Sad news

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
MikeB
9x Developer

Sad news

Post by MikeB »

Sad news from Reading and District Model Aircraft Club.
This is Flaps 30.

"In memory of Patricia Jayne Martin – ‘Trish’
It is with great sadness that I write this appreciation of Trish, my co chairman for such a short time, who died in early February following a massive haemorrhage.

Trish joined RDMAC some four years ago and we soon appreciated her enthusiasm for our sport, particularly gliding where her expertise and talking transmitter were something of a trademark. She joined the committee two years ago and was a fund of good ideas; her willingness to pursue leads to get speakers and to arrange clubhouse events was a breath of fresh air. The last event she arranged was the talk by John Bristow of Deluxe Materials by which time she had sadly passed away. A lifelong Amateur Radio enthusiast she brought her expertise to bear on radio control and her transmitter bore witness to this with its non-standard antenna. She recently shared some of her expertise with the club by presenting a talk on the intricacies of 2.4 Ghz antenna design. Linking her two hobbies together we attended the Reading Amateur Radio club’s McMichael rally last summer where our display generated much interest.

Trish is succeeded by two sons."

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Daedalus66

Re: Sad news

Post by Daedalus66 »

Very sorry to hear that. Her posts were always informed and interesting. I had wondered about her background and only find out now that she's gone.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Sad to here. I heard she was undergoing Cancer treatment a few months back. A great loss :-(
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Indeed sad news.. :(
I did know she was very ill. I emailed Trish mid January because she was the one that started (and succeeded) with the hall effect sensor mod for the 9x radio gimbals, and I needed some guidance because I wanted to mod my radios.
after a while I did receive an answer where she told me she hadn't been well for a while, plus some tips on the hall sensor mod. This was probably her last contribution to this forum and you can read it below. I'm sure Trish would have liked this info published here on the forum..
This is the email I received from her except for the part she talks about her health of course.
We have lost a forum member and even if most of us never met her personally, I could say that we've lost a friend. :(
May her Soul rest in peace..

Here is her email:
No I haven't got a Jeti like Rob has. I wouldn't mind playing with one but that is all; as the highly modified 9X's do all I need and they do it well, which I'm sure you would agree with.

Okay.. Now onto the hall effect stuff. Yes I'm still using one radio that I have turned over to hall effect devices on all sticks. Stability, repeatability and linearity has not been a problem. This is with the five volt regulator changed to a 7805 as the 78L05 is unable to supply enough current to include the hall effect devices.

Okay.. If your magnets are stronger, then all that means is that you will need to increase the distance between the sensor and the magnet to stop it hitting the end rails (plus ve and zero volts) before the mechanical stops on the sticks.

Ensuring the magnet is centred with the pot spindle is important and best achieved by taking the pot out of the stick assembly so you get a better indication if it is right with the greater rotation angle of the pot. Marking where the centre of the pot is with respect the the stick centre is important and has to be accurate, along with finding the 'dead' spot in the magnetic field on the magnet, which will be the zero (mid point electrically) of the magnet/stick position. This is a fiddly job but it is worth spending time on it.

The final alignment is to get the distance between the sensor set so that you get the maximum amount of voltage swing with everything in place. Ideally it would be nice to have the means to move the sensor around the magnet to get the centre spot on. I did that by moving the magnet around on the first one I did, but that isn't ideal as the magnet ended up being off centre with respect to the spindle.

Wrecking the pot to get it into a condition where it is suitable for the modification is easy. I just wished that the pot spindle was a better fit to the bush, as there is a bit of play sideways of the spindle.

Let us know how it goes.

Trish
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Very sorry to hear that. Her posts were always informed and interesting. I had wondered about her background and only find out now that she's gone.

SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

Very sad news indeed... Her incite and wit will truly be missed here.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

So sorry to hear this.
I remember when she changed her avatar and the conversation about it made my day.
My prayers are with her family.
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

Very sad to hear of her death. She was quite knowledgeable and used her talents to help many here and on other forums.

Thanx for letting us know Mike.

Ted

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”