Are you kidding me?

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
kaos

Are you kidding me?

Post by kaos »

Well, we all know Cheerson made CX10 very popular as a fun micro quad. I was browsing on the web and saw this Cheerson CX10 mini STAR. supposedly you can put the quad and controller in the pocket and carry anywhere you want.
I was playful and ordered one just for fun, did not expect anything at all. Today I receive the goods.
You must be kidding me! It is much smaller than I expected. No way I can 'fly' this thing, I can't even see it with my eyes without glasses. ;)
that is what you get plus one USB charging cable and 4 blades and they look like toothpicks. :)
that is what you get plus one USB charging cable and 4 blades and they look like toothpicks. :)
the whole control with quad stored inside in comparison to my Hubsan 107D
the whole control with quad stored inside in comparison to my Hubsan 107D
It has leds, and when battery is low the leds flash just like my Hubsan 107D
It has leds, and when battery is low the leds flash just like my Hubsan 107D
the most incredible thing is it FLIES. Charged up, turn it on, a couple trim clicks. It flies very well. Holly, shmoke!
I have not tried to flip it yet, supposedly it flips and has headless mode.

But I can't fly it 10 feet away from me, because I can't see it after that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: Are you kidding me?

Post by Rob Thomson »

Lol. They are small.

Check this project.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2367400

Allows you to use a proper radio with them :)
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I use my er9x and ersky9x radios to fly my CX-10's ;)
I have built a DIY Multiprotocol Module. You can select any supported protocol from the protocol menu on the radio, including all sub-protocols, Bind, range etc.. :)
The radio outputs serial to the module.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kaos

Post by kaos »

yes, part of the reason I bought this one is I know this thing MAY be controlled by Multiprotocol. but my NRF still some where over pacific. :cry:
Do you know for sure Multi support this one?
It is not the CX10 or CX10A. It is CX STAR, a new one , smaller than CX10.

I already made the a7105 multi by converting a Flysky module, that one flies my V959 and Hubson. working on cc2500 and cyrf 6936. only the NFR still not here. I want to put cc2500 and NRF in one box, they are small enough. Already have a switch made to power just one module at a time. The CYRF will be all by itself. It is big.
Funny thing is, NFR is the one I ordered 1st. and it is the last to arrive. :?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

kaos wrote: Do you know for sure Multi support this one?
It is not the CX10 or CX10A. It is CX STAR, a new one , smaller than CX10.
I don't know.. better ask the guys that are writing the code :)
Already have a switch made to power just one module at a time.
I wonder if the arduino still has available pins, and if there would be enough space inside the module case to implement some Switch circuitry using Mosfets to power each module when the corresponding protocol is selected.. This would save power,and cause less RF noise..

I think this would be a good thing.. Will ask them ;)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

kaos

Post by kaos »

Rob Thomson wrote: Allows you to use a proper radio with them :)
I have this vision: I slip and drop the T9X on this STAR on the table trying to set it up and it is just crushed. :lol: :lol:
Think about it, use a T9X to fly a quad that is smaller than the Tx stick's well, that looks funny! :lol: :lol:
kaos

Post by kaos »

This little bugger not only flies and it flips beautifully. It is like a no brainer flip. They got the FC board done well. Don't even need throttle compensation during/after flip, it auto stabilize itself great. I did not even touch the throttle when it flips. The only problem is I can't see it flipping, all I see is the leds kind of blinked and it moved a little. :lol: :lol:
I need to hack it to make the battery replaceable. Looks like it is hard wired. One fly and wait for 40 min to recharge is not acceptable. But I think I need some really really small connector to do this. ;)
9XTremist

Post by 9XTremist »

@ kaos,
The CX-10A's were h/wired with 100mah and I replaced them with Hyperion 100mah ($0.98) and Nano 130mah and used Pico connectors and got away from the cheap batteries with the built-in protection circuits. Charge a bunch at once on my 208B. I would be curious as to what size the batteries are in these mini (<)nanos.

thanks
If you think that musical sounds come from ESC's
then you probably believe that "Star Trek" was
filmed on "Remote Location"
kaos

Post by kaos »

this little bugger is using 80mah battery hard wired. I did not have a chance to replace with a removable one yet. but I 'think' the HK 100mah lipo which I have a few 'may' squeeze in there. (judging empirically with eye balling). I have to open it up to see. the little thing is so small, I don't even know the pico connector can be used. May have to make a custom made connector to do it.
I will update this when I get it opened (tie up with something else at the moment). or if you get ahead, let me know too. ;)

By the way, this thing is also branded as DHD D1 by BG and some other web site. Should be the same thing, they look identical, don't know for sure about the FC board.
9XTremist

Post by 9XTremist »

Thanks for the info. [Hopefully] I'll hold off a little so it doesn't get added to the "need to finish what I've started list" which seems to grow by an order of magnitude (seemingly) everytime I look.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Well, while watching the New Year's eve fireworks, I opened up this little bugger and try to replace the battery with replaceable lipo.
It is doable. here are some pics:
Here is the total weight of stock STAR
Here is the total weight of stock STAR
My memory is wrong.  The '100mah' lipo is actually 70mah
My memory is wrong. The '100mah' lipo is actually 70mah
I have some odd 138mah long time ago from HK that I used for my DIY heli night blades, they don't even have it any more.  Don't know the C rating on it. I figure I will give it a try.
I have some odd 138mah long time ago from HK that I used for my DIY heli night blades, they don't even have it any more. Don't know the C rating on it. I figure I will give it a try.
stripped down to bare minimum.
stripped down to bare minimum.
It is doable using the pico connector
It is doable using the pico connector
20160101_002553.jpg
The final weight. 1.13g heavier.
The final weight. 1.13g heavier.
There is only one problem. Obviously these 138 mah 1S lipo is of low C rating. Once I started flying, the STAR won't lift and the battery low led starts to flash right away while the lipo is freshly fully charged. Need to get some high C lipo.

9XTremist: where do you get your Hyperion lipo? what is its C rating and what size/dimension/weight it has?
9XTremist

Post by 9XTremist »

All E RC in Phoenix
http://www.allerc.com/batteries-lithium ... 3_155.html

the 100mah are still $0.89 on clearance they have the 9 eagle contacts on them , single and double rail. I got 6 of the little lightweight plastic cage ends the battery fits into for $2.50 on ebay somewhere. they also have the 130mah with the little pico blade connector on the end of the battery but they are like 3.95 on clearance. The Hyp G3 series are 25C - 45C BURST
I've been buying from Dave since 2009. Where do you live, I've got 100, 130 160 in nano-tech and hyp I could mail you 4 or 5 and you could have them I've got more than I could ever use. Just in the hyps i bought over 20 when I saw them @ $0.89. I'll send you a little thing for the 9 eagle batts. I'll see what I've got if you want. People give me stuff sometimes so I need to pay it forward when I can.
kaos

Post by kaos »

What is the thickness and width of the 100/130 mah hyperion measure? I want to be sure it can squeeze through the battery cage as shown in my pic.
9XTremist

Post by 9XTremist »

Hyperion 100mah 25C - see pic

Nano-Tech 130mah 25C - same connector as Hyperion
currently $0.49 @ the global store, $1.38 @ US West
6.6mm thick
10.2mm wide
38.8mm long

I either solder the connector leads to the tabs or use the nine eagle connector.
Fri Jan 01, 2016 - 22-02-49.png
Fri Jan 01, 2016 - 22-02-49.png (39.09 KiB) Viewed 12581 times
kaos

Post by kaos »

wow, looks like both type will work, if the STAR can handle the extra weight.
my current 138mah that fit in the battery tray is 6.22 x 10.87, the thickness(6.22) can expand a little more if needed.
Great. PM sent.
kaos

Post by kaos »

got the Hyperion lipo from 9XTremist. Thank you!

tried the 100 mah in the STAR and it took off. BUT there is problem, the fly time is down to 2 minutes and when flipping it, it drops a lot. Obviously not enough power to hold the height even with full throttle compensation.
the total weight is the same as my 138mah lipo, 1.2g heavier than stock.
then I looked at the set up again. (see the top view of the pic after the 138mah lipo inserted in previous post) I believe besides the weight contribute to the short fly time and drop after clip. Also, the thing is so small, the blades are really small, with the lipo stick out at front and back, almost half of the down thrust is diverted back to top or side instead of down. so half of the thrust is actually again the up float.
So back to scratch board. Looks like have to mod with the original lipo size so it won't block the down thrust(or even bounce back).

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”