how do you deal with this?

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
kaos

how do you deal with this?

Post by kaos »

I was playing with ersky9x sound yesterday. While I was doing it , by accident I hit the model selection and selected the model I set up for servo testing. in there, there is no ch set up from ch1-5. The one I was working on has the regular AETR.. set up. I had a motor (unmounted) connected to the rx so I can check when current is running through.

when I accidentally select the model to servo tester, the motor start jumping all over the place. It is just a bare motor, beside scratching up my desk top no damage was done. All this is done while everything is hot. Tx /rx already linked and being tested on my test model.
I can see how dangerous this can be if it happened on a live plane.
Seems to me there should be some kind of software control when model is switched when everything is 'hot', the throttle won't start when the model is switched.
there is a thread talking about how the motor can start while tx is being turned on/off.
I think this may have some similarity with that.

what do you think? What can be done? (besides 'don't switch model while hot' :mrgreen: )

cre8tiveleo

Re: how do you deal with this?

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Set your throttle cut?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?sbqk2s
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Believe his is already in open9x. Change models as every thing works as if a clean start up of radio. So safety prompts etc kick in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Rob Thomson wrote:Believe his is already in open9x. Change models as every thing works as if a clean start up of radio. So safety prompts etc kick in.

Huh?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1zkeep
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

cre8tiveleo wrote:
Rob Thomson wrote:Believe his is already in open9x. Change models as every thing works as if a clean start up of radio. So safety prompts etc kick in.

Huh?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1zkeep
So if you choose a new model, it will re prompt you and check all throttle, switches etc.. And earn you if any risk. (no rf sent).

Of course... It does not help of you have something completely off like a servo test mix in place that does not use a stick or switch! :)

...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

I'll just enjoy my long island. :)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ps525f
kaos

Post by kaos »

I was fooling around with ersky9x.
yep, there is no mix for throttle whatsoever. just servo test mixes in ch6,7,8.
this is where I think it can be dangerous on a live plane. Everything is connected ready to fly, throttle cut is in place. but trying to adjust something, then accidentally select a different model.
Actually this happened as an accident, I was pushing left 4 buttons fast to switch from screen to screen and scrolling menu for changing parameter for audio to test it. and while pushing the button left and right also hit the up and down at the same time when the set up screen flash over and selected the servo test model. wow, on a quad, it can go any where. because the throttle ch in the test servo model is blank, so it goes to 50% throttle, I believe, then without any ch for servo control, that quad /heli can jump to where ever it wants.
May be certain changes needs to have a 'are you sure!' thing to prevent this from happening.
There are more and more end users who are not 'expert/extremely' knowledgeable flyers. This could be a disaster. For people that appears often in this forum, I can tell are mostly very experienced flyer (except me ;) ), have been flying for yrs and knows about these Tx from inside out down to ms, code line and traces of signal. But a large portion of general user won't be so good. I consider myself a very careful person already, but this still happens.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Mmm.. I thought you said everything was 'kaos' with you? :)

cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Quad wont jump unless the fc is armed. *sip* ahhhh

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mbabh1
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

A simple "Are you sure" "yes" "Cancel" screen would do, when changing models.. We already have that to delete models for example.. I vote for it ;) :D
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kaos

Post by kaos »

Quad wont jump unless the fc is armed. *sip* ahhhh
heli would, and this is after everything is ready go (the imaginary plane/quad) while I am changing audio setting. ;)
Mmm.. I thought you said everything was 'kaos' with you? :)
still is, not changed a bit by using er9x. :mrgreen: may be more. :lol:
jhsa wrote:A simple "Are you sure" "yes" "Cancel" screen would do, when changing models.. We already have that to delete models for example.. I vote for it ;) :D
that deserve a beer. :geek:
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

jhsa wrote:A simple "Are you sure" "yes" "Cancel" screen would do, when changing models.. We already have that to delete models for example.. I vote for it ;) :D
I agree!

Although come to think of it. The whole select process for a new model in open9x is safer. The tight click pops up a menu with 'select copy delete' on it. You then have to explicitly choose the option!

Rob

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

and then a "are you sure" screen? in case you choose the wrong option by mistake? If only like that it would be easy to delete a model by mistake instead of selecting it

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

And yes. It does exactly that :)

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I like it.. Mike, what do you think?

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

But the unexpected errors are those where 'you are sure' and don't take into account, that e.g. your motor is on another channel

If you permanently are asked 'are you sure' you will answer 'yes' automatically.

I do not necessarily support more and more and more safety devices because they seem to give a more safe feeling. But you are and not the radio is responsible for the safety

Reinhard
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

jhsa wrote:I like it.. Mike, what do you think?
Take a look at the simulator option on companion for open9x. You will see exactly this process in place :)

You don't even have to flash your tx to try it!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

ReSt, of course we are responsable for the safety of the models, but for example in case you have something like in open9x, if you choose the wrong option like copy or delete when you wanted to choose select, a confirmation screen is good.. sometimes you click on something and then realise you did a mistake. You then have a chance of undoing it.. I think that is adding safety..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

agreed. :P

But if you know, that there is a possibility to abort, you will rely on it more often.
And you will blame the fw, if there are choices without this possibility.

Reinhard
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

How about a 'Flip coin?' function ... 'Heads - yes Tails - No'... :mrgreen:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think it is a good thing.. improves safety, so, as I said before, I vote for it..

Joao

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

ReSt wrote:If you permanently are asked 'are you sure' you will answer 'yes' automatically.
+1000.

With cases like this of a function you use very often, and the safety would actually save you 1 time out of 100, you quickly learn to dismiss it without second thought. All it would change is I'd know I have to press MENU twice instead of once when I load another model, and the day I selected the wrong one it will be loaded as usual.
I don't know of anyone who will, everytime he loads a new model, wait at the "confirm" screen, check he has selected the right one, and then only confirm. Well scratch that, I probably know some, but those who are that careful will also be careful enough to check they don't have a powered model in the first place when changing model on the radio...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

many times (in er9x) I wanted to select a model and I moved it or copied it.. lucky enough I was asked before if I was sure and had the option to say cancel :D

I believe the "select, copy, move, delete" options in er9x could still be improved.. I do like the open9x approach in this case..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Why are we getting dumber as our radios getting smarter? This seems like a knee jerk reaction to something that can be avoided with proper care. If you have a live model why are you speeding around the menus in the first place? It seems that with the fancier our radios get with more and more "safety" features we are getting to the point of complacency when dealing with live planes.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Crucial wrote:Why are we getting dumber as our radios getting smarter?
We are getting dumber exactly because the radios are getting smarter, and we get used to them doing the work for us and moaning when something's not correct...

It's the same in every field, not just R/C. The more automated features and safety systems, the more you rely on them and don't make the effort of checking yourself anymore.

...which is why I'm against excessive safety measures that make you forget your common sense and forget your basic responsibilities... If you know something can go wrong, you're careful. If you know there's something supposed to prevent it, you get lazy and inattentive. And even if you don't think that way, it finally gets to you anyway.

Then we try to add even more safety features, and enter a vicious circle that never ends, instead of simply fixing the defective user ;)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I agree that we need to accept more responsibility for our safety.
It's always been a rule that the TX is on first and off last. A rx when on will search for a valid tx signal by its very design. If t does find something it thinks is valid it will try and use that to lock on. Very true with FM. As the technology has advanced failsafe was added or hold last valid command. This works "most" of the time. Then the esc's came along and most can detect a valid or not input and not start the motor unless certain settings are valid. As we all know these are a big improvement but not 100% all the time and serious injury happens a lot even with these features.
What it has allowed if for many to become careless in their operation snd get away with it " most of the time".
I personally think that precious code space should not be used up to make up for incorrect operation of our equipment.
It's simple, tx with throttle on off turns on first and shut off last! The rx should never be turned on unless the TX is on first with throttle at off. If this is done the safety features already in place will do their job. If you turn your tx off for any reason the rx must be turned off and then back on to allow the safety features to reconnect and do their job.
Until their's a "safety app" that will it all we should take responsibility for our own safety and use code space for more flying features.

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hey, hey, hey guys.. :) I think there is a misunderstanding here.. When I mentioned the select model menu, I was not thinking about doing it with the model on.That's a no no, and every modeler should know that even before taking off for the first time. I was just speaking about selecting, copying, moving and deleting models.. I do like the open9x approach of doing it, hit a button, options come down, just choose the one you want.. But of course a confirmation menu.. I find the actual way of doing this in er9x a bit confusing.. I always forget what I have to do to copy or move a model.. if we could improve this would be nicer.. Also now we have the rotary encoder, and this would be perfect for it :)

I didn't mean to start a safety discussion :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Or maybe wasn't me?? :roll: :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Irish Steve

Post by Irish Steve »

ShowMaster wrote: If you turn your tx off for any reason the rx must be turned off and then back on to allow the safety features to reconnect and do their job.
ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Sorry, that's the one Negatve, a big one, in among some valid points, and that negative is only because in the event of a loss of signal during flight, it's kind of hard to cycle the RX when it's in the air and possibly about to go into sulk mode because of the absence of the transmitter. At that point, whatever the reason for the transmitter absence of signal, the receiver has to be passive in all of this, and if the transmitter meets the conditions for being allowed to send a valid signal, then the receiver MUST resynchronise with the transmitter, even if the throttly initially resets to low power as the resync activates.

As I understand it, that' s the whole purpose of binding, so that if things get upset, which might not be a loss of transmit signal, that's the time when the receiver recognises that issue, and does whatever it's supposed to do (OK in the flysky scenario that might not be much) until for whatever reason, it once again receives a valid transmission. The important factor here is that is HAS to be automatic, and not require any user intervention to acheive it. If it can't, or extra layers of user interaction are added, we run the risk of negating all that has been acheived by things like 2.4 binding, and the differing frequency agile hopping that has made 2.4 so significantly better for the hobby.

Too many protections and automations run the danger of taking model flying into the same realm as full size flying, there are major concerns that the levels of automation now available in modern aircraft are so complex, they have resulted in the downskilling of the operating crew to possibly dangerous levels, and that is now starting to result in accidents (sometime fatal) that can be directly attiributed to the lack of skill of the crew.

If we get to that stage with model flying, especially with RPV and UAV's becoming much easier to set up and operate, watch the regulators start taking a much stronger interest in regulating the hobby even more, and if that happens, it will have bad consequences, some of the new rules and membership requirements are already limiting the freedoms of flyers. That's the danger of making our radios too idiot proof, the idiots will still find ways of screwing up.
Irish Steve

If it was easy, shure, would't we all be doin it?

_
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

ok, no more safety to our radios.. it seems that everybody agree now.. ;)

Let's remove the throttle warnings, switch warnings, throttle cut, delete model warning, no telemetry and all the advantages that it brings. Who needs voice anyway?.. after all we should take responsability of making sure that we did everything right, and don't make mistakes.. So, we don't need need all these features because they make the hobby more dangerous.. that means that all the work that the programmers kindly do/did to improve our radio's safety and the time they spent on it was unfortunately in vain.. ;) Now, who's the first one to tell them that? Not me.. :mrgreen:

but I was just talking about making the select menu a bit nicer and easier to understand.. maybe I'm talking about something completly different and Am completly out of context

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Irish Steve

Post by Irish Steve »

jhsa wrote:ok, no more safety to our radios.. it seems that everybody agree now.. ;)

No, that's NOT what I am saying at all, the only thing I was taking exception to is the concept of having to power the RX off in the event of the TX being powered off, as that may not be possible if the model is "remote", like possibly flying.

The changes on systems like the 9X we've seen are good, and I for one want to see them continue, but in a way where the user remains in the loop to a sufficient extent that if for ANY reason the automation goes belly up, the user is not left in a position where they don't have a clue what to do, which is effectively what happened to the Air France Airbus over the Atlantic a while back, it stalled, and because the crew had not been adequately trained they never reailsed that the situation they were in was recoverable, and a lot of people died as a result.

My concern is that if we make it too easy, and too automatic, there will be people flying unsuitable models in inappropriate locations and in a manner that risks serious consequences in the event of a failure of any sort, as they won't have the skills and the underlying knowledge to get out of a situation for which they have not done the basic learning.

It's happened in full size aviation, and the skill set required to be demonstrated to a competent instructor and examiner is a whole different ball game to the requirements to fly a model, if I have the money, I can walk into any model shop and buy a model, radio and all the add ons, and go and do with it as I will, regardless of my skill level or understanding of what I am doing, and how I am doing it. That is the area of concern for me, having flown full size and models, and seen the similarity and the differences between the two disciplines, I don't want to see modelling regulated in the same way that full size aviation is regulated, and I see warning signs of a real possibility of that level of restriction happening, given the way that the capability of modern equipment is going.

30 years ago or so, a model Bell 212 helicopter cost close on the cost of the monthly payment on a mortgage, and the radio equipment to then operate is was equally expensive, now, it's very easy to get a 650 size helicopter and radio to operate it for a fraction of the cost. In many respects that's good, but the downside is that there is a significantly increased risk of accidents happening due to the number of people that can now afford to buy that level of equipment, and the same is true for fixed wing models, as well as RPV and UAV. Some of the video's I see of people operating large helicopters make me cringe, in that they seem not to be aware of the real risks of injury if anything goes wrong, and having a large heavy helicopter within a few feet of people, regardless of it they are involved in operating it or not, is a risk that really should not be taken.

In the same way, some of the videos of large fix wing models being operated on car parks and the like makes me wonder about the understanding of the people doing the flying, 45 years ago, a member of a flying club I was also in was seriously hurt when he was hit by a .60 powered sport model, and that was at a club field where the general public did not have random access. When I read in recent days "My landing was baulked by 3 soccer mums driving their SUV's across the car park at the wrong moment" my initial response was considerably less than charitable towards the person that was operating the model.

So, I don't want to stop progress, and I am happy to encourage developments that make modelling safer, but not if it means that people end up flying on mental autopilot, because they don't have to mentally engage with the process. It's probably an urban myth, supposedly Winnebago lost a court case when a new user crashed their mobile home after setting cruise control and leaving the wheel to go and make coffee because he could, and after the inevitable crash, the case was lost because there was nothing in the manual to say he couldn't do it.

I don't want model flying to get to a stage where we can only use certified approved software and after completing a 6 month mandatory flying course that includes how to use the chemical toilet at the flying field before I get my licence to fly, and in Europe, the Health & Safety Lobby have already killed way too many activities by becoming increasingly intrusive in their regulation.

So, if that means we don't say "do you really want to do that" 3 or 4 times before making the change, I don't have an issue with that, if it means that the user has to engage brain before taking the action. I do a lot of computer support, and the presence of a "are you sure" window doesn't prevent some of my users from making fundamental mistakes when doing things that they perhaps don't do very often.

In the same breath, and here I'm only talking about the Stock 9X firmware at the moment, I'm not having a dig at anyone here, as I've only just started getting the upgrade process going, the programmers of some of these things have a lot to learn about making the user interface friendly and intuitive, and the windows experience hasn't helped that any. A classic was a DVD recorder we had a few years ago, where the most regular user item, programming it to record off air, was the last item on the menu box, and the first item on that same menu was the set up screen that was used probably once a year, if that, but of course, it was the first thing the programmer had to do before anything else would work. The end result was that the User interface was effectively a Geek Interface, requiring way too many button presses to get to what the user needed, and totally the wrong way round for the end user. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if it's a crazy keypress sequence, or some other issue, the significant issue is that the programmer, who knows the thing from end to end anyway, has to find a way to make the end product user friendly so that the user that's not working with it every day can make sense of how to do things when they get into the process.

So, hopefully, that makes clear where I'm coming from, and why I've made some of the comments I have, not to prevent change, or stifle innovation, but to hopefully make sure that the changes and innovations are managed in a way that forces the user to stay involved with the activity, and that the user can understand what is happening, and why. Acheiving that objective requires a lot of system analysis, a programmer that understands the requirement, and (often the weakest point) documentation or other support information that provides the user with a clear and structured way to access the information about the product in a way that is both friendly and informative, and at the right level, and that is a very difficult art to master, and if I were to expose my own perferences here, You Tube video's don't hack it.

Hope that makes sense, and hasn't ruffled too many feathers
Irish Steve

If it was easy, shure, would't we all be doin it?

_

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”