EEPE and finding wrong device signature

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
DonBarker

EEPE and finding wrong device signature

Post by DonBarker »

Working on iMac running OSX 10.8.3
Running EEPE r360
Trying to flash ER9X r789
Target devices are two different Turnigy 9XR's

EEPE connects, reads, and flashes to older Turnigy 9XR just fine. The issue is with the new TX that was just received last week from Hobby King. Here is the error message from avrdude when trying to read the new transmitter memory.
=================================================================================
Started AVRDUDE
/usr/local/bin/avrdude -c usbasp -p m64 -P usb -U eeprom:r:/var/folders/40/khfh96zd7f72fsphhy617rfw0000gn/T/temp.hex:i
=================================================================================
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9702
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA64 is 1E 96 02
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

avrdude done. Thank you.
AVRDUDE done - exit code 1

I tried the -F in the EEPE configure menu, but the resulting file was unreadable by EEPE.

Help. This is confusing since everything works fine with one TX, but cannot even start the read or flash process with the second TX. Where do I start trouble shooting and checking?

Thanks,
Don

Kilrah

Re: EEPE and finding wrong device signature

Post by Kilrah »

Your new 9XR probably has an atmega128, while the older one has an atmega64.
You'll need to change the processor type to m128 in the avrdude settings when you want to program the new one, and back to m64 for the old one.
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

Kilrah wrote:Your new 9XR probably has an atmega128, while the older one has an atmega64.
You'll need to change the processor type to m128 in the avrdude settings when you want to program the new one, and back to m64 for the old one.
A couple of us are having the same problem with 9x (not 9xr) radios. They also display the same expected signature address for ATMEGA64 1E 96 02. My 9x radios definitely do not have atmega128's. I also tried the -F configuration without success. I had to revert to eePe r362 for everything to work.

See this thread for more information:

Latest Vs of Eepe & Firmware

Ted
DonBarker

Post by DonBarker »

Thanks for your comments so far, but I am still stuck.

Trying the option "-p m128" rather than "-p m64" assuming this is a atmega128 chip doesn't work. The read model memory file is unreadable using the option "-p m128".

I am using EEPE r360 and not higher due to this being a MAC and not a PC. Thus the problem with using EEPE r363 or higher is not an issue.

I also tried slowing things down with the "-B100" option. No change.

Any other ideas? Remember my setup works with one of the original Turnigy 9XR's, but not with a new 9XR.

thanks,
Don
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The device signature 1e 97 02 is that for a M128.

There are two places in eepe where you need to set the processor type (not sure why!).
File menu/preferences
Burn menu/configure

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

DonBarker

Post by DonBarker »

Thanks Mike, unfortunately I am on a trip and will not be back until Friday. Hope to try it then.

I was able to bring up eepe on the macbook I have with me on the trip and found (also previously found) the burn configure place to add "-p m128" but cannot find the file/menu option where I can add this parameter to indicate that this is a 128 chip. I am using r360 for a Mac. Do I need to use a windows machine and newer EEPE version?

Thanks,
Don
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The most important is the "mcu" dropdown in the avrdude configuration. When this is set to m128 you should at least be able to do all flashing operations, even if eePe might not understand the files because it's outdated. You would not want to add -p m128 manually in the extra arguments as you'd then have 2 processor types in the command line (the one from the mcu dropdown is there too).
DonBarker

Post by DonBarker »

I was finally able to spend some time working on the new 9XR. I was not able to use the hints to get things working on the iMac running EEPE version r360. Yes it is a 128 chip and not a 64 like my other 9XR. I installed EEPE r366 on a windows based laptop and I was able to successfully flash the new 9XR. I had to set the chip parameter to 128 in 2 places as has been explained earlier.

Thanks all for the help,
Don

Return to “er9x”