Can I get a hand over here?

Love the 9x? Use FRSky? Post your questions and answers here!
VarietyPack

Post by VarietyPack »

Here's a video that shows my problem. I'm pretty new to FrSky and OpenRC stuff, so I don't really know what I'm doing to begin with. I've checked the forums to answer my own question, but I can't find anything similar! Is there anyone who can help me out?

Thanks for the help!
To save everyone time, I lost all of the fingers on my right hand. Some fancypants surgeon put toes on my hand and called them "tingers". So now I have to use the rare Mode 3, and Taranis has proven to be very... handy...

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Can I get a hand over here?

Post by MikeB »

If this is an electric powered model, then while doing this testing I strongly suggest you remove the PROP from the model. This prevents something bad happening if the motor suddenly starts due to an incorrect control assignment.

Your stick arrangement looks like "Mode 3" (Ail and Ele on left, Thr and Rud on right).
Go to the "Radio Setup" and change the mode setting (last setting on the menu) to "3".
Then test again to set what responds. If the controls are still wrong, then you need to go to the mixer and change the "sources" of each mix. For Spektrum, you usually need:
CH1 Thr
CH2 Ail
CH3 Ele
CH4 Rud

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
VarietyPack

Post by VarietyPack »

Oh, okay. Mixing channels was pretty confusing and I ended up making duplicate channels, so I'll have to figure that out. I got the Grey's RC Q X7 user's manual, but Mix didn't stand out to me as where the channels were determined.

I already had Mode 3, but thanks for checking (did you try turning it off and on? haha).

Removed that prop. It's like taking out the car key before doing work in the engine bay. :P

Thanks for your reply!
To save everyone time, I lost all of the fingers on my right hand. Some fancypants surgeon put toes on my hand and called them "tingers". So now I have to use the rare Mode 3, and Taranis has proven to be very... handy...
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Every channel must have a mix if it is to do anything. Otherwise it just remains at neutral, unable to move a servo or drive a speed control. The mix may have just one input (like the Aileron stick) or several, but there has to be a mix for each active channel. One channel can drive two or more servos, or more than one channel can be used to control one action (think of dual aileron servos on separate channels controlled by one stick).

So don’t think of it as mixing channels, as though there’s always two or more involved. It’s transforming inputs (or maybe just the one input) to tell the servo how to move.
VarietyPack

Post by VarietyPack »

Right, well I've gotten one plane to work - sort of. It's the EFlite T-28, and I got all the channels to respond appropriately, thanks to your help, but the elevator channel had some weird behavior. Instead of moving the whole range it only moved between pitch-neutral and pitch-up, and it was as if the stick resolution was at absolute minimum; it jittered between just one or two positions between neutral and up. Sometimes it would twitch to full pitch-down, and at those times the stick resolution seemed normal. What setting do I need discover to fix that?

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

First thing to do is always to go to the monitor screen and see what the transmitter is putting out. This allows you to determine whether the problem is with the transmitter or somewhere else. While you’re at it, make sure that elevator stick action is not the issue.

But from the description it doesn’t sound like a transmitter issue at all. So after you’ve verified the programming, look for something that could cause intermittent issues on the one channel. Plug in a different servo on the elevator channel and test the action.

Return to “The FRSKY Forum”