Taranis spotted in RCM&E

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Taranis spotted in RCM&E

Post by Rob Thomson »

uploadfromtaptalk1372105211978.jpg
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

jhsa

Re: Taranis spotted in RCM&E

Post by jhsa »

Novice beware? :o
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Wingsounds13

Post by Wingsounds13 »

Novice Beware.

Meaning 'This radio is programmed differently from other radios, so those of us who are accustomed to 'normal' style radio programming have difficulty with it and thus believe that those with no pre-conceptions about programming computer radios will have a very hard time with it'.

I would be interested in reading that article to see what they actually say. :)

J.P.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

+1 as i can't get RCM&E here.. ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Bare in mind this was put forward for print ar least 3 months back.

Since then - allot of knowledge would have been accrued by end users.

One of the things we all need to be aware of: we are soon going to see a mass influx of noons. A typical comment I receive on other forums is: 'I am hoping It will be easy enough to just pick up and use'

I keep reminding people - they MUST read the manual and watch the videos. It is very easy to use - but if you do not know the basic concepts, then you will be lost and find it hard.

Fun times round the corner :)

...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Rob Thomson wrote:One of the things we all need to be aware of: we are soon going to see a mass influx of noons. A typical comment I receive on other forums is: 'I am hoping It will be easy enough to just pick up and use'
Hmm.. I hope we can corral them in one area. Wouldn't like to see them splattering Taranis stuff over our other forums.

Heck! .. If the majority of people reckon it is going to be easier to program than a Spektrum DX6i then they are in for a fall. Hopefully the fall can be made a soft one with a fair number of ready made model files/templates.

As for RCM&E ... Never buy it now... It is full of warbirds with smoky nasty noisy motors up front, along with articles that have little interest to 'foamy glider fliers'... Once upon a time it had electronic articles in it and some great electronic based projects.. I remember a quad copter (way back in the early 70's) that was built by Dr John Emmett. The electronics on that was ground breaking for the time. Ohh well.. Life goes on..
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Warbirds? Noisy smoky engines? I gotta subscribe that magazine again..
the one i get here only has electric foamies and gliders.. booooring :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Some of my models were built from the plans that came with that magazine.. This was about 12 years ago.. I loved it..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Clivew

Post by Clivew »

Fylon racing porever :D

How I miss the audio feedback from my ops 40 with electric power :roll:

At least I could hear what it was doing.

But then. I am old now and deaf as well, doesn't help :(
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Sorry about your hearing not being as it was when you were younger. That is the price you pay when you expose yourself to noise sources like your ops 40..

The acceptable noise levels (those laid down by the BMFA) are outdated and people are being harmed by excessive noise from 'toy' engines. It is time it should be revised or at the very least ear defenders should become the order of the day, along with high visibility jackets on the flying field.

Sorry to go off topic... Well not really.. This is the beer garden where anything goes.. :)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

For me is ok as I'm a musician, I'm used to noisy places ;) And I love the SOUND form the engines.
Loved it when I flew open cockpit planes where we could hear the engine very well, and feel the wind on the face. I have to go back and so it again sometime.
Theres a friend from my club that has very nice models with more than 200cc. Just love the sound and the power..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Yesterday at the flying field a number of people approached me saying that they had seen the Taranis in the RCM&E and they thought it looked good. So I went onto mention that the firmware was based on what I was using in my transmitter, along with the goodies that I have plus a few more that the Taranis has that my TX didn't have. So I reckon that a few sales will be made to some of our club members. They were amazed and somewhat concerned about the low price of the Taranis/Frsky kit, so it may help sales if Frsky increase their prices to come more into line with JR/Futaba/Jeti equipment, to remove some of the concern that cheap equals low quality/toy radio equipment. Ohhhh... Did I mention tray format?

Obviously I had to point out that the Taranis was the ideal transmitter for glider types but it would work for Methanol drugged modellers and their noisy anti social simplistic IC models. :twisted:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Flaps 30 wrote:They were amazed and somewhat concerned about the low price of the Taranis/Frsky kit, so it may help sales if Frsky increase their prices to come more into line with JR/Futaba/Jeti equipment, to remove some of the concern that cheap equals low quality/toy radio equipment.
Sad isn't it? They try to make something really good and affordable, and that's the feedback they get.. I guess sometimes there are some kind of "who pays more" competition in our hobby..
Some guys at my club only have the top radios from futaba, and when one buy, some of the others can't stay behind.. I find it really sad.. more expensive is better.. Cr*p.. 8-)
Obviously I had to point out that the Taranis was the ideal transmitter for glider types but it would work for Methanol drugged modellers and their noisy anti social simplistic IC models. :twisted:
WOW, Those are the best news I had since a long time :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

What will chance the minds will be when contests are won with the Taranis. In the states they need to get more of their radios used by local AMA clubs so it gets into the AMA magazine pictures. I plan to demo my Taranis to 2 club meetings and was just asked by a third. I did demos of the Frsky module and RX link system a year and a half ago and now their are many using it in their Futaba's and JR's. Many use the Frsky Futaba RXs now. I also demoed the 9x conversions. That caught on with a sp and Frsky upgrade. At my local field I've done or consulted on, 10 er9x Frsky conversions, and 4 Frsky sky board conversions.
All have worked flawlessly and I pass mine around to look at when ever asked.
The majority of the flyers still fly Futaba or Spektrum but I thinky the next club demos (after I fly mine for QC and solid link) will be a game changer! I'm asked every time I go flying "if the new radio is out yet", and "when will you be showing it at a club meeting"! Unfortunately like all of us have been saying a lot , my answer is "any day now"!
Point here is, crashing it at our local fields will not help, flying it well and passing it around and showing it to others flying will!
Mine will be written up in several news letters that get posted on line as well.
Now that it has a model type math feature and the HK DSM module can plug into it it's even more impressive.

The biggest hurdle is the big sponsor money behind the name brands. Several years ago I won a contest funded by Futaba at our well know large field. As I received the prize I was asked to take some pictures with my tx in hand. I agreed and picked up my JR I used at the time. They paused and asked me if I minded holding a Futaba tx for the picture instead! I said no so no pictures were taken.
I never got into the magazines, just the local news letter!
SM
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Flaps 30 wrote: Obviously I had to point out that the Taranis was the ideal transmitter for glider types but it would work for Methanol drugged modellers and their noisy anti social simplistic IC models. :twisted:

The aricle / mention was part if the gliding column in the mag. :)

Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Rob Thomson wrote:The aricle / mention was part if the gliding column in the mag. :)
Ahh right.. That makes sense.. Yes I forgot that the magazine has a very small section for glider types.

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”