Nokia gives good Phone

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
mnementh

OT: Nokia gives good Phone ;)

Post by mnementh »

[RANT]

You know, for me Android long ago lost that "new gadget smell"; I'm sick and tired of devices that ALMOST work and a mobile OS that is perpetually ALMOST finished. As much as I loathe MS predatory business practices, they're NOTHING compared to the way US Mobile Carriers molest Android.

I have to admit it that when I was forced to buy a Nokia 521 (my Samsuck blandroid phone died while I was in the process of a large, expensive move; the 521 was $80 cash/no contract from HSN) a year ago, it was a revelation almost as great as my first iPwn. The da**ed thing just plain WORKS. No BS, it comes preloaded with almost everything I need on a phone, and the only thing I wanted from the app store was a few games.

It's really nice to have a phone made by folks who how to make a phone that is A PHONE FIRST, not a toy tablet stuffed full of adware with a phone as an afterthought that you need to find apps full of adware to make it do anything useful. It's intuitive to use in the same way as my iPwns were, and when I plug it into my PC, it connects no mess no fuss no BS drivers that blow up and kill your USB driver stack like the stupid Samsbunge software. Or worse yet, being forced to connect with iTunes which tries to force complete OS rewrites on you whether you want them or not and you feel like you're rolling the dice every time you plug it in as to whether you're going to get your phone back or a brick.

I'm sick of Android in general; for the same reason I'm sick of LINUX. Sure it's free, if you can get it to run. I have a job and family and things to get done; I'm sick of spending more time under the hood than behind the driver's seat. My current Win 7/64 build has survived 3 motherboard/processor changes intact and being cloned to a new hard drive 4 times. XP worked similarly for me for a decade. For me, THAT continuity is worth $80 per license.

My computer is a tool. My phone is a tool. I need to be able to use my tools to fix other things, not have to fix my tools before I can use them to fix other things.

[/RANT]

Just sayin'.

mnem
*Fire*

jhsa

Re: 9XR Pro is Here

Post by jhsa »

Ha ha.. :) I do undrstand you.. but I have put a bit of effort to undrstand linux.. and I tell u what.. I work with music, and never again I will use a windowz machine to work.. no more high latency, no more crashes while I am in the middle of a a gig. Ah, no more anti virus too.. perfect.. and the best of all it is free.. ;)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
mnementh

Re: Nokia gives good Phone

Post by mnementh »

I see my post has been moved; I know TPTB had to since somebody complained. :roll:

There was a reason I clearly labeled it OT; usually that's enough to let people know they should just skip to the next post. I forget sometimes that this is one of those places where I need to let my geek side rule, not my "Hawaiian shirt & shorts" side. ;)

Hope nobody was offended; that was not my intent, I promise. Nor was it to start an OS war in the middle of a nice, quiet, geeky thread about RC radio hackage. :D

mnem
I can tolerate pretty much anything except intolerance.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mine was probably moved too.. maybe because the posts were off topic. ;)
Not a problem.. it's allowed to rant over OS.. no problem :) ;) you're not offending anyone. That would be a problem.. have a beer :D

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

I have to admit that I had to give the thread title a couple of reads, as I thought that it had an incorrect word at the end. :mrgreen:

Running Linux (Ubuntu) here with Windoze XP working in Ubuntu using Oracle VM Virtualbox as a host to XP. Personally I still like OS/2 Warp of which I have my original disc from years back sitting in my collection. Sorry that is off topic.. But that is the way things go when you are in the Pub. We might end up talking about biting as a form of defence in Football or the latest Tennis troubles involving white outfits instead of techy stuff or how the World of RC has lost out with the lack of tray format transmitters and how good it was back in the day of bang bang systems or valve receivers with wind up rubber band escapements... It is getting hard to source good quality bands for that purpose.. :)

As for phones.. I used to have a brick phone way back when it all started.. Nowadays I don't have or want a phone as I have no real need of one or the hassle of having such things with me while I'm out having fun.

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

I REALLY wish I had the means to get away from the "electronic leash"; but I'm not independently wealthy, and I have a wife & kids... so not happening.

The nature of my work demands that I have a Smart Phone; it is how I get my assignments which is how I make money to support those unimportant things, as well as my Model Aircraft Habit, which is what is REALLY important. :mrgreen: And if I didn't have a phone, I'd have no way to call those unimportant things and apologize for not being there because I'm out flying... err, doing what's important. ;) *

I've been 'droided and iPwned; and after the joy of discovering what they can and can't do, & all the exciting gadgetry available of both, I'm happy to find a nice, boring phone that just plain works.

mnem
[* Complete and utter fabrication, except for the work part.]
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

yeah, these things are good video cameras, make top photos, nice video game machines, great for facebook and similar.. But they are absolutely terrible as telephone.. Go figure :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”