DSM ModelMatch ID questions

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
Philipp

DSM ModelMatch ID questions

Post by Philipp »

I've just got a question regarding DSM2/DSMX ModelMatch which apparently has not been answered before.

From what I have understand so far ModelMatch works by assigning a unique ID to the receiver during binding. Is this ID actually generated by OpenTX dynamically? I guess it has to be randomized to be truly unique, right? Does OpenTX backup this ID when you backup your model memory to the SD card? Is there a way to retrieve this ID from the model backup .bin?

I want to fly my models with two different transmitters (Taranis and Devo 7e) without rebinding them each time I use a different radio, but I would like to keep ModelMatch enabled if possible.
I don't know yet if it is actually possible to assign an specific ModelMatch ID to a model using the Deviation firmware, but this is propably a question for the guys at deviationtx.com :D
If this is not possible could I do it the other way around? Binding all my DSM models to the Devo and somehow reading out their IDs to insert them in my OpenTX model memorys?

I know that this is propably a quite rare usecase and that model match can be turned of as a solution/workaround, that's why I'm posting this in The Pub and not as a feature request :D

Kilrah

Re: DSM ModelMatch ID questions

Post by Kilrah »

Model match number is the "Receiver number" you see in the module settings. By default equal to model slot number, but can be changed.
But anyway:
Philipp wrote: I want to fly my models with two different transmitters (Taranis and Devo 7e) without rebinding them each time I use a different radio
That's impossible. The whole point of binding is for the receiver to store the unique ID of one single TX so that it will only ever listen to that one and no other, until it is bound to another.
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

Sure, I think I understood the point of ModelMatch, but for it to work the TX has to assign a unique ID to each "Receiver Number" which it stores somewhere, right? My main question is where this ID is stored and if it is accessible in any way. Or did i misunderstood the way it works?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It is the Tx module that has the "unique ID" that is stored in the receiver on binding. This is to stop two different transmitters both trying to control a single receiver.
The "model match" number is so you can bind multiple receivers to a single Tx module, and have only one respond.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

Ah, so there is no way to configure the TX module for a specific ID, openTX just tells it which of the internally generated IDs to use based on the Receiver Number set in the Model Memory.
And since the receiver and probably even the satellite receivers do not make this ID available in any form and just store it as the known-good receiver they are allowed to talk with I am basically screwed :D
Thanks for explaining some of the details!

Maybe it is possible to 'clone' the ID with the Devo 7e. These do not have a separate micro on the RF module but configure it directly via SPI instead. And the Cypress RF chips are identical on TX and RX, just with an PA on the TX. Wrong forum for this though, i guess.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes, as deviation emulates the Spektrum radio it must have a "fake" ID defined somewhere. If you set it to be the same as your genuine module it should work. Now the problem is I don't think there is existing code ot any easy way to find out your module's ID.
Sniffing the communication between the MCU and Cypress chip of a receiver with a logic analyser could be a way...
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

Sniffing the the ID on the receiver side might be the only option I am capable of.

However it might be possible to put the CYRF... chip in the Devo into some kind of receive mode where I would bind my Taranis to the Devo, similar to the wireless trainer systems used in Spektrums recent radios. The Devo would store the ModelMatch ID of the Dx5e module built into my Taranis.
I guess the ModelMatch ID that is transmitted does not only contain the GUID of the RF module, but also the selected receiver number. Do you know if it might be possible to extract the GUID out of this, or are there some kind of complex calculations involved?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes, but that's a lot of non-existing code to write.

AFAIK if the model ID is 0, you get the module's ID. If not, then jsut store the ID you receive, as it's the combination of both. So you'd have model match right there.
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

Thats true, thanks!

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”