HELI TEMPLATES and Set Up Guide

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
kaos

Re: HELI TEMPLATES and Set Up Guide

Post by kaos »

Andyuk wrote:hi guys ive used your settings on my 9xr which all work fine but the pitch servo which is locked down hill any help would be nice thanks
what do you mean by that?
an copy of your eepe file would be helpful.

blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

hi i have the turnigy 9XR and i was wondering will this template work for me also?because this radio is driving me crazy but it could be also cause i am a newbie to the hobby! any help will be appreciated, Thanks! in advance

Frank
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Be sure to read through all of Westy's posts here. But it should work for you.
There is another setup here. Which is only a single PDF to read and an associated model file.
-Gohst
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

Gohsthb, cool thanks! so these directions and settings should be able to help me with the 9xR radio? i am still learning this radio and all the terms in the menus, shoot some of the stuff idon t even know what it means or what it does but i have been looking at this thread and the one you suggested to me and i seealot of the same terms inthe menu so i hope i will finally get this together and get in the air soon!
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

This might be a stupid question about this template and the settings.....when setting up the swash/head should i be inputting these template settings before or after i have the head all set up?

kaos

Post by kaos »

you need to put the template eeprom in 1st before you can set up your swash. zero out all the trim, limit (+ -100), offsets.
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

thanks a million!
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

ok to my understanding the "eeprom" was the settings that was programed for "er9x" right? which supposedly the new 9XR has this firware already installed...so all i have to do is go thru the menus and input the values of the template right? because i was getting alil lost with "eeprom" being through out the thread and what not...
kaos

Post by kaos »

yes, 1st set up the heli (eg, 120 ..) then you follow the heli setup procedure describe previously in this thread. Just make sure you use a 'clean' model without any trim, offset 0, limit from -100 to 100.
Do you have experience setting up a collective pitch heli using other 6ch Tx, eg T9X or other? Beside how to use the er9x to setup heli, you MUST have an understanding of how to set up a collective heli.
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

Not alot but i been watching the videos reading the articles so i am kinda gonna getting the gist but like this 9XR programming is way more complicated than my simple 6ch Tx i had gotten to play with my Phoenix sim. i guess because its the terms that pop up on the menus that arent on my other Tx and since the 9XR can do way much more i got it because i was thinknig long term when i get better at this and want to do scale flying not too crazy about 3D flying. but yeah i am kinda understanding what some of the functions do, i been doing my homework hard for i want to learn this hobby bad!
i know what certain terms are like subtrims, limits, travel, expo....offset dont know that one but will look it up :)
kaos

Post by kaos »

OK. for planes, ER9X is super compared to most Tx programing. But for 6ch heli, it does not do much more than average 6ch Tx for heli. but the terms and the ways is used for heli set up there is quite a big difference. but once you got these sorted out it is fairly simple.
The major difference in er9x heli as far as terminology and set up is like these in comparison to your regular Tx:
offset = subtrim
use that to level your swash at mid stick in ID1/2.

cyc2= aileron servo (right cyclic servo)
cyc3=elevator servo (rear/front cyclic servo)
cyc1=pitch servo (left cyclic servo)

There is no AFR in er9x. You use the 'inv' in heli menu page and 'inv' in limit menu page to set up your servo direction till they move correctly.
The collective pitch is entirely set in er9x in that 'ch11' mix, all 3 numbers have to be the same. The number determine your max collective pitch.
The cyclic pitch is set by the 'swash ring' in heli set up menu.
Both I usually start at 100 then turn it down till the collective/cyclic pitch I want AND without any binding.

if you know correctly measuring the collective pitch and cyclic pitch, those two will do it.

The most confusing for a heli person coming to er9x is the throttle. Normal tx use 0-100 for throttle curve. NOT er9x, er9x uses -100 to +100.
so 0 throttle on your Tx in er9x is -100, 50% throttle in your Tx is now 0 in er9x and 100 still is 100 (same as 75% throttle in er9x is 50). You need to get this down or you end up with a heck of throttle mess.

on your gyro sensitivity ch, the negative is RM the positive number is HH mode.
The rest would be using what has been described in the previous posts to set up your heli.
Enjoy it!

if you still have problem, I will send you a copy of 'ER9X heli setup for Dummies' I used for myself a while ago. ;)
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

man thats was some helpful ISH right there KAOS!!!! and thanks but please feel free to send me that ER9X for dummies cause i sure can always use it as a reference point. thanks again for all this knowledge you and the rest of the guys on this forum has been dropping on me! way much more help than i was ever expecting when i put the cry out there.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Thank you Kaos. That's really helpful and I will save it. Sure would like to see the Dummies document too.

One point I would add is that 100% in ER9X equals 125% throw in most other radios (JR, Spektrum, Futaba, etc.) so to match the throws of an existing setup with a typical transmitter, you need to set ER9X to 80%. This may be best done in limits.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yeah, post it here please Kaos.
Maybe it needs to be wikied :mrgreen:

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kaos

Post by kaos »

Ok, if you don't mind to get your head noodled up more here is the guide and the template (blank model setting) for you. this is for Flybared CP heli, not for FBL heli.

Remember there are many ways to set up a heli (but the ultimate goal is the same). My way may be a little different from other people's. The major difference in mine is I keep my max collective pitch with that particular heli in the ch11 setting while using the pitch curve to limit the max pitch to what I want so I don't need to go back to reset my head if I need to increase /decrease the collective pitch. And as long as the collective has enough pitch both way (+ / -) I don't need to readjust the linkage rod to get even pitch, just use the pitch curve to make the +/- pitch the same. For beginners, +- 9-10 degree in collective would be enough, when you advance in flying then go to 11-12 degree.

Any one wants to change/add/correct it, feels free to do so.

Having fun to get your brain noodled up. :lol:
for beginners, the heli setup could be frustrating because so many little details in the process - mechanically or programing, but after a few times, you will get used to it. It would help to have an experienced heli pilot to help you to set up the tail and trim the heli. Because if you are a beginner, probably you can't hover very well, that does not help to set up the tail/trim the heli and if there is something not set up right, you can't tell whether it is the set up or it is your flying.
It is a double edged sword in CP heli for beginners - you can't fly, you can't set the heli up right. you can't set it up right, you certainly will hae a hard to to learn to fly.

PS: I found I have 2 slightly different copies of this document in my folder, one is probably modified half way a couple yrs ago but not finished so don't be surprised if there are mistakes here and there. This was written a couple yrs ago, I have not reread it for a while. :P
Attachments
Heli setup model.eepe
(1.31 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
Er9x Heli setup guide for Dummies .rtf
(14.77 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

thanks Kaos!!!!!!
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

Kaos, silly question here....but what program are you suppose to use to open the "eepe" file?
thanks again for all the awesome help pimping!
kaos

Post by kaos »

You should have the eepe for er9x installed on your computer. then double click the eepe file it will be opened with eepe. or Start eepe 1st then open file of that model file.
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

Hey Kaos, let me ask you a question......
i was playing around with my 9XR just to see if i can understand everything about its functions...i got a light kit for future scale projects and i was trying to play with assinging it to my CH8 on Rx but when i try to go thru the radio to make it turn on and off that way i can get the gist of how the radio/menu works....but i cant get the lights (CH8) to turn off but if i put a servo on it i can get one of the pots to be assigned and move the servo back and forth....my question is shouldnt i be able to set CH8 to be like a on/off channel for the lights? Thanks for the help man
kaos

Post by kaos »

depends on which light kit you have. I have light kits that can be turned on /off by a switch, just program a switch in er9x -100/+100 will do.
eg: in the mix ch8 100 FULL GEA then turn on the GEA switch will turn on the light. If you are trying to attach LED directly to a ch, the other way is using a brushed ESC and plug the signal to rx ch and the motor output to the LED, it actually works as a dimmer too if you use a pot/stick as switch. ;) Those brushed ESC can be had from HK for about 5.00.
I have a night light that I use the brushed ESC using Throttle stick as input, so the light is brighter with more power, dimmer with less throttle, but has a minimum brightness with it when throttle is >0.
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

ok this is what i got i got one of those LED nav kits from HK it has a small box that the nav lights connect to (5 connections)
then that control box has a connector lead that plugs up to the Rx (plug only has 2 wires neg and pos) as soon as i plug the flight battery to the ESC the lights come on and i cant shut them off thru the Tx but i will try what you just said and see what i get....BRB
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

ok here is what my menu is saying
source :full
weight: 100
offset:0
flmodetrim:off
trim:on
curves:___
switch: GEA
Multpx: add

and the lights dont do ish but blink on.
kaos

Post by kaos »

I assume you are using HK Lumifly?
you need to set the jumper correctly and the 3 color connector do different thing.
here is my notes on that light kit: (hope still correct ;) )
jumper ON: on/off controlled by switch.
jumper OFF: always ON

when turned ON, (either jumper on and switch on/jumper off) the red and green connector are constant on, white connector has a 1 sec flash

and you can connect whichever color led to those connector characteristic based on your need.
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

the light kit is called "kosta simulated LED system"
ok so i take you are saying i have to make my own jumper? cause the kit doesnt have a jumper. if you like i can send you a picture just give me a location where to send it.
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

like i said the connector to the Rx on has 2 wires a red and a black. so there is only 2 pins that connect to the Rx so i am to assume if it had three wires one of those would have been the signal....or whatever sends signal to react to the input from the Tx.....
kaos

Post by kaos »

Yours is not the Lumify kit. what I mentioned in previous post does not apply to yours.
You need to read that manual see what signal will do what then you can program it.
If you have a link to your light kit manual I can take a shot at it.
yes, it would be helpful if you specify what you have exactly. I can't find a 'Kosta simulated led system' at HK.

edit: if this is what you have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kosta-8-LED-Fla ... 485d4ac1d3
I don't believe you can turn it on or off by a switch. the two wire connector is just to draw power from the rx and the lighting is predetermined by that little box on each connector and the led (some led is fixed on, some led has built in flashing ability with constant power on).
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

yes that is the kit i have and i kinda figured the lights are set in their own way i was just trying to see it i could cut total power from the via Tx you know what i mean? and the manual doesnt really tell you anything but how to plug it up thats all.
kaos

Post by kaos »

you can add this to turn it on/off by a switch.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... witch.html
but if this is only for a heli, the Lumifly may be a better/easier choice. Its little led is quite bright in comparison to those 5/3 mm led you have. If you have a bigger heli (500 or bigger) the system you have may work. but if you have a 450 size heli, that system and wires may be too crowded. the Lumifly system is small and wires are thin and leds are bright, very good for a 450 size.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=6811

The best option is using an arduino board to control the led then you have infinite control of the lighting you want, but that takes some programing in arduino. ;)
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

Like always Kaos....your the man!!!! THANKS

Return to “er9x”