Newbie question (sorry)!

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
MoleHunter

Newbie question (sorry)!

Post by MoleHunter »

Got my 9x coming from the HK DE warehouse. It's to be my "chuck it in the van" tx and a second one later one will be mini-me's so i can buddy him and teach him to fly. I use a Futaba 8FG with the 14 channel upgrade normally, but the proliferation of cheap foamies from HK gets kinda offset by £30 for an rx.

First question (and I'm sure there will be many!), is there anything wrong with the stock rf? I know many people replace it with FrSky, but the 9x rx is only a fiver!

wilco1967

Re: Newbie question (sorry)!

Post by wilco1967 »

Have never flown with the stock module myself.... it lasted about 30 seconds before I took it apart and installed the Frsky ;) .

But for foamy flying, I see nothing wrong with the stock module.
It has no failsafe, and (appearently, theoretically) the chances of a loss of control are slightly higher.
But as long as you don't fly out very far, or use expensive, heavy, dangerous models, it will be perfectly fine.

I've used a cheap HK-6A transmitter (which is using the same modules as the stock 9X), without any problem so far.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the stock module.

I use it in many models (a few are not foamies, a nice 5ft wing span Flybaby and 6 ft wingspan fpv plane), I have bnf models from when I had a spektrum transmitter, for that reason, I install a dsm2 module in on of my transmitters.

The stock module is great, it's got good range, there are many different size receivers available, from micro up to full range.

It's nice to have the option to upgrade/change your radio when you feel like it. Don't be forced by the masses. Do what you want, the er9x firmware will work nicely with a stock setup. Upgrade when you are comfortable.

I've never had issues with the stock setup. Range is excellent (further than a dx6 or dx4e), and this is personal experience.
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

Absolutely agree.

I like the stock setup for simplicity. Works very well. Most of us have FrSky simply for the telemetry :)
Z

BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR!!!
What goes up... Should be controlled by a 9X!
MoleHunter

Post by MoleHunter »

Thanks for the replies.

Next stupid question- is the battery pack a square one the same as a DX7 or similar? I've got a brand new pack of 2300mAh Instants I'd like to use if so:

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That battery pack should fit mechanically, you will need to (carefully, to get the polarity correct) change the connector. The 9x comes with a holder for 8 AA cells, with the correct connector fitted. Just cut it off, and connect it to your pack, either instead of the connector supplied, or fit a mating connector.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
wheelspinner20

Post by wheelspinner20 »

I am 90% positive that the battery pack pictured will work... When you get the new radio.... very carfully double and tripple check that the positive is in the center.... on the cheap 8 cell holder that comes with it.

I have been told that those jr style servo connectors, which is what it LOOKs LIKE you have on there is the same pin spacing as the 2s balance connector that comes on the stock battery holder... just dont plug it in untill you are dead positive that the positive + is in the middle... don't have mine in front of me right now.

Pat
no more quippy little latin phrases.! Its old
MoleHunter

Post by MoleHunter »

Mine arrived today.

Checked the quality of the soldering (ok), checked to see if it's a V1 or V2 board (it's a V2), changed it from Mode 1 to Mode 2 in the hardware and the software and tested it on the bench.

I've cut the plug off the battery pack and soldered it onto the Instants pack, so I've got 2300mAh now and don't have to worry about balance charging. ;)

Haven't tried charging it in the tx yet. It's centre positive, yes?

Next thing is to save my pennies for a Smartieparts board. Does anyone know what they cost shipped to the UK?
pldb64

Post by pldb64 »

Hi MH,

This info is no longer relevant for you since it appears you're in the UK, but i've included in case others come by this thread seeking an answer to the same question.

I'm based in Australia. Thus far, the stock 9x modules are not approved for use by our MAAA. The FrSky ones however are! ... My 9x was converted as soon as it arrived :-)

Thanks
Peter
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

The stock 9x rx's aren't approved.. but the Orange ones are? Wow... :D

The stock 9x rx's have a better range than spektrums and so far, more reliable too. :geek:

Just saying.

MAAC here is trying to pull some c**p about using fcc and IC approved rx's only in model planes. Well, MAAC is becoming a joke. Went to a meeting tonight, 2hrs of bickering and arguing, no one really enjoys just flying anymore. Just fly, use your head, and learn what your systems are capable of.
MoleHunter

Post by MoleHunter »

In the UK we need CE approval.

Lots of CE stuff is fake and in truth it's an unenforceable joke, but the CE approval on the 9x actually appears genuine.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

MoleHunter wrote:
Next thing is to save my pennies for a Smartieparts board. Does anyone know what they cost shipped to the UK?
At my last order... a month or so back... £36.48
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

MoleHunter wrote:In the UK we need CE approval.

Lots of CE stuff is fake and in truth it's an unenforceable joke, but the CE approval on the 9x actually appears genuine.

Unfortunately 99% of this is also general scare scaremongering. Many people are under the believe that if you 'modify' your radio you effectively void CE warranty. In turn loosing your insurance etc...

However..... all shops are selling diy modules...??? Does not really make sense :mrgreen:
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
MoleHunter

Post by MoleHunter »

Rob Thomson wrote:
MoleHunter wrote:
At my last order... a month or so back... £36.48
Thanks Rob. :)
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

cre8tiveleo wrote: MAAC here is trying to pull some c**p about using fcc and IC approved rx's only in model planes. Well, MAAC is becoming a joke. Went to a meeting tonight, 2hrs of bickering and arguing, no one really enjoys just flying anymore. Just fly, use your head, and learn what your systems are capable of.
The stupid part is that receivers don't need FCC approval, outside of the basic part15 spurious emissions stuff that almost all electronic devices have.
And FCC approval does not consider suitability to the task at hand, only that the device is not interfering with other users of the band.
Spektrum is good about getting their approvals, and they have sold some real clunkers .Lots of nice models were lost to the AR6250, which was recalled and replaced with the AR6255.
The whole DSM2 protocol was approved, yet has been shown to be "less than optimal" and has been superseded by DSMX.

Yet somehow MAAC is pushing this whole FCC/IC thing!

Pat MacKenzie
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I don't think so.. In Germany the customs are keeping the 9x, so I've read. B*****ds :evil: Apparently the CE certificate is fake.. But is it? or is it that they are trying to stop everything coming from outside the EU??
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Rob Thomson wrote:Unfortunately 99% of this is also general scare scaremongering. Many people are under the believe that if you 'modify' your radio you effectively void CE warranty. In turn loosing your insurance etc..
I have had a couple of people mutter such things to me concerning my TX. From what I can see, we are okay as the product liability aspects of the BMFA insurance allows for what we do.

I do wonder how long it will be before things start to get tight with the BMFA and the insurance companies insisting that we only use unmodified radio equipment approved by the BMFA. With that will come approved models (ready built only) that can be flown, along with the pilot having a BMFA 'A' certificate as a minimum before they can fly alone. I do hope that things won't come to this, but I see our hobby moving this way.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Newbie question (sorry)!

Post by Rob Thomson »

And then... When you crash your foamy... You will have to send it to an authorised foamy repair centre :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MoleHunter

Post by MoleHunter »

jhsa wrote:

I don't think so.. In Germany the customs are keeping the 9x, so I've read. B*****ds :evil: Apparently the CE certificate is fake.. But is it? or is it that they are trying to stop everything coming from outside the EU??
But Jamara sells the exact same radio as the Air Jump for over €200. CE certificate must be fake on that one too. :D

Would be interesting to find out if they're the same numbers.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

exactly, that's why I don't understand why the customs are stopping the radios.. the problem is that they can do whatever they want and we can't do nothing about it.
Maybe Jamara certified the radio under their name??
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MoleHunter

Post by MoleHunter »

They seem to have discontinued it now in favour of the Wfly WFT09.

On that and the Air Jump (the page is archived on Google) they show lots of certificates for the radios but no CE certificate, despite the logo being clearly shown.

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”