Audio (voice) - Stock 9X PCB

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Audio (voice) - Stock 9X PCB

Post by MikeB »

The recommended method of operation when using eepe to send and receive files, is to power on with the throttle stick not at -100% or a switch in error so the Tx stops at an alert. At this time, the trims are not processed.
Not much else I can do as the main processor doesn't know the voice module is in use, and so the left vertical trim, is being used for something other than the trim operation.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ok, I tried it and it worked now..Before when I turned the radio on with a switch or throttle error on the screen, it didn't work.. the serial just didn't connect.. But now it worked.. maybe the sequence..
But it would be nice if we could do it with the radio fully on.. The throttle trim should be disabled on electric models anyway.. ;)
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

At present, I can't think of an automatic way of disabling the left vertical trim when the voice module is in use for file transfer to/from eepe.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
KAL

Post by KAL »

jhsa wrote:... The throttle trim should be disabled on electric models anyway...
That's my opinion too, but this doesn't help here 'cause there is an option called crosstrims ... ;)
With this the elevator trims are affected.

Klaus
( TH9X / 9XTreme / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc )
( 9XR PRO / erSKY9x  / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc / P3 as Slider )
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That is correct.. I did forget about it ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Alright, I was finally able to modify the Radio and add the leads to Pin28 and Pin27 on the M128.
I connected those lines to Pin8 and Pin7 Respectively.
So now, I have the Pin8 and Pin7 on the MegaSound_v4 Board wired to the M128 and to the StereoJack that I grab the Rx/Tx/GND from to plug into my FTDI Adapter.

I removed the SD Card.
I uploaded the Amod_Last.hex file provided by Mike in the Restore_Backup.zip
And now I am ready to test...

The findings...
With everything connect as described above.. I am able to Backup the Model to the SD Card from the Menu System in T9x.
However, that is all I am able to do.
1) File Upload for Sound is not working ("No Sync Error")
2) List Models does not work.
3) Send Model to SD Card does not work either.

So I did some investigating....
When I remove the Leads from Pin7 & Pin8 from the M128, I am able to :
1) Upload Sound Files to the SD Card
2) List Models that are on the SD Card
3) Receive Models from the SD Card
4) Delete Models from the SD Card
5) Send Models to the SD Card

I hope these finds are conclusive that it seems at a first glance the the Pin7 and Pin8 on the MegaSound cannot be shared with the function of using FTDI Adapter for Serial Interface.

If you can think of anything that I can try, I am happy to oblige.

Salute...
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Beacuse pins 27 and 28 on the processor are still connected to the trim switches, the signals on these pins are loaded by a 200 ohm resistor to a 0.1uF capacitor. This slows down any changes on the signals and is why I had to use 38400 baud, anything faster didn't work. If your FTDI doesn't have a sufficiently high drive capability then it would explain why it doesn't work.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Hi Mike, that is an interesting point you make there.. as when i was testing... some times, i would get enumeration of the Models... after repeated clicks... but not
consistently... I have the SparkFun FTDI Adapter: (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9716)

Edit:
Just to close this problem...
As per Mike's Instructions, I have added a Diode in the path of one of the serial lines from the processor and all is working now.
flybabo

Post by flybabo »

MikeB wrote:At present, I can't think of an automatic way of disabling the left vertical trim when the voice module is in use for file transfer to/from eepe.

Mike.
MikeB wrote:Beacuse pins 27 and 28 on the processor are still connected to the trim switches, the signals on these pins are loaded by a 200 ohm resistor to a 0.1uF capacitor. This slows down any changes on the signals and is why I had to use 38400 baud, anything faster didn't work. If your FTDI doesn't have a sufficiently high drive capability then it would explain why it doesn't work.

Mike.
I think the better solution for voice card serial interface is rerouting the left vertical trim switches to unused ports.
We still have one unused port PC0 and PC2(LCD_RES) can be relieved after rerouting LCD reset signal to /RESET pin.
LCD module can be reset by "power-on-reset" circuitry and may not need to reset thru PC2.
It requires some trace cut/soldering similar to FrSky telemetry mod but it allows faster and reliable serial communication.
It also opens an opportunity to use X1/2/3 pins in voice card thru dedicated serial interface.

HT
Last edited by flybabo on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

PC0 is used by some people who use a different LCD to the standard one. They use it for a second chip select needed by this alternative LCD.

The LCD_WR signal (on PC4) is more useable as this may be just left low all the time. This is easily achieved by removing the 5K1 resistor, leaving the 10K to hold the LCD signal low. One of the pads of the 5K1 resistor may then be used to connect a wire, rather that the processor pin.

What may then be possible is to use the serial interface to the Megasound board to control the voice output, freeing off PB7.
So we might then have PC4 and PB7 available for the trim switches.

The X1/X2/X3 pins on the board made by HC1969 are not tracked anywhere so to use them would require soldering wires directly to the processor pins on the Megasound. However, if the serial interface is used to control the Megasound, then the 4 pins that connect to the LCD data lines would become free.

The biggest problem is likely to be on the M64 with finding enough flash space to fit any extra code in. It may be I would need to build a dedicated version that supports a serial Megasound and re-routed trim switches.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
flybabo

Post by flybabo »

Yes, if you don't need to read data from LCD, you may tie down LCD_WR and use PC4 for a trim switch.
However, I see the LCD read statements in 'lcd.cpp'.
Why do you need an additional CS for the different LCD? Can you tie one of CS signals to permanent active state?
Any problem using LCD_RES? CRIUS Multiwii OLED module uses the power-on-reset circuitry and it works fine.
If we do proper mod without using LCD data lines, we will have 9 additional inputs including BUSY and CLK pins.
That's nice as we can put enough 3 pos switches.
It also simplifies the voice card wiring as we don't need to connect LCD data lines.
Lets' give a shot for M128/2561 first :)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I like the idea of freeing the LCD lines for something else..
João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The different LCD uses one CS signal for the LEFT half and another for the RIGHT half, so both are needed, individually controlled. IT does also read back the BUSY signal from the LCD, but this can be avoided by using a delay I think.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
flybabo

Post by flybabo »

I see... is it for Kyocera LCD? What's good about that LCD?
If we control the voice card thru the serial interface, we can get rid of the strobe signal generator
and save two transistors and several resistors.
If we restore the backlight connection without going thru the voice card, we can add another digital input.
In this case, LCD_WR and LCD_RESET should be used for rerouting the trim switches.
This mod will make the voice card better and simpler - we can add up to 4 analog inputs and 6 digital inputs.
Why do I need a Taranis :)

I've collected most parts including PCBs from OshPark and ready for soldering.
I'm using mhotar's PCB layout based on DIP 328 - I have no problem soldering X1/2/3 over DIP pins.
Since I'm using a cheap 5V micro SD card (http://www.ebay.com/itm/301362961509?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT),
I can run the voice card with 5V and it eliminates a 3.3V LDO and level translator as well.
It also allows cranking up the clock freq up to 20MHz if necessary - that makes the voice card a high potent io processor - Mega-IO?
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Wow, this sounds very exciting.. i'll admit that most of it over my head... but very exciting nonetheless...
At the end of the day, what are we talking about...?
More inputs like 3Pos Switches, Rot Enc, etc....
Is the main purpose to free up the trims so that we are not doubling up on the Trim Lines?
Sorry to ask the questions, just trying to understand...if possible.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, to use the serial interface to the sound board while running normally, we need to re-route the two trim switches. What else may be possible is open. I'll need time to decide exactly what could be achieved and some of the implementation may take some time.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

So, basically this will permit the use of the serial interface at all times.. not just at boot time and or by special sequence, etc...kinda like plugging in the USB cable to the Taranis...
Malapell

Post by Malapell »

Are we close to allows logging to a file at SD on megasound?

Jordi from CAT
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've not thought about that! I doubt the M64 will have any flash space for that. I'm not sure that an AVR processor running at only 16MHz could handle it either. Then the Megasound board has limited RAM, I'm not sure that could cope with logging AND playing a voice at the same time.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

As the Megasound board has been discontinued and many of us can't do fine soldering, I started to play with an arduino and a SD Card module for arduino that we can buy cheap on ebay.. I think it could be possible to build a voice module using an arduino, the SD Card module, and an amplifier module with an LM386, also sold very cheap on ebay. Being kinda modular maybe it could even fit inside the 9XR radio, who knows.. Mike sent me a file that should work at 16Mhz but I'm having mixed results with it.. Sometimes I can read and write to the card using eepe, and sometimes I can't.. I've now put this on standby until Mike has some time for this. Also if the voice module could talk to the mainboard via serial, it could reduce the number of addicional components, and avoid the fine soldering to the LCD Lines. I believe that moving the trim switches to the voice board (arduino) would not be so difficult. I believe that the only difficult soldering would probably be to the resistors on pins 27 and 28 of the atmega64..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
flybabo

Post by flybabo »

Note that the trim switches are rerouted on 9x board not to the Megasound board.
You need to cut the traces of PIN27 and 28 and reroute those two trim switch signals to unused pins in the same Atmega.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Funny, I thought the trims would be re-routed to the megasound.. At least is what I understood. That would be easier for most of us anyway. I think this time, if we do something it must be easy for everybody. If not only a few will be able to do the voice mod, and that would be a shame..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
flybabo

Post by flybabo »

Rerouting the trim switches should be (slightly) easier than FrSky telemetry mod :)
I'll try this weekend and keep you guys posted.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

thanks.. I will continue with the bread boarding of the arduino, SD Card module and Amp. Then just wait for serial connections and firmware.. meanwhile, other things to do ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
HC1969

Post by HC1969 »

If sufficient interest MegaSound 9X production starts again. Also do not forget...
http://rc.emiter.hu/ (MegaSound 9X, GCL-2, FrSky-RSSI-DAC, etc.) Keress fel!
flybabo

Post by flybabo »

Depending on the outcome of the experiment, we may need to redesign the board - Mega-IO 9x?
mbanzi

Post by mbanzi »

zuadha wrote:btw i still don't get why Mbanzi un-soldered the d4 and d5, and the other page i have seen other used regular diode for d4-d5 instead a zenner one?
Sorry for the delay in replying, my real job takes all my play time away :(

The pictures are a little misleading, I should add a comment. I used temporary through-hole diodes I had in my parts bin for D4 & D5 to flash the controller, as I was still waiting for the surface mount versions to arrive in a shipment. I removed them as soon as I completed the flashing process, but you will notice in one of the later images (if you zoom in) that the surface mount D4 & D5 are installed.
maxta

Post by maxta »

Hello guys Im new to the RC community, I have been reading through your posts on the 9x Voice mod and would love to try this mod on my Turnigy 9x, I have flashed my Tx with OpenTx and have installed a Smartiparts board to do the first flash,

is the 9x voice board compatible with the Tx with the smartiparts board installed? http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=331

also is there any one that has the 9xVoice PCBs made that can sell one as I'm finding its to costly to get a board made.
flybabo

Post by flybabo »

If I program the sound module using USBASP, should I combine both bootloader and firmware hex into one?
My sound module has no extra serial line for external PC or FTDI card.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Look a few posts above and also on the er9x devopment thread. You can use the same lines for the FTDI and mainboard as long as you insert diodes in line with their connection to PC0 (RX). One diode from PC0 to FTDI tx, and another diode from PC0 to the main board pin. 28 I think?

Is your module working at 12mhz or 16mnhz?

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “er9x”