Has there been a change with EXPO

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
mpjf01

Has there been a change with EXPO

Post by mpjf01 »

I have been using the EXPO function since the 80s to counteract my inability to move the elevator stick back and forward without moving the rudder inadvertently (mode 1). I use it to put a dead band around the rudder centre position.

After a year or so messing with multirotors I came back to my SBACH last weekend and noticed that I was getting rudder movement with tiny movements side to side when using elevator. So I went to the mixer and upped the EXPO percentage. I had to set it to 100% to get any noticeable dead band around the rudder centre, and even then it was so small as to be useless for the purpose. The rudder on this aircraft moves through probably 150 degrees so even small movements of the stick are noticeable. Changing the EXPO % didn't seem to have any effect except over 95% or so. I tried in the Inputs screen (no effect at all) and in the mixer.

Is there something else I have to do that I have forgotten in the last year to get EXPO to do what I want please?

dvogonen

Re: Sv: Has there been a change with EXPO

Post by dvogonen »

Expo will never give you a completely true deadband. The output might be small when you move the stick, but it will still be there.

A perfect solution for you would be to define a custom curve and use that instead. You will be able to define a true deadband of exactly the width you want and how steeply the signal rises outside of the deadband.
mpjf01

Re: Sv: Has there been a change with EXPO

Post by mpjf01 »

dvogonen wrote:Expo will never give you a completely true deadband. The output might be small when you move the stick, but it will still be there.
I'm not sure why this would be, but regardless, what exactly does setting EXPO in a mix actually do?
Kilrah

Re: Has there been a change with EXPO

Post by Kilrah »

Reduces sensitivity at the center and increases it on the edges. See the graph on the radio.

Envoyé de mon SM-G900F en utilisant Tapatalk
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

Kilrah wrote:Reduces sensitivity at the center and increases it on the edges. See the graph on the radio.

That's what I was expecting. What I wasn't expecting was no difference at all between EXPO set at 90% and EXPO set at 0, and an almost unobservable difference right up to 100%.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

As dvogonen said you're not looking for the right thing... Even 100% expo will not get you any deadband. Expo allows you to keep precise control for small movements close to stick center while keeping the possibility of high max throws at stick ends.

And even if you don't seem to see the difference on the ground I can tell you that even 30% is well noticeable in flight.

Return to “openTx”