Frsky Alerts - Speaker Mod

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Hi All,

Mike & I have been doing some work in the background on allowing the frsky alerts to be handled by the on board sound system. (if you use the speaker mod)

Good news is that this all now appears to be working!

You will note the menu options in the image as follows:
frskyint.JPG
Int. FrSky alarm ON/OFF

If you set this to 'ON' You get the extra alert mappings.

So.. you can set the Sound/Haptic event you get for RED/ORANGE/YELLOW

Each time you then get the RED alert - it simply plays the associated sound event (or just a haptic buzz)

In my case. I have an alert of RED. I always use this for low battery.
And for orange and yellow... rate of climb as a buzz from my WS vario!

Please all test and report back on any issues! (oh! You will need to wait for Erazz to do a new compile!)

Rob
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Frsky Alerts - Speaker Mod

Post by MikeB »

Even if you haven't done the speaker mod, try setting the sound to pispkr, it doesn't actually sound too bad.
Testing the same thing FrSky alert operation, but with the code a bit shorter, this may make it to the er9x site before Erazz compiles it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I have found a small bug - but nothing we wont get resolved :-)
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

What r version has it?
I'm going to try it assp.
SM
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Any chance of having alerts moved over to the stock setup? Having a choice of alerts instead of the stock alerts? :)
Throttle alert, switch alret, typo alert etc.etc... beign able to assign.. off-on-alert 1 - alert 2 - haptic - hap/alert.. etc.etc.etc.???

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

ShowMaster wrote:What r version has it?
I'm going to try it assp.
SM
Try the attached. Still working through a few funnies but worth getting some bug reports!
Attachments
er9x-frsky-noht.hex
(165.83 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
er9x-frsky.hex
(169.17 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

cr8tive_leo wrote:Any chance of having alerts moved over to the stock setup? Having a choice of alerts instead of the stock alerts? :)
Throttle alert, switch alret, typo alert etc.etc... beign able to assign.. off-on-alert 1 - alert 2 - haptic - hap/alert.. etc.etc.etc.???
Unfortunately not on the stock firmware. Just not enough epprom space. We have done the method in this version due to the limitations :(
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

No worries. Had to ask.

I'll look forward to the TTS in ersky release...

:mrgreen:
capitaineflam25

Post by capitaineflam25 »

Great work !

Piezo speaker mode done, FRSky-R657 loaded, can't wait the weekend to try it!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I loaded both files posted here but never see the screen in radio1/6 as shown in your pix post? I never see the new alarm options. Am I missing a step?
I downloaded both files posted here and this is the version of the last one I loaded from screen 3/6. I used C9X to load it.
SVN trunk-r1
VERS V1.5273-
DATE 12.01.2012
tIME 17:05:22
Mod Frsky
SM
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The menu is 'dynamic', it adjusts depending on other selections. First, select the sound = pispkr (near top of menu), then select Int. FrSKy Alarm =ON (that then appears near the bottom of the menu). Then you will get the red/orange/yellow selections appearing.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Wow I see it now. I'll give it a try in the air. BTW I usually run the Frsky NOHT versions, any reason not I shouldn't?
If I like how this revision works will updates of latest version be posted here until all the bugs are worked out if any? I assume if it all works out, it'll become a regular eepe or C9X download in the future. Where do we stand on eepe and C9X? I want to standardize on one program to learn it well and have been using eepe. Is C9X going to be the one we will use as it develops? I'm not sure if it's a composite of eepe with blessings or another direction? I just want to stay with the one the main stream will be using.
Thanks again for making the difficult look so easy.
SM
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

It is already part of the svn tree - so will all be included by default.

The actual menu options have been there for the last month - time commitments simply stopped us getting round to wrapping up the alert integration until now!

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

OK, so either eepe or C9X will work?
I hope to get in a test flight of the alarms today if the WX holds up in LA.
SM
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Loaded FW and flew my plane today. I set my motor lipo alarm for 11v as a test and flew. When the lipo hit 11v my tx alarms went off and the hepatic vibrators (2) went off. So "cool"!
Can it get any better? It just seems to.
Thank you for all the nom stop improvements. With the FAA restricting altitude of rc planes to 400FT or less in the US, maybe that alarm option could be added to the menu?
SM
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The 'hook' to detect the height limit is in, need to detect the height abu generate the alarm. The problem is there are three possible sources of the height, WSHOWHI, FRSKY HUB varion, and GPS, and metric/imperial values. Then again, I've been distracted by other changes as well.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I think I'm going to take a speaker from an audio BDay card and use it since it's so small, loud as mentioned by others.

How do you and Rob find the time in the first place Mike? The 400 ft limit may not be such an issue in every country er9x operates in but when you do get time to add it for the US that will be a great +.

I'm giving a 20 min talk at a club meeting in Feb. on the 9x and the upgrades available. Would it be correct to mention the altitude alarm option is doable and will be added as icing on the er9x cake in the near future?
I'm not pushing you I'm just excited about the possibility. Not everyone will use the option even after it's
added but with the AMA and FAA having meetings about our hobby I'm sure there will be some new guidelines coming.

So a question about voice alarms/audio files now that you have the Frsky talking to the 9x. Is there enough FW memory left, or what ever holds the FW, to be able to trigger voice announcements when certain alarms go off? I'm asking about the ability in the future just to have that knowledge if asked. I have no idea of the limitation of the current 9x board and memory limits on feature expansion.

With the work being done on the new board and it being capable of so much more will we have to make the move to it at some point just to keep with feature requests? Easier Audio and FPV interface options may be the next big options requests do to the popularity?
Thanks again Mike, Rob, and all the others not mentioned for finding the time to make our requests a reality.
SM
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Keep pushing TTS, with the unlimted number of voice files, and the quality of tts, it should be a breeze with the ersky (don't know if the stock board could handle it, no way to store tts files I think and more).. text to speech... text to speech... :mrgreen:

If a $50 gps unit can do it... damit, our $50 tx's should be able to too. 8-)
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Lol. The real magic in all this is done by Mike. I pale to insignificance when it comes to pure guru ability!

Time wise... I am just lucky to have the freedom to work when I want. Joy of spending a decade automating my business!

Altitude alarm. Yes. Should be working in the next few weeks. (dependant on Mikes timings)

cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Everyone has their own magic. The talent that is behind all the advances with er9x, and ersky9x (along with the other variations of the original thx firmware) is astounding. The continents that this spans, the people, the ideas , where they come from their countires, language barries, all that, all come together to share a love of hacking together an amazing little radio that out does the most expensive ones on the market. That is the magic. Mike just happens to be the head Wizard. 8-)

Now if the rest of the world would get their act together.. this would be a more awesome place to live.

:D
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

ShowMaster wrote:Would it be correct to mention the altitude alarm option is doable and will be added as icing on the er9x cake in the near future
The near future is here ;)
er9x-frsky-alt.zip
(65.51 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Its a modified version of the PXX/PPM16 FRSKY version I recently made, with code shrinkage, but its still getting large. We've only 2500 bytes flash left in it (about 4% of the total). Anyway, it includes an altitude alarm fixed at 400ft (or 122m), active if hub or WSHOWHI data is being received. It is not configurable, and has NOT been tested.

Don't know about being head Wizard :oops: , although I used to be when I ran my own multi-user adventure game :mrgreen:

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Great on the 400ft alarm feature soon. What are the limits in other countries? I hope others agree that it can't hurt to know when your over the limit at least near large airports? I'm 5 miles from one, and 25 from LAX. That and the police copters chewing us out as they circle over head is enough to keep me pretty honest. The airport police have come out and parked on the runway to get our attention and I'm told they have the power to do much more if we don't get the message.
SM
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Hey Mike,

What audio alert do you trigger when you hit the height limit?

Rob
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

audioDefevent(AUDIO_WARNING2) ;
It was easy to select, and doesn't need any EEPROM storage, If there was a specific warning for this, it would be better. Have you tried the stock beeper in pispkr mode? Some of the sounds are quite reasonable!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I will make an alert specifically for this when I do done updates tomorrow.

Not sure how we are on eprom space - but we could add another option like the red/orange/yellow to select the sound?

I have tried the normal buzzer in that mode. Surprising it actually works ok!

Rob

wheelspinner20

Post by wheelspinner20 »

The AMA safety code reads “I will not fly my model aircraft higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level, when within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator. "

The last thing I want to do is start an argument about safe flying. But not only do we have the international community here, but there are lots of situations where one could easily fly safely above 400 feet even in the U.S. Besides rules, regulations, laws and guidlines, RC flyers do this all the time.

Is there a way to make the value for the alarm user adjustable?

Pat
no more quippy little latin phrases.! Its old
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

There are always ways and means, I've posted a first version to allow testing to make sure it actually gives an alarm correctly. If that is all working, we will look into making it selectable and/or changing the height limit. (As one of our customers says, that's why its called development!)

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

wheelspinner20 wrote:The AMA safety code reads “I will not fly my model aircraft higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level, when within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator. "

The last thing I want to do is start an argument about safe flying. But not only do we have the international community here, but there are lots of situations where one could easily fly safely above 400 feet even in the U.S. Besides rules, regulations, laws and guidlines, RC flyers do this all the time.

Is there a way to make the value for the alarm user adjustable?

Pat
I live in LA, land of freeway chases with news and police copters giving chase. Presidents and dignitaries visiting, and movie shoots.
The sky is always full of some kind of aircraft flying low. That and weather that lets us fly year round has a lot of RC planes in the air at many fields, many near airports like Van Nuys,  Burbank, and LAX. 
We all like to fly high but it's the airport police parked on our runway or the hovering police helicopter overhead on their loudspeakers chewing us out that give 400 ft a whole new meaning. They insist that 400 ft is the law and may have the right to ticket and seize our planes. After 911 and some bad press regarding RC planes it seemed to ramp up.  I think having the hight alarm option is going to get more use. Yes to having it user defind if doable but 400 is a good place to start.
This limit has killed pattern contesting at our field because of the altitude required for the maneuvers. 
Lets see what new rules the  AMA and FAA come up with later this year for all of us in the US when its decided. Maybe RC Boats will look good?
SM  
wheelspinner20

Post by wheelspinner20 »

Show, very sorry to hear, that. Been there a couple times, nice to visit, but I don't think I could get used to living there. I could easily see why the ceiling is a problem. I sure would like to see them look up that law though (its really just the law of "those who have the guns and badges make the law"... unless its on video). Who knows they probly created a local ordinance for it, since the fed does not have one officially in the books yet.

Just makes me realize how blessed I am to be able to reasonably and safely fly a little higher than you.

I still stand by the user setting request though.

Actually our field, is about 4 miles from Detroit Metro, ironically, some big jet pilots stopped by a couple months ago to share their disdain of the propsed rules being processed.! They are NOT in favor at all, (they fly rc too) and don't think its a safety issue. Most of the full size pilots know we are there.

P.
no more quippy little latin phrases.! Its old
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Mike, some alarm vibrate info feedback.
I set my A2 Lipo alarm to vibrate (yellow) at 11 v and siren and fast vibrate at 10.7v. It all works but as the voltage goes from 11 down to 10.7 both alarms are active causing some mix of actions to be expected. When I back off the motor and the voltages climb above 11v the alarms still go off until what may be a delay until a new data update then all's quiet again. It works fine after I got on to whats going on so I'm good. I'm just reporting my findings in case no one else has tried it. The gentle vibration is cool because others don't have to hear it and I don't miss it because of loud motor and other noise. The red alarm is a last resort/ land one. 
Thanks
SM

Return to “er9x”