Frsky module - using with standard F/W?

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

I have the Frsky DJT plugged into my 9X and am running the standard 9X FW.

Can I use it OK with this FW until I get the telemetry mod done?

I'm in a hurry here as it's a nice day and I want to test the radio with a DBR II receiver in a 3 Ch model that is my sacrificial beat up trainer :) .

Any replies appreciated.
Maintain thine airspeed.
Lest the ground arise and smite thee!

GrootWitbaas

Post by GrootWitbaas »

Yes you can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
General trouble maker and wannabee Dev
jhsa

Re: Frsky module - using with standard F/W?

Post by jhsa »

I think there is no problem with it... I never used the fw though
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

wow!

Fast replies, thanks.

I'll give it a try. I have yet to bind the DBR II to the DJT but I read somewhere it must be done in 2 way mode for the first bind to avoid a GUID problem?

I think two way is both switches in the OFF position on the DJT module if I'm correct?
Maintain thine airspeed.
Lest the ground arise and smite thee!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, in any case the D8R-II is a telemetry receiver so will only work in two way mode.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Hexperience

Post by Hexperience »

Redbrick man wrote:I have the Frisky DJT plugged into my 9X and am running the standard 9X FW.

Can I use it OK with this FW until I get the telemetry mod done?
I'm sure you've tested it by now, but for others that may read this thread, the other FW will, in fact, NOT work until you have done the hardware mod, because signal channels get moved around the FRSKY firmware is needed to accommodate that.

(Hope I worded that correctly as I have not done the mod.... "they call me mr. shaky hands" ;) )
Sky9X: One radio to rule them all, and in the darkness BIND them.
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

Just to clarify the clarification of what works with what on what:
  • Frsky modules will work on the radio regardless of modification and/or er9x fw version.
  • The only reason to do the HW mod is to see the telemetry data displayed on the screen.
  • If you have not done the HW mod - use the main version.
  • If you have done the HW mod - use the -frsky version.

Anything I missed?
Z

BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR!!!
What goes up... Should be controlled by a 9X!
GrootWitbaas

Post by GrootWitbaas »

erm re-reading ....did you say standard firmware .....
Redbrickman wrote:.... am running the standard 9X FW...blablabla...
then it's time to upgrade to er9x .... but still the answer is yes it will work

[HiJack Thread]
Why do I get problems when using 8CH in PPM sum on a D4FR once I have more than 6ch at Max ? On my scope it seemed fine when I tested initially, but on my Naze32 I saw in the multiwii gui it goes crazy when I have more than 6CH on max ....went back to scope and now I see the same on scope ....not sure.... can some one with similar setup test this and see Please?

If you need a video to explain I can probably do this ...and My settings are as follows:
PPM 8CH 300uSec (tried all)
PPM FrLen 22,5mSec (FrSky pdf says 18mSec frame, and here also I tried some variations)
Channels is setup with sticks to CH 1-4 100%
Switch using Max to Ch5-8

Sure I can change to use Switch to half only .... but hiding a problem is not solving it ....

[/HiJack Thread]
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I suppose it would be a problem with your Naze32 controller, either not appreciating the 9x' "100%", or finding the idle time between frames gets too short.
From what I've observed the 9x' PPM frame rate and pulse duration have no effect on the receiver's, these are always constant (those 18ms that the controller might find a little too quick).
GrootWitbaas

Post by GrootWitbaas »

well TC use the same RX, and for him it works with a stock 9x (stock firmware) on the controller. He tested this and could not duplicate it. So now if some one has the same setup maybe they can test it with what ever flight controller or with a scope directly on the output. Think I have to find a newer scope on ebay, maybe time for one with a logic analyzer build in.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Groot,
I have one of these: http://www.saleae.com/logic
I find that it works good. Mac software available for you too.
maybe I will hook up my D4FR when I get home???

-Gohst
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Groot,
The frame coming out of the D4FR is 18ms. That is the problem, there is simply not enough time to have all the channels at 100%. The space between the channels is also 400usec coming out of the receiver. I had my 9x set the same as you: 8CH 300usec. Which I verified comes out of the 9x.
-Gohst
GrootWitbaas

Post by GrootWitbaas »

yes I have been looking at that one for some time ...and yes I will try and set all my channels to say 80% and test, but not today. this is for the weekend. Now I have officially hijacked this thread, so I should move it somewhere more appropriate very soon... but again not tonight, just back from late shift and need some sleep. If I do it now I'll probably mess it up :D

Maybe it's time I look at pxx ...
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

erazz wrote:Just to clarify the clarification of what works with what on what:
  • Frsky modules will work on the radio regardless of modification and/or er9x fw version.
  • The only reason to do the HW mod is to see the telemetry data displayed on the screen.
  • If you have not done the HW mod - use the main version.
  • If you have done the HW mod - use the -frsky version.

Anything I missed?
Perhaps. I want to use the FrSky module but don't want the telemetry displayed on the 9x screen -- but I do want the 9x to sound alarms. Can this be done without the HW mod? And can this be done with the main version of er9x? c

Why? Because the screen on the 9x to too far down for my preference for telemetry -- I prefer to use the 9x screen for Tx stuff and a FrSky screen up high for telemetry data.
pldb64

Post by pldb64 »

Scott,

You can use the separate FrSky display screen (FrSky FLD-02 - LCD Display) that can be attached to the 9x (separate mounting kit). This will sound the alarms that you set separately from the 9x however! But it does make it a little more visible.

This runs with the ER9X or NHT versions of the firmware. No internal h/w mods required for this to work.

What would be the perfect outcome (IMHO) for those of us that are solder iron challenged would be that we could hijack the software used on the separate display screen so that the functionality could be kept the same as the frsky version of ER9x. Impetus is reduced with ERSKY9x on the horizon perhaps - but one can dream :-)

I'm going this path until the ERSKY9X is available for general use! :-)

My $0.02 worth!
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I have my old Futaba 7c set up with a Frsky module. I used the usb cable that you can get for frsky and the software found on their site. Through that you can set the alarms in the module itself. It has it's own speaker and can run independently of the radio.
-Gohst
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Or you can also use this instead of the original frsky config. software..

http://www.rc-miskolc.emiter.hu/index.p ... &Itemid=28

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
pldb64

Post by pldb64 »

Interesting piece of config software!

Anyone offering to translate the instructions? :-)
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I downloaded the same software from the frsky website. It was in english from there. Check the downloads section for alternate config software.
Gohst

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I never used it cos I have the telemetry mod on my tx, but that program is in english as far as I know

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

I'm not a very precise writer. I have the DHT-U module on my er9x radio. It's great because it has the display like the FLD-02 and also has the TX module built into the display. It also has it's own alarm -- with is it's weak point IMO. It's not very loud and not as flexible as what's in the er9x.

What I'd like to do is use the er9x program alarms only -- and run the DHT-U for display. As I think about it now -- I'm guessing this is impossible because the DHT-U is connected only using three wires -- signal, pos, and neg. So the 9x radio would not receive the telemetry data.

HOWEVER:
I also have a DJT module and FLD-2 that's not on it's radio yet. I've not even tried to configure it or anything -- but the program referenced above looks to be the ticket.

My questions remains however. Can I have the 9x radio sound telemetry alarms separate from the DJT without doing hardware mods? I've read that hardware mods are to allow the display of the telemetry data -- but I'm not clear if they are required to access the data for alarms. If the telemetry flavor of 9x is required to set alarms then I suspect that my answer is "no" you can't access the telemetry data and set alarms because I believe the hardware mod is required in order to run the telemetry flavor of er9x.

Ya, I know I'm outside the box. But I think that's how we got here in the first place. ;-)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Scott, I don't think it's possible without the serial connection between the DJT and the 9x.. that's what the mod is for.. The 9x must receive the data before it can trigger any alarms..
So, no, I don't think that it's possible, but as Groot say and very well " I've been proven wrong many times"

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

The hardware mod is the communications channel to the telemetry side of the module. So author the mod the 9x cannot talk to the module to set alarms or receive data. Also frsky uses rs232 as an interface. This is meant to talk between only 2 devices. So you cannot have the 9x and a display connected at the same time.
gohst

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Thank you.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

gohsthb wrote: So you cannot have the 9x and a display connected at the same time.
Not abosolutely correct actually - You can't have 2 devices transmitting to one, but 2 can be receiving the info of a transmitter.
With my DJT I modded to put in my 9X, with serial connections on the 2 unused module pins, I can still plug the FLD-02 in the back connector as long as I disconnect the brown wire that goes to the DJT's RX pin.
The FLD-02 won't be able to set alarms, which is not a problem as I can do that more easily on open9x, but it will display the incoming data. That would address the readability issue the OP has, he could use that setup to have the telemetry display above the TX.
Still requires the HW mod though.
pldb64

Post by pldb64 »

Kilrah,

Interesting combination! Do you have any pictures / diagrams that you can share to give a more complete picture of what/how this works?

Thanks
Peter
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Kilrah wrote:This is how I did my FrSky mod:
http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?/ ... __p__26504
Thank you. Very well done.

Return to “er9x”