Was I dumb for buying a 9X vs XR or not waiting for X9D?

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
Scott Page

Re: Was I dumb for buying a 9X vs XR or not waiting for X9D?

Post by Scott Page »

kaos wrote: I can live with a notchy 3 position switch (as long as it works) but I can't fly without a rx. ;)
If switch quality is an issue; the whole lot of them can be changed to Futaba Switches for about $50. That's not a change I'd recommend for everybody, but if there is a particular switch that's sort of sketchy -- it's an easy fix.

kaos

Post by kaos »

thx, I will keep that on my 'reserve' list. ;)
RightRudder

Post by RightRudder »

Hi all

I'm new here. This thread is interesting to me as I find myself in exactly the same boat. I just went from only discovering anything about 9x existed in Nov 2012 to ordering a 9x and ver.3 sky9x board mid Dec to mid Jan having a 9x with frsky internal two way module installed a with a new LCD and sky board working and open9x firmware flashed. All I can say is WOW WOW WOW. Learning to program this radio is almost like learning a new language but the possibilities....! I still think I am better off with what I have than I would be with anything else currently offered, and if I want ball bearings I can do that too. Such a huge big thank you to the community and all the hard working developers on the hard, firm and software sides. Guys take a bow. You are really showing the big boys how it should be done.

Joe
kaos

Post by kaos »

Have a beer for that. ;)

more to come. check the ERSKY9X coding thread for latest cooking. ;) The dawn of Sky9x board had just begun. ;)
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

kaos wrote:The dawn of Sky9x board had just begun. ;)
Looking at the latest information. I get the impression that unless a miracle happens, that we have seen the last of the Sky boards. ---> viewtopic.php?f=67&t=2692

kaos

Post by kaos »

how about V.4 ;) It was not too long when V.B is out then it comes with V.3 also Skynorth seems to be hinting a pigbag add on ARMs board for stock board.
X9D is coming , but there are tons of T9X out there. ;) (I read it but can't find the thread now)
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

All depends on how much the x9d costs.

If the x9d is close to $100, then the most cost effective upgrade to your 9x is a new radio.

If closer to $200, then the sky board has a market.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
kaos

Post by kaos »

here it is.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2738&p=38431#p38431

either x9d or sky9x , I think this is the beginning of ARMS age. ;)
kaos

Post by kaos »

Rob Thomson wrote:All depends on how much the x9d costs.

If the x9d is close to $100, then the most cost effective upgrade to your 9x is a new radio.

If closer to $200, then the sky board has a market.
Any one wants to open up a betting booth to see what X9D is going to be sold? :lol:

I was notified by alofthobby they will have them for sale in April.
hart

Post by hart »

As a seasoned early adopter and tech-geek, my experience with these things is that "there's always something new coming soon...and you will very likely not be satisfied when it comes does". In my opinion, you are always better off getting the current (or near current) model that satisfies your current and near future needs, than holding out for the "new one that is just around the corner". Why? Because the "new one" will inevitably not be all it was cracked up to be (as the 9XR has demonstrated, in some small asthetic ways) and meanwhile you've wasted time and angst waiting for the "new one" to come out - for an extreme example, just look at Duke Nukem Forever :-).

I too am "new" to the hobby (actually, I'm returning after 20 years away from it) - and like the OP I struggled with the TX choice - I was torn between buying a "brand name" radio (DX8) or the budget option (for considerably less ££) at the cost of doing the required mods that make sense (e.g.: upgrade the firmware, etc).

On one hand, I didn't want to muck around too much with hacks and mods to get a working system (I will have enough on my plate with the learning curve on the model side of things), but at the same time the price difference was huge - and in the end, the future potential to hack and mod won out. So then my choice was simple: 9x or 9XR - but which way to go?

In the end, a combination of Bruce's reviews and the SmartieParts 9x Solderless Programmer Board with LED Backlight Support made the final decision easy - I won't have to cut holes in my TX to get a firmware upgradable radio and I won't have to solder anything either - not that I can't, I just prefer not to at this early stage.

So no, I don't think you were dumb to buy a 9X vs. XR, nor do I think you were dumb to not wait for the next big thing - even if it comes out in 3 months time and really IS the best thing since sliced bread, for the tiny price we're talking about, you can always keep the 9X as a buddy or trainer TX or sell/give it to a friend and get someone else into the hobby.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

hart wrote:
On one hand, I didn't want to muck around too much with hacks and mods to get a working system (I will have enough on my plate with the learning curve on the model side of things), but at the same time the price difference was huge - and in the end, the future potential to hack and mod won out. So then my choice was simple: 9x or 9XR - but which way to go?
That was exactly what I thought.. I started following the er9x development on RCGroups, then ordered a 9x and thought: ok, I'll change the fw cos the stock seems to be c**p. ;)
Then came the backlight. then I wanted telemetry. And then, I just lost control of myself and became a hackoholic :mrgreen: Currently I have telemetry, er9x, rotary encoder, audio/voice and on one of my radios I've just replaced the Atmega64 with an Atmega128. That was a good shot of adrenaline let me tell ya ;) :mrgreen:
So, all I gotta say is, you start but you won't stop.. Welcome to the 9xforums. I hope you like beer cos we love it around here :)

João

P.S. - The only mod I won't do is the haptic.. If something vibrates when I'm flying, I'll drop the radio :D
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
hart

Post by hart »

You're right João - I've already ordered the backlight and two LiFe batteries for the TX :-) Annoyingly they will arrive before the TX will...

Oh and beer, yes, well, that goes without saying ;-) I have half a dozen of these in the fridge :-)

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hmmmm tempting.. nham nham.. :mrgreen:
But I'd better wait till this horrible cold goes away ;)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

@jhsa - so you did get the 128 working now? I've been dying to ask you but knew you had a cold so was giving you a break...

@kaos - Yes, power to the ARMS! I love that Brent is stewing some new goodies in that thread you linked.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yes I did.. still have the cold though ;)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2545&p=38783#p38715

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

Cool! so was a programmer issue and in fact you did the 128 mod perfectly the first time anyways! Good job brother!
scottydsntknow

Post by scottydsntknow »

Well I'm the OP and I finally got back from a business trip and all my stuff was waiting from HK and Smartieparts. Modded the back of the 9X so the DJT plugs right in, installed the smartieboard/backlight, loaded ER9X, then installed the TelemetrEZ board and routed the telemetry wires internally so I don't have them on the outside of the radio like in the TelemetrEZ instructions. Just drilled a 1/8" hole in the side of the DJT, snipped a little extra space around one of the slots in the bay where the DJT goes. Soldered the wires to the corresponding pins on the DJT and then fed the telemetry plug through the back as I plugged the DJT in and then hooked up the TelemetrEZ board. No ugly wires on the outside. Latest version of ER9x loaded (782) to properly get the THR and AIL switches working and boom, fully telemetry display functional 9X. Couldn't be happier and the Turnigy branded 9x I got is all black, not grey which is a nice touch too. I am very glad I did not buy the XR as it would not be as functional as my 9X is. All I'm waiting on now is my battery adapter cable from Parkeflyer so I can have my Life battery connected properly instead of the 3 prong black plug that mashes up the battery wires.
hart

Post by hart »

Nice work Scott! Looking forward to hearing how it all works :-) Would like to see some pics on how to kept the wires inside?

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”