Taranis - RTFM!

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
Flaps 30

Taranis - RTFM!

Post by Flaps 30 »

Bit of a rant coming up... :evil:

Having watched over the last couple of days at the new owners of the Taranis coming in with problems concerning how to update the firmware. It does concern me a bit as to what some people are up to. I have this vision of the package arriving at the door, and after ripping open the package and removing said Taranis from the box, the next few steps for the owner seems to be plug in the battery and try to update the firmware before even giving it a good test or just getting used to what they have before going further. This to me is asking for something to bite you in the rear at a fast rate of Knots. Note that at no stage was there any mention of reading a manual or anything other than some glossy advert in some Methanol head magazine. :roll:

What has happened with what to me is a normal way of doing things?

Step 1 - Read the manual and read it over and over until the key points have sunk in! ----> http://code.google.com/p/opentx/wiki/OpenTx_FrSky_EN

Step 2 - Test said unit for at least a few days and use it as it is, so you start to become comfortable before going further.

Step 3 - Read about companion and how to use it and what it can do.

Step 4 - Install Companion and get it to 'talk' to the radio. Once you have done that you can have a go at transferring model files to and from Taranis.

Step 5 - Once you have got your head around that, and you are confident in using the TX and Companion, then and only then should you start thinking about updating firmware.

Step 6 - Now you have done all of that and you are pleased with what you have, it is time to thank the developers by making a donation to them, so they can afford to buy beer or kit to help them with their development work..

Maybe it's time to have a few sticky threads in some forums containing valuable information or at least an FAQ thread of some sort. Maybe this could be done in a few languages, as this is truly an International forum.

Heck!! All ranted out now.. Time for a Pear Cider I reckon. :)

ShowMaster

Re: Taranis - RTFM!

Post by ShowMaster »

+1.
I actually fly my new systems before doing antthing. In the case of the Taranis and the LCD display patch I'm on the fence about flying it or patching it first. Too bad Aloft didn't have that as an official Frsky patch before mine was updated for shipping to add the authors names back.
Mine will be here by Friday so I have time to think on it.
I'm gearing up to help out several local rc clubs I belong to when they get theirs, assuming I don't have trouble :? :oops: .
I think I'm the first and will be giving talks on it.
Good news is I don't think the Taranis can be bricked or have reverse battery applied unlike the 9X. We all get a break there.
That being said, who will be the first to find a way? :o
SM
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

Umm... That's not how the iPhone crowd expects things these days. What do you mean I have to do more than charge the battery and it will then do everything I can imagine without my intervention right out of the box!!??

The other side of the coin is the lack of documentation for those of us who have actually read (and re-read) what's available and still have to come here and other sites to get the information we need to make some basic setups. That's OK for me because I'm a retired geek with the motivation and time to do that sort of thing.

It also goes good with a glass or three of nice red wine or a few kick-ass mugs of a manly IPA. Pear Cider?? Uhh, NO THANKS! :roll: :lol:

Ted
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I understand the new FkySky (not Frsky) tx is being shown with a color touch screen. A iPhone interface could be next. Just pop it in the empty space on the tx case front.

About reading the manual. I think Scott Page should do a boxed DVD & BR set and put it on eBay. Why not make some money reading and showing what the manuals talking about for those that don't read manuals.
I'm in if he can add a lovely assistant so there's something for everyone to watch,
Men, woman, and Taranis owners.

SM
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

Well you can blame the internet for a lot of the "skimming" that people do now instead of reading.

Here is an example of how people read web pages

http://thenextweb.com/dd/2011/07/10/peo ... d-pattern/

Now of course manuals are different as they concentrate the information in one place, but it seems that the more people read online pages the less of an attention span they have!

Are you still reading this...Hmm thought so, most have stopped by the link above and then gone somewhere else :)
Maintain thine airspeed.
Lest the ground arise and smite thee!

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Redbrickman wrote:Well you can blame the internet for a lot of the "skimming" that people do now instead of reading.

Here is an example of how people read web pages

http://thenextweb.com/dd/2011/07/10/peo ... d-pattern/

Now of course manuals are different as they concentrate the information in one place, but it seems that the more people read online pages the less of an attention span they have!

Are you still reading this...Hmm thought so, most have stopped by the link above and then gone somewhere else :)
Sorry, I dosed off at concentrate. Ha ha.
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Step 1.5. Knowing I will be writing models now and firmwae later, the first thing I want is to read/upload the contents of the Tx as delivered by the manufacture. In hopes that if (when?) I screw something up, I'll have a baseline to return to if necessary.

Almost any test will involve changing the units baseline.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

rdeanchurch - Okay I will let you off. Most of us seasoned 9X modders have a head start on newcomers to Companion and Opentx. But it still IMO worth leaving the firmware well alone for a while, so that if any faults should occur, that it will make things easier to sort out..

Isn't there a dire warning regarding warranty if you should replace the supplied firmware with another one, even if it happens to be your standard (as on this site) Opentx? I presume that the warranty will be fine, as long as it is using Frsky's versions of Opentx or their updates?
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

So from what I'm reading the display patched FW it a big improvement and I probably will want it. Is it approved, or can it be?
Who is making the Frsky FW official vs regular opnTX? Frsky or the group that actually wrote it I wonder? Will Frsky be taking over the opentx for the Taranis or just bless releases with their name on it?
Is there a way to tell o
If the original supplied FW has been put back on the TX?
If the failure is not FW related would it matter?
I assume that would be a local warranty stations call. Probably helps if you bought it from that provider in the first place?
I don't think these questions are answered in the manual so I brought them up.
SM
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Hasn't been discussed in detail, but to me - hardware warranty would always be covered. The way things are done it's impossible to do any kind of hardware or permanent damage through firmware alone.

So the difference would be that if you flashed "pure" openTx, then don't go anymore to FrSky asking for help about firmware. If you use their approved FW, then feel free.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Speaking of reading the manual,
Does the Taranis come with one or should I be downloading it and printing it out? I don't think I saw a printed manual in the pictures or utube videos and my Taranis is still in shipping.
I'm pretty sure the answer is "download and then rtfm" but I asked anyway.
Ok, you guessed it! I'm board waiting for the mailman and idol minds are the devils workshop!
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Its on the SD card, but I'ld go with the copy to the right of the screen you are looking at near the top. It gets updated....but my SD card copy doesn't. :mrgreen:
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”