How to set up 16ch Tx with er9x!

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
Kilrah

Re: How to set up 16ch Tx with er9x!

Post by Kilrah »

Not "unlimited", no.

As it's FASST, you need to use a FASST transmitter module. And you can't get more than 12 channels with the one that exists (Robbe HFM12-MX and equivalents).

PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I set up my T9X with dual TX/RX for 16 channels tonight.
It all worked straight off, as simply as it sounds like it should.
PPM16 and off to the 2nd TX it went.

But I did find that using the Trainer port jack was a bit of a nuisance because of its power switch function. That means you need to turn on the main power switch before plugging in the trainer port plug, otherwise you get a blank LCD display on the T9X. So it is better to make up a plug in the rear of the TX case that feeds out switched power and the PPM trainer signal. And if you really wanted to make effort so it is all done 'properly' then some system of this new plug switching the PPM signal path off for the Trainer port when the PPM16 is used. eg to give PPM16 priority over the Trainer port. Because even though selecting PPM16 disables the trainer system, it doesn't stop a trainer port connection causing potential grief if you did plug something into it and the extra power/ppm16 port.
I haven't thought about that yet, or if there is even an way of automating it. It might have to be a slide switch to do that - which I dislike as you might forget to set that to activate the new "PPM16/power port" and thus lose the top 8 channels in your plane!

The FrSky DJT and DHU-T I used were rock solid and had no interactions. So it all seemed to work totally fine and reliably, for the tests.
AWESOME !!!!
THANKS a million for that ER9X ability!!
But if it stuffs up and crashes the plane I will have to sue you all !! LOL
T9X with second TX moduleB.jpg
Twin 6 Ch RXes test setup.jpg
randalll

Post by randalll »

Hi folks.

Could one of you who's done it please post a how-to with pictures, or a link to an existing one? I think I get it, but I'm hesitant to start messing with my Turnigy 9X (with SmartieParts board and er9x) further without a clearer understanding of what is involved and how to make it still pretty.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!
Randall
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

In principle:
Plug a mono jack into the trainer connection
Connect PPM to the module to the tip, and ground to ground
Power your module somehow (use a separate battery, pick some power whereever available in the radio e.g. module connector on the back PCB, or whatever pleases you)
Set protocol in the model(s) as PPM16.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I changed my installation today.
I took the battery +Ve and -ve from the internal header on the back panel board that goes to the plug-in TX module (5 pin header). This is so it is a switched power source - via the main power switch.
And I took the PPM signal from the header on that same board, where it comes in on a header to head to the trainer port, not the one that heads up to the plug-in TX module.
And those three wires exit through a hole in the rear (drilled) and then via a plug (for ability to disconnect) up to a DHU-T module.
I will make a proper mounted plug on the rear of the case (where the drilled hole is now) when I find a nice socket/plug type to use.
I mounted the DHU-T onto the case's antenna 'post' via a hole/screw system I drilled into the DHU-T's back cover.

I want the Telemetry and Display, so the DHU-T was of use to me for that. Otherwise I would prefer to install two internal FrSky hack modules, so that I could run the antennas out the back corners to the case, to have a symmetrical and separated pair. But then you need another way to get the Telemetry display. So the DHU-T made it all very easy.

All in all it is a very simple mod to do. If you could mod the TX for ER9X internally, then you can do this 1/5th diffculty task too! lol

I will take some pics tomorrow and post them.

I set up a 13 channel model and it all worked perfectly fine right away! (288 bytes of model memory for all its mixes).
One thing that did happen a few times, and I could not quite work out the sequence and logic as to why it occured but it was related to some mixes, was a 'slowdown and stuttering' of control. I am pretty sure it was because I had a Mix in edit mode and when I changed a value in it, the whole thing went into 'slow and stutter' mode, until I closed that Mix.
But anyway, in plain 'use' mode it has all been totally fine. And no cross interference between the two TX/RX systems.

randalll

Post by randalll »

Thanks Kilrah, it's nice to get a confirmation that my understanding is correct.

Thanks PeterV. This sounds exactly what I'd like to do. I had done some additional sussing and thought I might use a stereo headphone jack for +/-VE and PPM. The issue there is that if accidental or otherwise, the plug gets pulled out, it may cause problems. Still looking for something in a round chassis mount connector.

Cheers!
Randall
tracar

Post by tracar »

i truly enjoy modding this 9x :)
so i went with installing 2 of these items in my transmitter
(FrSky DHT 8ch DIY Telemetry Compatible Transmitter)

both are internal !

one directly sauderd to the 5 pin header (external module connector - JR pin-out) and the other sauderd directly to the trainer plug pcb. (which has 2@ 12v traces .. one is switched 12v power . one is not) you want the switched with the main power!

the only problem i had was i used the non switched trainer port pcb power and this conflicted with the trainer toggle switch, blank screen when toggled !

so with my install both the ppm signals read 4.5vdc.
power was 12.75v
any ground works fine

mounted the dht's LED's and toggles in the empty module case in the back ( after removing the stock tx guts )

and yes. as mentioned before set your model to ( proto PPM 16 8ch 300us. for me this was found in menu 2/10 )
and do the rest in the mixes menu to create and activate the additional channels needed :)
in the mixes menu there are 2 sub menus per ch.. "insert mix" and "edit mix" it was a bit confusing off the start but they can be deleted easily :) and then re made

the one thing that should be posted here is how to .. on selecting each individual toggle and pot on the er9x in the mixing.
tuftuf

Post by tuftuf »

Hello,
For tracar,
would you have any description/picture on how to solder a second module to the trainer plug?
We find easily the step-by-step instructions for the usual soldering on the 5-pin header but did not find any for such second module on the trainer plug.
Thanks in advance
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The trainer plug is a mono 3.5mm jack. Tip is signal, sleeve is ground. You then need to pick power for the module somewhere else.
tigar

Post by tigar »

I have a question about the second module. Can the main module be frsky and the second a dsm2?
So ch1 to 6 goes to frsky and 7 to 16 to the dam module?
I have a lot of spectrum receivers and I never use my dx7 after getting addicted to 9x!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It won't work with the DSM2 mod that is on this site, no. If the second module is a Spektrum DSM2 that takes a PPM input, like the DM9, then yes.
c3ajeff

Post by c3ajeff »

How about using the ANYLINK module on the trainer port for channels 8-16? Seems to me like that's a cheap, simple and fairly clean solution that would render several benefits. Of course you would need to use a different type (one compatible with anylink) RX for channels 8-16. What's the downside?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

c3ajeff wrote:Of course you would need to use a different type (one compatible with anylink) RX for channels 8-16.
This is the downside.
He'd want to use Spektrum because he already has Spektrum receivers.

IMO if purchasing new receivers is an option, I'd favour a more popular brand than this pretty much unknown anylink thingy... frsky comes to mind.
tigar

Post by tigar »

I will probably go the frsky root. Unless I can find a really cheap spectrum module that takes ppm in.
khairuv

Post by khairuv »

Any update on using this setup of twin frsky module in one 9x Tx?

I actually use three poles double switch (kinda like the 3 position switch but have 2 rows of 3 pins, total of 6 pins) for v+ and ppm signal. Mode 1 is single module (DHT), mode 2 is external module (using back bay, can be LRS or any JR module), mode 3 is twin frsky module (one DHT and one DJT). The v+ poles, middle pin is connected to Tx's v+ while the outer pins are both connected to DHT's v+. The ppm poles, middle pin is connected to DHT's ppm while each of the outer pin is connected to Tx's ppm and Tx' trainer ppm. All using soldered cables. You can easily find the trainer ppm by simply using a voltmeter (ohm meter exactly). It is the second pin from the left if you are looking at the back of the trainer port (the PCB still screwed on the Tx's back casing). Make sure you check with an ohm (volt) meter. Haven't tested it for my DJT and my other D8+ rx have not arrived yet. Can't wait. But the current setup with single DHT is working well using mode 1.

Ordered an RMILEC UHF module and DJT so I can use all the three modes. Though I am sure that the UHF and FrSky cannot work together, only one at a time. In mode 1, is simply an er9x Tx with FrSky DHT. In mode 2, I can plug in the UHF module and DHT will be switched off. In mode 3, both the DHT (trainer ppm) and DJT (ppm) will be on and I hope I can use more switch for the model's feature. But I am wondering about the effect of having two 2.4Ghz antennas together in such a short distance between them...

I am no electrical expert, sorry for any technical error :)
bstott

Post by bstott »

HI - I see this topic is dormant but, I feed on the last post.

I've ordered the Turnigy 9X and the FrSky DJT and DIY. I'd like to use the 9X's FlySky with the FrSky DIY. If the FlySky and FrSky can not work together then I will match the two FrSky Tx's.

What is the scheme to be able to have two Tx's share a single antenna?
Been there..... Don't want to do it again!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Flysky and FrSky are OK. There's no way to share an antenna though, you'll need 2.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Pretty sure there is a full guide for this either on the wiki, or somewhere else on the forum.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
kaos

Post by kaos »

yes, I started this thread. I guess I need to finish it up.
Just to use 16 ch and fixed on using either DHT or DJT as primary (1st 8ch) is fairly simple. add a power switch for DHT and like previous posts use the trainer port then you are done.. of course, when you use ppm16, you will loose trainer port.
Eventually I went for the SKy9x board and got what I wanted, ppm8/16 and trainer port at all times.

Now, if you want use either DHT or DJT as primary for ppm16 and be able to turn on /off of either module and be able to use trainer function while when only using DHT or DJT, then you have a big problem in your hand. I did solve the problem but never actually put in my Tx (because I switched to Sky9x board for this project).
To do this on stock board, yo will need 3 extra switches: 1 4P$P for setting ppm between/both DJT, DHT ppm and power, 1 2P2T - for telemetry selection from DJT or DHT.
the 4P4T is available at Mouser: /www.mouser.com/ds/2/60/SS-44D04-G-190363.pdf

The pic is the diagram to use the 4P4T that retains the trainer port function when only use either DJT or DHT: ( the red line is where your need to short those 2 pins.)
Just a note, I did not actually put this into use, do it at your own risk. ;)

I have to say with SKY9x is easier and only one 4P4T is needed without the 2P2T because sky9x has two com port and it is software assignalbe which com port you want for telemetry signal.
you may take a look here: http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... +ch#p40911
Attachments
130130.jpg
betibeau

Post by betibeau »

Hi, I have read all posts from this subject down to 2011(16ch with ER9X). Also read the manuel for the 9XR PRO. Very interesting discussions. Unfortunatly too much technical details for me or for the objectif I am trying to reach. The objectif: have 16ch & telemetry on a Turnigy 9X with the 9xtreme board working with ersky9x. So far (V8FR-II rx and DJT TX or rx 9X8Cv2 and frsky TM002) All works (with the help of MikeB and others for voice and copy model from one radio with V2.4 SP). Let be as precise as I can.
Q1 ? which pair of modules TX should be used ? DJT (I have 2 of them) and DHT (to be installed inside the radio, to be purchased) ?
Q2 ? Where a detailed wiring schema or (even better) pictures can be found with a step by step implementation procedure ?
Q3 ? The newest post is dated 2012/2011. I suppose the frsky technology has changed since. Does a 16 channels module to replace the DJT and a 16ch RX exist and can be easier to install ?
Q4 ? Would it be feasible to have a DJT tx coupled with a D8R-IIPlus adjacent to a Flysky TM002 TX coupled to a turnigy 9X8Cv2 ? (maybe uncompatible protocols DJT and TM002 cannot be handled by ERSKY9X ???)
Many thanks for your help.
Thierry (BE)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The easy solution is a FrSky XJT module and either two X8R receivers or one X8R receiver using the SBUS output.
The XJT handles 16 channels, and just plugs in to the module bay.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
betibeau

Post by betibeau »

thx Mike, I ll investigate and will do my best to understand all. I ll be back if something looks strange to me.
B rgds - Thierry (BE)
kaos

Post by kaos »

Tech1uk

Post by Tech1uk »

I went with the FrSky XJT module using 2 X8R receivers, works a treat and was setup in minutes. Full 16 channels without any problems.

Got mine from Hobbyking

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/sto ... duct=41609
betibeau

Post by betibeau »

Hi Tech1uk, Great to read somebody got 16 channels implementing an easy set of componenets (1 x XJT and 2 x X8R). I still need to get confirmation on the following:
Q1 ? how do you wire XJT to get the telemetry back on your radio screen (Turnigy 9X + 9Xtreme) ?
Q2 ? does X8R and V8R can work together and provide telemetry ?
Q3 ? do you use sbus ? (I never used it ....) what to connect to it if required ?
I will probably need further details on how to setup various parameters in ersky9x.
Thank in advance for your help
Thierry (BE)
Daedalus66

How to set up 16ch Tx with er9x!

Post by Daedalus66 »

Q2. XJT can't work with V8. Moreover, no V8 receiver can send telemetry.

Edit: Corrected
Last edited by Daedalus66 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

1. Just connect the black telemetry wire from the 9Xtreme to pin 5 (bottom pin) of the module connector.
2. You can't use a V8R-II and a X8R together, one uses D8 mode and the other D16 mode.
3. SBUS needs either a SBUS to PPM decoder, or SBUS capable servos.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “er9x”