Time for an Operating System Change

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
Kilrah

Re: Time for an Operating System Change

Post by Kilrah »

What checkbox makes it crash? What system version do you have?
Works perfectly on my 2 macs here (1x Lion and 1x Mountain Lion)

Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

Hi Kilrah,

Did work fine on Snow Leopard.

c9X version 0.97 R1382 Sep 2, 2102

I have not updated using the auto update because when I first got it working forum member Groot was making new versions, AFAIK the auto update did not work on Mac then.

If I untick any of the prefs shown on the attached image it crashes.

Would be happy to get it going again as it's more convenient than digging out my old Xp laptop each time I need to do any work on 9x.
Attachments
c9x-prefs.jpg
Maintain thine airspeed.
Lest the ground arise and smite thee!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Ouch, that's awfully old.
You should download the 1.28 update:
http://code.google.com/p/companion9x/do ... update.dmg

Auto update still doesn't work, but if you've got the check for updates box ticked it will notify you there is a new version that you can go download manually.
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

Works!

I just hadn't tried the manual update route as I thought they hadn't been done for the Mac since Groot's last update, which was a long time ago.

Will give it a good run now to see how it works.

EDIT Downloaded a new firmware file with different settings and successfully flashed to the TX, read back EPROM's and generally tried to break it, but happy to say all is well!

Also realised I had gone OT and should have started new thread - sorry folks :oops:

Thanks.
Maintain thine airspeed.
Lest the ground arise and smite thee!
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Redbrickman wrote:Also realised I had gone OT and should have started new thread - sorry folks :oops:
Tsk! Naughty! :lol:

One of us may split this off to form a new thread in Companion. :)

dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

Thanks for the heads up About Mint/Cinnamon.
One of my Windows 8 installations ended up more or less grinding to a halt and nothing I did would make the beast move any faster. Every time I started the damned thing it would take forever doing God knows what and basically making the system unusable for 10 minutes. After that it transformed into unbearable slow, which I guess is an improvement. And this on a machine that was quite snappy with Windows 7...
In the end I got so frustrated that I formatted the hard drive (willingly blowing the licence fee I have payed MicroSoft) and installed Mint/Cinnamon.
I would have used Ubuntu or Fedora, but after trying Mint/Cinnamon I agree that it is the most enjoyable Linux experience at the moment.
So thanks again Rob, you were right.
deaconFlyer

Post by deaconFlyer »

I have only one Window$ system 8 due to some music software that only runs in that environment. I put Start8 on it and it is relatively stable but full of annoying stalls, Internet use etc. etc.

My day systems are all Linux ... either Ubuntu or Mint. Recently Mint installed on a very old ThinkPad with everything, even the wireless up and running. Ubuntu was about 80% working. I have Ubuntu Server on one old PC and it runs as a NAS and automatic backup for critical files.

My son's Macs run and run and run. C9X is running on all of them without glitches.

My advice, got an old laptop that sits in the cupboard with Vi$ta or worse on it. Try LinuxMint on it. You could do worse.

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”