ER9x Telemetry Data

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
avrgandy

Re: ER9x Telemetry Data

Post by avrgandy »

Ok, makes sense.

If just a few hertz of slow (but true) serial output at the ground is enough, I still don’t see why an FC can’t just use an unused Rx message ID (IBus/SPort) to encapsulate true consecutive serial bytes and have the 9XR convert it into a serial stream and push it to a pin (and display stuff too). 🤷‍♂️

Seems I was also confused because back in the day, “passthrough” meant you put a signal into an Rx module pin, and you get it out on a Tx module pin (or radio pin) - not just push whatever raw signal the Tx module spits out to another environment within the radio unprocessed.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Sure it's possible, but it simply seems nobody's felt like that was a solution they wanted to implement on both sides.
avrgandy

Post by avrgandy »

Hi MikeB
Could you please compile ER9X v822 with multiprotocol support and the -MAVLINK feature enabled? I've been trying to do this with a custom build of OpenTX 2.1 (most recent 9XRm128-compatible) but I'm not able to get the basic multiprotocol features working, and it lacks the other ER9X trimmings.

I can see on https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4598 that you've been busy with other ER9X test versions, so I appreciate this wouldn't be an immediate priority!

Many thanks
Andy
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Is this handling MAVLINK over the FrSky SPort protocol, or handling MAVLINK data directly, as in the "Ardupilot" version of er9x?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
avrgandy

Post by avrgandy »

MikeB wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:30 am Is this handling MAVLINK over the FrSky SPort protocol, or handling MAVLINK data directly, as in the "Ardupilot" version of er9x?

Mike
Hi Mike
In short, I was referring to direct MAVLINK display on 9XR/ER9X, as passed-through OpenLRSng TX/Rx serial from the APM FC. In OpenTX 2.1.9 this works when I check the Mavlink checkbox to use the -mavlink build binary provided by Companion9X v2.1.9 (9XR bidirectional mods done).

In a longer version... I'm hoping the above approach can work because I haven't had success when testing "FrSky" (both D8, S.Port) and "ArduP" telemetry options to display repurposed MAVLINK data on ER9x 822. Granted, I've been attempting to use OpenLRS's FrSky support options, but I think I tried all the plausible combinations:

1) Chosing "FrSky" in the ER9X "Telemetry" menu, setting the APM FC to output MAVLINK-repurposed FrSky D8 telemetry at 9600 baud, and setting OpenLRSng Rx/Tx to 9600 baud and FrSky_D8 mode: Result is no data on the 9XR/ER9X.

2) as per 1), but choosing "ArduP" in the "Telemetry" menu: Result is some display feilds filled with incorrect numbers, but plausible realtime HDOP graph and message debug displays an incrementing received message counter.

3) Choosing "FrSky" in the ER9x "Telemetry" menu, setting the FC to output MAVLINK-repurposed FrSky S.Port telemetry at 57600 baud, and setting OpenLRSng Rx/Tx to 57600 baud and FrSky_S.Port mode: Result is no data.

4) as per 3), but choosing "ArduP" in the "Telemetry" menu: Result is no data, no HDOP, but message debug counter increments rapidly.

I assume I'm probably having issues with these FrSky tests because I'm using OpenLRSng in FrSky support modes rather than using true FrSky Rx/Tx's? I haven't tried using a true FrSky S.Port Rx with the Jumper 4in1 Multiprotocol Tx to display 'repurposed' mavlink on 9XR/ER9x (and setting FC to output repurposed S.Port at 57600 baud). I guess I can attempt that if I pull a R-XSR receiver out of another quad... but anyway, I am giving up on FrSky repurpose methods mainly because I know the OpenLRS hardware supports serial passthrough MAVLINK, albeit at slow data rates, and that the OpenTx -mavlink build works to display MAVLINK telemetry on the 9XR/OpenTx.

My hope is that if '-mavlink' is compiled into ER9x 822, I could use my OpenLRS Rx/Tx when operating my APM drones to display essential (native) MAVLINK data on the 9XR/ER9x, as well as be able to swap to my 4in1 Tx module to use with my 2.4GHz quads, without flashing my 9XR between ER9X (for the 4in1 support) and OpenTx (for APM telemetry) each time! (yes I'm hoping not to have to purchase an extra radio just for convenience - haha).

Sorry about the long post to answer your short post! Hope it makes sense?

Andy

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll put it on my "ToDo" list!
I had a quick look at the Ardupilot version of er9x. It seems to only receive telemetry while you have one of the telemetry screens displaying. I will probably need to change that to always receive the telemetry.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
avrgandy

Post by avrgandy »

Cheers Mike, much appreciated

Return to “er9x”