OpenTX 2.1 telemetry system preview

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
frater

Re: OpenTX 2.1 telemetry system preview

Post by frater »

How do I get consumption from the 40A current sensor?

rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

frater wrote:How do I get consumption from the 40A current sensor?
I'm guessing, so don't take this as the truth. Not tested yet !

on telemetry screen make anew line.
mahr Calculated Consumption 'Curr Snsor' Curr
Attachments
Capture2.PNG
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

After uploading my models and settings to my PC I notice that the NUMs telemetry screen that I just set up on the radio does not appear in Companion. Is this expected due to WIP or?

I have sensors that have names that I don't understand - 003C, a and 0031. The last two appear with --- next to them. The names that are there have been pre-assigned in the firmware presumably, are any more to be added or is this just up to the user to do locally?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The screen import was fixed yesterday.

About your 2 hex sensors, is that in companion or on the radio? What sensors have you connected?
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

The only device I have connected is an OpenXVario connected to a D4R-II. They appear in Companion and on the radio. In Companion as follows
sensors.jpg
The list above is as it was imported from the radio, no amendments by me.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The OXS is sending some weird stuff then, as far as I can see these IDs don't correspond to anything in FrSky protocols, either D or smart port. Might be worth checking its configuration.
aduncan

Post by aduncan »

I suspect that your config.h file is setup to send data for items you have no sensor for. My sensor list only shows Alt and Vspd.
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

There is data showing on the Tx screen for all the sensors in the above list except for two of the three with IDs mentioned - a and 0031. There is data for 003C. This is as it has always been with this sensor for me. I haven't updated the files in the Arduino in the sensor for, I guess, a couple of years though.
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

Also the "reset telemetry" option in the Tx used to reset the altitude (Alt) to 0. How do I reset this in the new system?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Probably a configuration error or a bug in your oXv version then. It wouldn't have showed up in older OpenTX versions as anything with unknown IDs would just have been ignored.

For Alt you need to select the "Auto Offset" option in the alt sensor settings.
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

Here the list of code foreseen in oXs in Hub protocol.
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_GPS_ALT_B 0x01
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_TEMP1 0x02
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_RPM 0x03
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_FUEL 0x04
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_TEMP2 0x05
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_CELL_VOLT 0x06
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_GPS_ALT_A 0x09
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_BARO_ALT_B 0x10
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_GPS_SPEED_B 0x11
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_GPS_LONG_B 0x12
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_GPS_LAT_B 0x13
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_GPS_CURSE_B 0x14
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_GPS_DM 0x15
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_GPS_YEAR 0x16
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_GPS_HM 0x17
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_GPS_SEC 0x18
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_GPS_SPEED_A 0x19
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_GPS_LONG_A 0x1A
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_GPS_LAT_A 0x1B
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_GPS_CURSE_A 0x1C
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_BARO_ALT_A 0x21
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_GPS_LONG_EW 0x22
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_GPS_LAT_EW 0x23
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_ACC_X 0x24
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_ACC_Y 0x25
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_ACC_Z 0x26
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_CURRENT 0x28
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_VERT_SPEED 0x30 // open9x Vario Mode Only
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_ALT_MIN 0x31 // open9x Vario Mode Only
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_ALT_MAX 0x32 // open9x Vario Mode Only
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_RPM_MAX 0x33 // open9x Vario Mode Only
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_T1_MAX 0x34 // open9x Vario Mode Only
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_T2_MAX 0x35 // open9x Vario Mode Only
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_GPS_SPEED_MAX 0x36 // open9x Vario Mode Only
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_GPS_DIS_MAX 0x37 // open9x Vario Mode Only
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_VFAS_NEW 0x39 // Use this field in order to display the value on VFAS on Tx, Take care that for a voltage, the value must be in 1/10 of Volt and not in mVolt
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_VOLTAGE_B 0x3A // do not use this code to transmit a voltage. It requires a special formatting that is not implemented. Use VFAS_NEW instead
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_VOLTAGE_A 0x3B // do not use this code to transmit a voltage. It requires a special formatting that is not implemented. Use VFAS_NEW instead
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_GPS_DIST 0x3C
#define FRSKY_USERDATA_FUELPERCENT 0x3D

So:
- 3C was a code defined in OpenXvario that probably was "reused" in order to transmit some data having no Frsky ID (like vario sensitivity)
- 06 is used to transmit cell voltage. It can appear several times (max 3X) in a frame sent by oXs. Each time it appears, the data value being transmitted contains 2 X (a cell sequence nr -4bits + the voltage of the cell - 12 bits). This is used to transmit the individual voltage of each lipo cellin a special Frsky format.
- 31 is for Alt min. It does not make sense to send it for taranis (because it is calculated by taranis) but I presume it had sense for other Tx firmware
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

Thanks, that explains what they are. 3C is sensitivity, I adjust it with a pot.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

OK, makes sense then. Except the 06, as it is the "real" D code for Cells if format is correct it should be detected with a normal Cels field. Might be missing in OpenTX for D style, unfortunately I don't have an old FLVS-01 here to test.
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

When I connect a hub with FLVS-01 I see Cels data (total battery voltage). There doesn't appear to be individual cell voltages.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

If you want them you need to extract them with Calculated sensors you create. But if you get Cels with FrSky equipment it seems that confirms D is handled correctly on OpenTX, thanks.
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

@mpjf01,
please could you check if you get the same results on TX, when using a D Rx , with an openXsensor and a FLVS-01+hub.
I mean, do you get the total battery voltage = Cells) when using an openXsensor?
If it is not the case, I would have to change the code in openXsensor (but then I does not yet know what I should change).
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Note he says he uses an oXv firmware that is a couple of years old, could well have been fixed since.
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

I'm using an oXv from the days before it became the expanded oXs, it doesn't have a voltage sensor for the flight pack in it AFAIK.
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

Nomally openxsensor uses the same data ID as the "original" openxvario. So volatages of each cell should in both cases be sent with the code 0x06.
dev01fred

Post by dev01fred »

On RSSI there is a "built in" alarm in telemetry screen (p12/12) with low and critic alarm but the low and critic alarm for A1 or A2 has disappeared (compared to 2.0).
How can I create an alarm on A1 ?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

With the standard logical switch/special function pair that was already used for every other alarm.
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

mstrens wrote:Nomally openxsensor uses the same data ID as the "original" openxvario. So voltages of each cell should in both cases be sent with the code 0x06.
The radio only displays sensors that it detects. OpenTx detects (presumably) one 06 with oXv but there's no data received as I don't have my FLVS-01 connected at the same time as my oXv. So I can't check for you that these are being sent properly.

With a hub and the sensor connected the cell values appear on my DHT-U but they don't appear on the radio when I connect that, only the pack value as Cels. Kilrah has said above that "If you want them you need to extract them with Calculated sensors you create", so the data must be there. Presumably the procedure for doing this has been/will be detailed somewhere.
dev01fred

Post by dev01fred »

@Kilrah
In using the standard logical switch/special function pair and copying a1_org and a1_red from SOUNDS/fr/SYSTEM to ../ I have recreated the lost "built in" A1 alarm. Thanks.
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

When I download the firmware to my Tx I get a DFU-UTIL error at the start that seems to get bypassed and another at the end telling me there's no DFU suffix. Do these matter, the firmware seems to be there OK?

When you are in the telemetry setup screen on the radio there's a flashing * next to the sensors that have been "discovered". What does that * mean?
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

I'm looking for some help please. I was trying to figure out how to calculate the telemetry battery cell values. I attach an eepe.
2.1 test.eepe
(77.03 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
Model 01 was an existing model with several X series sensors including a Smart Port Lipo Voltage Sensor. I tried setting up the 3 calculated cell values (as in the eepe) using Companion. After copying to the radio and connecting, In each case the Cell field values each showed as 3. Then I deleted the settings from the radio for these three items and set them up again, using the radio this time, with the same parameters. The three calculated Cell field values showed correctly, ie the three actual cell values of the battery coinciding with the sensor screen. I copied this file back to Companion and the parameters looked identical to those that I had when it didn't work.

Step 2 was to bind a D series receiver to the same model. This time with Hub sensors including a FLVS-01. The sensors are "discovered" and populated with data, including "Cels" with the battery voltage. This time no data appears in the three sets of calculated Cell fields.

I then rebound to the original X series receiver and I get data showing in the Cells fields for the Smartport sensor and also for the D sensor. The pairs of values are the same (Cel1=C1 and so on).

Model 02 was set up to test D series sensors. In this case the 3 calculated Cell fields show (in my case) 3.77V, 3 and 3. As far as I can tell the three sets of parameters have been set up the same.

I am doing something wrong in guessing my way through this, anybody tell me what it is please?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Companion apparently forgets to configure the sensor as having 2 decimals, while the radio does it as it should.
Step 2 was to bind a D series receiver to the same model. This time with Hub sensors including a FLVS-01. The sensors are "discovered" and populated with data, including "Cels" with the battery voltage. This time no data appears in the three sets of calculated Cell fields.
No because the D sensor will be detected as a different Cell sensor, so you need to change the source for the C1/2/3 fields accordingly. Your model01 has 2 sets of cells (celx/cx) but both are set to use the X sensor as source.
What does that * mean?
It's just a heartbeat, blinks once everytime a new value is received from the sensor.
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

Thanks, that fixed it. I had changed the Cels input thinking that would change the calculation, wrong field.

Does an issue need to be created for Companion or does it need to wait for someone who knows what he's doing to confirm it?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's fixed already.
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

Thanks.
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

Now that 2.1 is released, will Companion 2.1 notify of upgrades to itself and to downloaded firmware versions like with 2.0.x?

Return to “openTx”