rmilec rssi

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
flyskybri

rmilec rssi

Post by flyskybri »

Hi, i've just fitted the rmilec uhf stuff to my 9x with the er9x firmware
i've got everything working apart from the rssi, i've read the rmilec manual and channel 10 is for rssi out,
when i plug this into my osd i get 100% rssi value even when i turn off my tx, i was using dragonlink before and when doing the same test the rssi value would drop to 0% this was before i changed to er9x.
am i doing something wrong? sorry if this is in the wrong section

Kilrah

Re: rmilec rssi

Post by Kilrah »

This is unrelated to the radio, it's a specific feature of the rmilec. You should look at the documentation of your rmilec system, or ask someone who knows that system.
You might need to insert a circuit between the RSSI output and the OSD depending on what kind of signal the receiver puts out and what your OSD expects.
flyskybri

Post by flyskybri »

thanks for the reply, i've looked at the documentation or manual that's how i found that channel 10 was for rssi.
i was hoping someone on here might know the system, as it's made for the 9x, that's why i asked..
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's not really "made for the 9x", it's just a JR-compatible module, and as such it can go in the 9x ;)
flyskybri

Post by flyskybri »

well think i've got it sorted, i used the signal pin from channel 10 connected to the middle pin on temp 1 on my eagle tree.
seems to be working havn't tested it in flight yet but all seems good. :D
thought i'd post my findings just incase it can help someone..

nanokhalid

Post by nanokhalid »

flyskybri wrote:well think i've got it sorted, i used the signal pin from channel 10 connected to the middle pin on temp 1 on my eagle tree.
seems to be working havn't tested it in flight yet but all seems good. :D
thought i'd post my findings just incase it can help someone..
Flyskybri..
Can you teach me detail how you make it?
Did you connect signal pin directly to 'temp 1' without resistor?
Black and red wire no need to connect?
I'm using Rmilec UHF and Eagle Tree OSD too.
Apprecite your feedback!!

Nanokhalid
flyskybri

Post by flyskybri »

i used the white wire( signal wire) from the rmilec rx connected to the red wire(middle one) of temp 1,
i put a ferrite ring on the wire don't no if it makes any difference but had one lying about ,i didn't use a resistor.
and only used one wire..
you need to change temp 1 on the osd to read rssi..
as i said i havn't flowen with it just tested it by turning the controller off and the value changes from 0 to 99
hopefully get a chance to test over the weekend and i'll report back..
nanokhalid

Post by nanokhalid »

Understood!! Thanks for the feedback.

OK.. I will wait for your test flight...
Hope you will have nice flight on this weekend..
flyskybri

Post by flyskybri »

i took it out yesterday and the rssi seems good, the numbers were jumping around abit when i was close,
but i think that was to do with my friends uhf stuff(range link and immersion) as it settled down as soon i got about 10 meters away, and my friends ezosd's rssi was doing the same.
Didn't get to fly to far as my 2.4ghz video gear was getting massive interference only managed about 200 meters.
So i thought i'd test my fail safe,first time i've tested it with the er9x firmware, so i turned my controller off ,my quad hovered like it was meant to, went up to the correct hight and started to fly back, then i turned my controller back on, (having de-throttled to turn the tx alarms off) to re gain control, nothing just kept on coming, oh yeah that's right i need to click in to manual mode to over ride the RTH, the quad dropped out the sky,managed to put the power on to soften the landing, resulting in one leg and a prop. doh :oops:
anyway going to try again today with my 5.8ghz video gear
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

900mhz if you want fpv range. 5.8 isn't going to come anywhere close to what your rmilec can do. (neither will 2.4ghz)

Lower freq. will penetrate obstacles better too, again, giving you better range.

http://www.digi.com/technology/rf-artic ... comparison

Just an FYI.
flyskybri

Post by flyskybri »

i'm only flying a quad, get about 10min flight times so can't go that far,lol , will be using it on a wing once i get a few more bits..
i'm in the uk and i think 900mhz is what moblie phones use, my mate uses 5.8 on a plane and gets a few miles ;)
flyskybri

Post by flyskybri »

well after a few flights i've noticed the rssi value isn't changing at all,it just stays on 1 and comparing it to a friends rssi his jumps around abit,
so i guess a buffer is needed, i've ordered one so will have to wait and see..
flyskybri

Post by flyskybri »

I got the buffer from dpc and it seems to have done the job, my rssi now starts at the top, 99 and counts down, i've also unscrewed the areial for a second or two(not the best idea but had to know) and the value dropped to mid 70's, i was only a couple of meters away, in flight the lowest i've seen is 96 but havn't been more than 400 meters, once i get my wing in the air i'll be able to push it a bit futher..

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”