Stock/er9x Rotary Encoder

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
OctavioS

Re: Stock/er9x Rotary Encoder

Post by OctavioS »

Mike, I've done that. So I changed the wire layout rotary-gnd-switch-rotary, and the exact same problem persisted. So I changed the wires to gnd-rotary-switch-rotary and the same problem happens. :| :? :|
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

My best suggestion now is to only have wires on Gnd and the switch (based on rotary-gnd-switch-rotary when looking at the copper tracks), then check the resistance between these two wires is open circuit normally and goes to short circuit when the centre button is pressed. If that is correct, then connect the Gnd and switch wires to the Arduino and see if the centre switch operates as expected.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

To check the arduino is working correctly, why not forget the encoder for now and just connect a normal switch instead?

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

The board i have is different from the one above.
IMG_20161209_093238.jpg
So you say that in this disposition, i remove the rotary wires and resolder gnd and switch to the layout you said and do the measuring.
right?
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Ah, a different board. Where did you get that one from?
Do you have a switch you could use to try João's suggestion, i.e. wire just a switch to the Arduino connecting to Gnd and IO4.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

andrewju

Post by andrewju »

If you are talking about the rotary encoder PCB, that one is from me. Electrically, it's pretty much the same as all the others. It's just that the color is blue, but I don't think it affects electrical conductivity in some unexpected way. :)
This design is tested on a number of radios (stock mainboard and AR9x), including my own radio. I never heard of any issues with it.

P.S. I think I need to go and re-read through the last few pages to understand what the original issue is...
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

I have got this board from Andrewju, a Russian member from this forum.
I will have to speak to João to help me out with this switch thing.
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Ok, I read through the recent conversation. I'm sorry I missed it.

The only time I have seen troubles with the encoder is when there was a poor soldering / no electrical connection between the encoder switch and its PCB. I'm not sure, but I suspect it might be a similar case here. OctavioS, is there any chance to get a good photo of the solder joints on the encoder PCB? Maybe you took a photo before you soldered the encoder to the mainboard?

MikeB wrote:On the PCB itself, you have:
Rotary - Rotary - Switch - Gnd.
I think these should be:
Rotary - Gnd - Switch - Rotary.
Mike, I'm pretty sure the first option (Rotary - Rotary - Switch - Gnd) should be correct.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

OctavioS, can you make one more test, please? There's no need to put the radio back together or power it ON. It's Ok to have just the mainboard alone for this test.

Please measure the resistance between the crimson and the yellow wires (I marked them with the red arrows):

Measure the resistance. You should get some large value (kiloOhms or even megaOhms).
Then, press the central encoder button, keep it pressed and measure the resistance again. This time the resistance should be close to 0.
crashcanopy

Post by crashcanopy »

Hi,
sorry for bringing this old thread up. I'm currently scratch building a Meag128 based radio. It should go into the case of NE 5JR that has two push Buttons and a Rotary Encoder with Center button.
I'm using a more recent Artronic LCD, which runs on 5V. Therefore I don't have voltage divider on the LCD lines. Now, in order to use the encoder, I added a 10k pulldown resistor to LCD bits 5-7. If I use a 1.5k resistor for the push button, it works (neither 3.3 nor 3.9k did). Voltage is high when pressed, so above 3.5 Volts. Else it is Close to 0V. LCD is working normally, then.
I can't get the rotary contacts to work though. I've tried resistor from 3.9k down to 47Ohm in line. No reaction at all. Without any resistor in line (so 5V directly), the LCD "reacts" with weird behaviour. It does this also when I try the button without resistor.
By researching the web, I'm left with the assumption that the encoder has some internal resistors, but I'm not sure and as I have no scope, I can't measure it.
Can anybody show me the right direction?

Cheers, Stefan
crashcanopy

Post by crashcanopy »

Hi,
found it myself. Besides the pulldown a pullup via teh Encoder was required with not more than 2.2k and both had to be connected and the in line resistor (5.1k) to the LCS was required. A mixture of Problems. Especially the latter (LCD resistor) was something I had never thought about ;-)

Cheers, Stefan
feihu47

Post by feihu47 »

I have a question for the experts here. I recall that on the original stock firmware of the Turnigy 9x one of the pots (P2 I think) was able to be used as a sort of rotary switch for scrolling through the alpha/numeric menus. I see all the rotary encoders you all have installed as beyond my level of capability and wondered if it's possible to map the P2 pot to act in the same way? I have a T9x with the 9Xtreme board version r218 of Ersky9x.
feihu47

Post by feihu47 »

Never mind, I found it in the wonderful Ersky9x videos by João. Thank you.

Return to “er9x”