand er9x. It does take some getting used to. If you turn your brain into Nerds thinking (instead of wrap around), it will be natural. :mrgreen:
Believe me, when I started using er9x, my brain turned into a pile of noodles. I think I just poked my head out of the noodle pile. Because, my brain is kind of turning nerdy now. ;)

One example is THR, it is both a switch and a stick depends on where it appears. Nerdy!
DAVEC921

Post by DAVEC921 »

Thanks Kaos.
So if I am understanding you correctly. When I go into setup of ER9X an have it in mode two.
Then no matter what channel I assign to thr it will always be on the left stick. So the mode setting says this stick controls this. And you set what channel it is on from there.
IE in mode 2 the left stick up an down movement is Throttle. So no matter what channel I assign throttle to it will be controlled by the left stick.
Im sorry Im being slow on the uptake. An thanks for all the help.

As of right now I only have the TX, 4 RX, 4 servos. 4ESC, 2 out runners. I have no batteries nor do I have any planes or chargers.
I am buying stuff as I can afford it. Next on the list is Battery's an a charger. I plan on making Foam planes for my first flying attempts.
I am just now trying to learn the TX.
My friend back in Ohio is going to send me a Flight SIM so I can practice an that should help me learn the TX as well.
Im sure Ill have a lot more to ask later down the road.
Thanks again
DAVE
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

THR, AIL, ELE, RUD are inputs. They correspond to the usual functions.
The mode settings defines which physical stick each of those are mapped to. So in mode 2, the THR stick will be left etc.

Channels are servo outputs (the numbers on the receiver). You can assign any input to each output with the mixer screen.

So when you set a "100% THR" line on CH3, it means the servo connected to CH3 will move with the THR stick, and 100% of stick movement will result in 100% of standard servo movement.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Dave921:
yep, Kilrah made it more clear, i hope. ;)
mode will define which stick is THR, AIL, RUD, ELE. in the mix you designate which ch those 4 are assigned to. say in mode 2 (left stick is throttle/thr), But if you connect your ESC to ch2 and use ch2 100% ele, your ele stick becomes your throttle which is sort of mode 1. (but in mode selection, you defined left stick as THR, and in mix you can change that and the ele stick becomes the throttle again)
I think this is the hardest part for some one new to er9x (like me just a few months ago). Those ail, rud, ele, thr is just a 'label' for the physical stick/switch. when you set mode you defined which stick is 'labelled' for what. then in mix you can assign that stick/label to any ch you want. I think if you think those THr, AIL, RUD, ELE as A , B, C, D may be easier to understand. in mode select you define which is A,B,C,D then in mix you assign their function (at least for me). By convention, we are engrained with thr as throttle, ail as aileron, rud as rudder. then with the flexibility of the mix in er9x, everything can be changed. in the beginning, it take some head turning. (again as I said, at least for me).
kaos

Post by kaos »

Dave921:
yep, Kilrah made it more clear, i hope. ;)
mode will define/label which stick is THR, AIL, RUD, ELE. in the mix you designate which ch those 4 are assigned to. say in mode 2 (left stick is throttle/thr), But if you connect your ESC to ch2 and use ch2 100% ele, your ele stick becomes your throttle which is sort of mode 1. (but in mode selection, you defined left stick as THR, and in mix you can change that and the ele stick becomes the throttle again)
I think this is the hardest part for some one new to er9x (like me just a few months ago). Those ail, rud, ele, thr is just a 'label' for the physical stick/switch. when you set mode you defined which stick is 'labelled' for what. then in mix you can assign that stick/label to any ch you want. I think if think those THr, AIL, RUD, ELE as A , B, C, D may be easier to understand. in mode select you define which is A,B,C,D then in mix you assign their function (at least for me). By convention, we are engrained with thr as throttle, ail as aileron, rud as rudder. then with the flexibility of the mix in er9x, everything can be changed. in the beginning, it takes some head turning. (again as I said, at least for me). ;)

now once you get into Full, half , thr switch and thr stick , your head will turn/spin more. :mrgreen:
DAVEC921

Post by DAVEC921 »

Yes my head is swimming for sure. But I am starting to get the concept down. For me I learn by doing an seeing so the online videos are awesome.
I am waiting on the flight sim from my buddy as well as the dongle I just ordered.
As soon as i get those two things Ill be able to start playing with the tx for real an learn that setting it up one way does certain things.
Cause and effect.
Thanks again fro all the help
DAVE
DAVEC921

Post by DAVEC921 »

Ok I have a quick question. I just down loaded a free flight sim.
Is there any thing in my programming on the 9x that I have to do to be able to use it on the flight sim.
Does the trainer need enabled or any thing like that.
kaos

Post by kaos »

with Flysky module set the protocol to 'ppm sim'. if using Frysky, nothing needs to be done.
DAVEC921

Post by DAVEC921 »

I don't have frysky, I have the turnigy. The module is turnigy as well

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
kaos

Post by kaos »

turnigy is rebranded Flysky.
DAVEC921

Post by DAVEC921 »

Sounds good, now just waiting on my stuff. Picked up 4 2400ma packs. My dongle won't get here till Oct 15. Still need a charger, but will gives me time to build my foam jet

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Return to “DSM2/DSMX Mods”