Solved, Flysky TH9X and Banggood 4 in 1 Module won't bind to Spektrum receiver

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
Rod99

Solved, Flysky TH9X and Banggood 4 in 1 Module won't bind to Spektrum receiver

Post by Rod99 »

I just bought a used Horizon Hobby Timber airplane. It has a Spektrum AR636A receiver with AS3X. I cannot get it to bind with my Flysky TH9X with a Banggood 4-IN-1 Multi-protocol STM32 TX Module. I am using ER9X in my transmitter. I have tried just about every combination I can think of in the Protocol settings. I have set the channel order in model setup to TAER, the Spektrum channel order. I have also tried binding with a channel order of AETR as I read in one of the Multi Protocol instructions that the module automatically remaps the AETR to TAER. My throttle is at 0 % when binding. I have reversed the throttle channel in the limits menu to check if the throttle position is a problem but no bind with throttle reversed. A quick description of the Protocol setting I think should work are 1st channel 1, Proto Multi, RxNum 0, Protocol DSM, Type DSMX-22, Power High, Option 6, Autobind No. This is the first time I have tried to bind to a Spektrum receiver, it is the only Spektrum receiver I have. I have used this transmitter for over a year flying 4 airplanes with ER9X and the Multiprotocol module with no problems. Other than this airplane all other airplanes use Flysky or FrSky receivers. I don’t know if I’m missing a simple step or is this a common problem? The receiver is OK as I have a Jumper T8SG transmitter and it binds ok to this receiver, I will be flying the plane with the Jumper transmitter unless I can ever get it to bind to my TH9X.
Last edited by Rod99 on Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Flysky TH9X and Banggood 4 in 1 Module won't bind to Spektrum receiver

Post by MikeB »

I assume by throttle at 0% you mean fully down, which is actually -100%. Spektrum normally use only 80% of the servo pulse width, which is -80% to +80%. It is possible the throttle needs to be at -80% when binding. You may set this by setting up a safety switch on the throttle channel.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Rod99

Post by Rod99 »

With the throttle at 0%, that is the stick all the way down which is -100%. I set the throttle safety switch for -80% value and tried binding with -80% throttle value but still no bind. Thanks for the reply.
jj604

Post by jj604 »

Rod, two things:
1) Is the LED on the AR636A flashing rapidly to indicate the receiver is actually in bind mode?
2) Have you tried it with Autobind ON?
The Multimodule firmware has had some changes to DSM protocol recently but unless you have done a firmware upgrade yourself in the last few weeks the settings you have used look correct to me. I will ask Nigel (Daedalus66 on here and RCGroups) to look at this as he is the ErSky and TH9X expert.

Cheers
John
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Hi Rod
I’ll have a go at your problem later today. I’ll have to dig out my old Turnigy 9XR, which is my last transmitter running ER9X (others have ERSkyTX).
Nigel

Rod99

Post by Rod99 »

Thanks for the replies. The led on the AR636A is flashing rapidly. The red led on the multi module flashes for a while after bind is selected then it goes solid. I have tried autobind several times but still no bind. I have not updated the firmware. One other thought I have is, the RF Chip, could it be bad?
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Autobind is unlikely to help. It’s intended for protocols which bind automatically when the receiver is powered up.
Channel order should not affect bind. What order are you using with the models that work with this Tc and module?
I do have an AR636 to test with.
What version of ER9X are you using? Mine is a 2015 version that I have to update as it doesn’t recognize a Multi module in serial mode.
What version of Multi firmware does the Protocol in the transmitter display?
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Just had a thought.

What model did the AR636A come from? It may make a difference since the AR636 will often only bind when placed in the same orientation as in the model for which it’s programmed. The key issue is which side down? In low wing models, it’s usually label down, while in high wing, its normally label up, except in the Mini Apprentice, where it’s on edge. It’s possible to change the orientation using a cable and special software.

So tell me about the origin of your AR636A. The A tells us it’s for a specific BNF/RTF model.

I should say I don’t have direct experience of this issue, as I use a couple of AR636s, the retail version and they come unprogrammed. But I’ve read of such problems.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

You said the Tx and module bound successfully with other models. What receivers are used in those models?
Rod99

Post by Rod99 »

ER9X ver. er9x-r820. The multi module firmware, the multi module label on the shipping box says firmware version 1.2.0. I can't find the multi module firmware version in the transmitter display. The AR636A receiver is in a high wing BNF Timber, the label facing up. I have 4 receivers bound to this transmitter. 1ea Flysky, FS-R9B. 2 ea Flysky, FS-IA6B. 1ea FrSky, V8FR-II.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Regarding the module firmware version, have you done the telemetry mod to the 9X? This is needed to receive data from the module, which includes the firmware version.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Rod99

Post by Rod99 »

I have not done the telemetry mod.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Sorry, I’ve been tied up today. Will get back to this tomorrow.
Rod99

Post by Rod99 »

I trying to decide what to try next on my binding problem. If the rf chip is not working I don’t know how to troubleshoot that. If the MPM firmware could be the problem I may try to update it to the latest version. I’m a little uncertain of the procedure for this. I read about the Flash Multi app and installed it on my computer. The app installs the MPM native usb driver and I have done that. When I open the app it is communicating with the MPM and I selected Read and it reads the firmware OK. After that I saved the firmware. At the end of this dialog is the status messages I got when doing this. I haven’t convinced myself to try and Write the latest firmware file using this app. If there is a chance of a fatal error then my bound receivers will all be inop. I’m also a bit confused about the bootloader. I read that if the MPM doesn’t have the bootloader it will need to be installed using a FDTI adapter. I also read that the bootloader is required to enable the native usb port. Since I was able to read the firmware from the MPM using the native usb port does this mean the MPM has a bootloader? Do I need an FTDI to update the firmware? Any help with this would be great.

<< Status message received when reading and saving the MPM firmware using Flash Multi >>
Reading MULTI-Module via native USB
Switching MULTI-Module into DFU mode ... done
Reading flash memory ... done

Firmware signature not found; extended information is not available. This is expected for modules with firmware prior to v1.2.1.79.

EEPROM Global ID: 0x321C2869

MULTI-Module read successfully

MULTI-Module firmware saved succesfully
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Everything looks correct., just an old version.
Rod99

Post by Rod99 »

I finally got my Flysky 9X with the Banggood MPM to bind to the Spektrum AR636a receiver. I gave up trying for a several months but resumed working with it. I updated the MPM firmware via the native USB port using the Flash Multi app, version 1.3.1.36. Initially I could not get it to bind but found out it will bind if I hold the 9X transmitter close to the receiver, less than 1 foot. All the receiver channels work ok. When I do a range test with Range selected from the ER9X Protocol menu the receiver looses the signal in a few feet distance. I also loose the signal in a few feet if I select Low power from the ER9X protocol menu. I selected High Power in the ER9X Protocol menu and did a range check and loose the signal at about 30 meters distance, not good. The MPM must have a weak RF chip. I get a good range check with my Flysky receivers but they use a different RF chip. I think my solution will be to buy a new MPM module. I have verified that the MPM does reorder the channel order from AETR to the Spektrum TAER channel order. That’s all the information I have. If anyone out there reading this has a different idea please reply.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It could be a broken or disconnected Antenna on the MPM.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Rod99

Re: Solved, Flysky TH9X and Banggood 4 in 1 Module won't bind to Spektrum receiver

Post by Rod99 »

Thanks for the suggestion of a broken or disconnected antenna. That is ok, I’ve check that and have tried a different antenna but that hasn’t helped. Also I get good range with my Flysky receivers. I bought a URUAV TM5X MPM from Banggood and with this MPM it binds good and I get real good range with the Spektrum receiver. Initially this MPM seems to work good but before I tested it I attempted to update the MPM firmware using Flash Multi and it will not update. The instructions that came with this MPM refers to https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Mul ... -TX-Module web page for more info. After going to this web page I find that this module is not supported by the Pascallanger/DIY Multi group and that the MPM’s MCU is not as advertised. The MPM I bought has the 64K version instead of the advertised 128K MCU. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of positive information on this MPM on the Pascallanger Multi TX Module web site. The information on this web site states this MPM has erratic behavior and recommends against flying with this MPM. I sent an after sales report to Banggood about the MPM description being incorrect and they are giving me a refund. I will buy me another MPM but a different brand. I have resolved the problem for the forum thread and that is that I couldn’t bind to the Spektrum receiver because the RF chip is faulty, the CYRF6936 chip. Thanks to all who replied with suggestions. Thanks to all the software geeks for providing the firmware.

Return to “er9x”