Another jitter.

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
Tnbagpiper

Another jitter.

Post by Tnbagpiper »

I started having a similar issue. I was in the process of setting up mixes on my TH9x for my e-flight mystique. And the control loss occurs after about 15 minutes of operation. I will not fly with this problem. Mine started after the er9x upgrade. I was using the open 9x before. I tried unplugging and replugging. No change i have another 9x with the wired module. A job to swap out the smartieparts and up grade but i. May have to try it.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Another jitter.

Post by MikeB »

Could you describe you problem in more detail please. Are the servos jittering, or are you getting complete control loss?
Which revision of er9x are you using?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
monton

Post by monton »

I had experienced this once as well using a x8r receiver and traced it down to rf being coupled back. I was using the larger 9db gain antennas.

Simply move them further apart from one another and away from the receiver. .... or changing them out to whisker antennas will help too if room is an issue.
Tnbagpiper

Post by Tnbagpiper »

Sorry. It was complete control loss. After turning of the Tx the random movement stopped after a few seconds. Turn Tx back on all controls dead, no movement, no response to any Tx inputs. Tried a different Rx same problem. I have ver. 1.142-Mike. looking at the ANA window the A3, A4, A5 and A8 are rapidly changing values A3 0418 the 8 is changing up and down in value as are the others. I don't know if this is normal. Is there a newer version.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

For the revision number, please read the value by SVN_VERS, it should read something like er9x-r813.
It seems you firmware is basically working or you wouldn't be able to report on the ANA screen.
There will be some slight jumping on the ANA values due to electrical noise, this doesn't usually cause any servo jitter.

Taking things step by step, please create a new model (to get a 'clean', simple 4-channel model), then go to the main screen where you have the 8 horizontal bars. When you move the sticks, do the first 4 bars move?

What Tx module are you using?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

My guess is you have a bad tx module. Do you have (or can borrow) another one and try it?

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Tnbagpiper

Post by Tnbagpiper »

I do not have any one near with a module i do have another Tx with the top wired module. I will try the new model setup first and send the results on Monday. Your assistance is very important to me and i thank you. Been in this hobby more than thirty years, digital is new to me!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

another question.. You have a main screen with numbers showing the channel position. Do the numbers jitter there?
Another test, connect this radio as student via trainer cable to the other tx. when you give control to it do the servos jitter?
Do you have a RC simulator on your computer? If so, connect the radio to the sim and see if there is jitter..

Just some ideas that might help you find the problem :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Tnbagpiper

Post by Tnbagpiper »

Version 812
Tnbagpiper

Post by Tnbagpiper »

OK. Now I am really at my wit's end! I tried setting up new model with simple 4ch. worked fine for about 5 minutes then same problem, checked servo screen all good. Now I go to my other Tx with built in module, rebind rx. Same problem. Tried another FS Rx same problem. Is it possible I could have an Rx battery not holding charge. Right now using nimh 1200 6v. When I connected to charger 5.1v cuts off at 6.9v System works fine for about 5-10 minutes then prob returns. I don't think it is a TX problem. I am waiting for my esc to arrive. I think I will wait till then and see if the bigger battery will help. Any other ideas?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

What are you using for servos? Tried other ones?

Sent via mobile
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just looking at a Flysky Rx I have, it is marked as 4.5-6.5V. It could be, if your battery is over 6.5V, something internal in the Rx is overheating and causing a problem. Do you have a 4.8V battery you could try?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Tnbagpiper

Post by Tnbagpiper »

Yes I have swapped servos from another plane I am building. No Change. I was thinking about the rx batt. Using a 1600 nimh 6v, running six servos I think the battery may not be large enough for the load. I have never owned a sailplane bigger than 3 channel. I am not used to this much load on a battery. My Mystique is going to be my first electric power and I may see if the bigger 3200 lipo will work. I will reply back as soon as I get my ESC hope that will solve problem. Thank everyone for their help to a 61 year old flier!! I will return shortly. and to Mike the battery peaks at 6.1v.
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Tnbagpiper wrote:Yes I have swapped servos from another plane I am building. No Change. I was thinking about the rx batt. Using a 1600 nimh 6v, running six servos I think the battery may not be large enough for the load.
Some servos will get upset at having anything over 5.25 Volts fed to them. Have you tried things out with a four cell NiMh pack?
Tnbagpiper

Post by Tnbagpiper »

Just tried something! Removed all but the rudder plug, left system on for almost an hour, no problems. Added elevator, again no problem added ailerons about 2 minutes of control movement problem returned. Went back to rudder only worked for 2-3 minutes then got slower and slower finally the light in the Rx started flashing then faded out. What does that sound like. Just went back and turned Rx back on Rudder and Elevator only Worked for maybe minute then response slower and slower then stopped. Does that sound like a battery issue. I know The nimh on my drill will pick a certain charge back after they rest. I don't think it is a Rx over heat I tried another 8 Channel and also a 6 that I had. All acted the same. I apologize for being such a problem but have nowhere else to go for help.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I had a problem on one of my planes last week. The rudder servo went bad and would bring the esc voltage down like it was shorted.. all the other servos stopped responding and the receiver stopped working too.. replaced the servo and the plane is like new.. lucky it didn't happen in flight..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

So you have tried two transmitters with both of the receivers you have and you can replicate the problem with all the combinations possible with them?

One servo works without any issue as does two adding an aileron servo creates the problem and removing that servo things remain bad with the RX flashing at you (which would normally indicate a problem with the RF link between the TX module and the RX) But the fading out of the RX flashing LED would IMO would indicate a serious problem with the RX. If both RX's show the same after a time then to me it would show that the common denominator would be the RX battery pack at fault or the high voltage of the pack causing problems within the RX.
Tnbagpiper

Post by Tnbagpiper »

That is correct the more servos I add the faster the problem occurs. I am going to pick up another RX pack with a higher mh rating and see if that works. I have noticed that on my flaps the servos tend to chatter until they hit a certain spot, or I can even tap the wing and they will stop. Swapped them with the Ail. servos same prob. I think this could be a strain on the Rx or at least a battery drain. When I get the new battery I will reply with my results. Until then thanks to everyone.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You may have one servo that is draining current from the battery. Do you have a meter you can use to measure the Rx battery voltage?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Tnbagpiper

Post by Tnbagpiper »

Hello again. Mike I think you may have gotten the right answer. I rigged a four cell AA 1.5v pack with an Rx plug. I started setup worked great for a while then same issue. I started unplugging servos. Unplugged left wing flap, everything back to normal. plugged the servo back it would not cycle. Removed it from the wing. Almost completely stuck. Could barely turn the arm with my fingers. Ordering a new servo thin wing. Hope this was it. will let you know when I get new servo installed!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

yep, as I reported a few posts above I had a similar problem about a week ago. And it was a quite good metal gear servo.. But quite old, so, can't complain too much :)
Anyway, let's hope that was the problem :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Tnbagpiper

Post by Tnbagpiper »

This has been a long process but, with help from everyone who responded I have learned a tremendous amount about digital systems. It was the servo, as I have had the system running for more than an hour with occasional inputs that are normal with thermal soaring. I am so thankful that
there are hobbyists who are willing to take the time to help. Thank you all. My last question is, I am running er9x 812. Is there a newer version available and where can I find it. Again Thanks
Tnbagpiper

Post by Tnbagpiper »

This has been a long process but, with help from everyone who responded I have learned a tremendous amount about digital systems. It was the servo, as I have had the system running for more than an hour with occasional inputs that are normal with thermal soaring. I am so thankful that
there are hobbyists who are willing to take the time to help. Thank you all. My last question is, I am running er9x 812. Is there a newer version available and where can I find it. Again Thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

r812 is the latest 'official' release. I am working on changes/improvements, test versions of these may be found here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4598#p64969.

If you have eepe installed on you computer, then the recommended way to try these is to use eepe to back up your EEPROM first, in case you want to go back to r812, then flash the test version.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Tnbagpiper

Post by Tnbagpiper »

I am back. I just taped up my flaps to prevent movement in flight and set ailerons as airbrakes/Spoilers. Put the new wing servo in. Five minutes later saw smoke and smelled parts burning, servo burned out. I have no idea why two wing servos burned out. Until I can get some idea why this is happening I will not use flaps. It is the left wing both times. I still need help. Should I go for a higher priced servo. First one was a Hitec this one was a graupner. Thanks for your patience and help.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Too much voltage on the servos?

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Tnbagpiper

Post by Tnbagpiper »

I am running an E-Flight Brushless ESC with BEC output of 5v. I thought about that but, none of my other servos have a problem. Also the servos from two different manufacturers. This is the kind of problem I love to solve with others help. I learn a lot about RC systems, however, this is maybe too much. I thank you for the reply.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

is the control surface moving free or is it hard to move? if the servo is always stalled it can burn as things will get hot..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Tnbagpiper

Post by Tnbagpiper »

Surface (flap) is free. However the servo locked in full throw with the flap up against the wing, could have jammed in this position!
Bill

Post by Bill »

Are the servos analogue or digital, it is possible that you are using the digital outputs ie high repetition rate from your receivers this is an optional setting.
This will burn out analogue (standard servos).
“A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest banker”
They used to say "if you don’t want to work at McDonald’s, go to college." Now they say "if you want to work at McDonald’s, go to college.”

Return to “er9x”