Switching TX-Module

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
fireball

Switching TX-Module

Post by fireball »

Hi,

since I've got 2 TX-Modules in my T9X (FrSky and Spektrum internally, and I'm sure I'm not the only one ;) ) I was just asking myself, if it would be possible to switch on/off these TX-Modules in Code depending on the selected Protocol. I'm aware of the fact that we need additional components since the CPU can't handle that all by itself. Do we have enough I/O pins free for 2 or 3 different States (e.g. 2 internal modules and an external one in the module slot)? I'm planning to try some things out with Omron G6Z type HF-Relais... ;) - would Port H be a good idea? Any thoughts?

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Switching TX-Module

Post by Rob Thomson »

This has been a plan of mine - cam be done.

Just need to find time to do the code :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
fireball

Re: Switching TX-Module

Post by fireball »

Great. I'll order the relays next week and will try to do some HF-VooDoo ;)

Unfortunately, these relays are only available for 2 paths. What do you think, shall we try to implement 3-way-hardware? I'm a bit afraid of too much signal loss. The datasheet says about 0.5dB, so with 2 relays (for 3 inputs) we'll get 1dB loss. I don't know how critical this will be.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

1dB isn't that bad. And definitely less bad than what you can lose if you don't design a proper PCB and connections between the modules, relays and antenna...
fireball

Post by fireball »

I propose we should implement 3 internal modules and support the external Module as well, which means we need 2 ports for switching power supply between 4 TX-units and activate 1 of 3 internal HF paths?

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Aren't we asking for trouble?? :o ;)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

>insert slap forehead smilie<
th9xer
9x Developer

Post by th9xer »

I'm no radio HAM but it appears you are prepaired to take a 1db hit (at very best) on your ouput power, that's a reduction factor of 0.79. I just couldn't accept any reduction in range. Why not switch the power to the modules, granted you will have more antennas.

Also if your a UK based person if you have a look in the BMFA guidlines you will see modifications to RF sections are looked upon dimly and will almost certianly invalidate your insurance.

Cam.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Thank you, again, I am glad I waited, some one said it much nicer than I could have... :D

Same with Maac and other governing bodies.
fireball

Post by fireball »

Hmm... and 20% signal loss is really too much... :/
th9xer wrote:Why not switch the power to the modules, granted you will have more antennas.
The multiple Antennas are the point ;) - meanwhile I found some ICs with are very easy to use and have an insertion loss of abou 0.3 dB - which would be acceptable if 2 internal modules would be enough, I think.

And yes cre8tiveleo, you're right. Your comment indeed was absolutely useless.
th9xer
9x Developer

Post by th9xer »

Not wanting to pour more water on the fire and again I'm no expert on the subject so please prove me wrong, but I know most electrical engineers consider microwave design total witchcraft. Everything matters, the shape, size, position and orientation of every component and pcb trace matters. Even the PCB material matters. So unless you have a microwave engineer in your pocket I would give this a wide berth. Tiny differences can cost you big in dB. Even though the switch may state an xdB loss that is an ideal figure and a one you will never acheive even if you are a microwave engineer, and if your not well versed in the intricacies of microwave design it's only going to get worse.

Just live with the antennas or make them modular, I have had good sucess stuffing all sorts of RF gear into Futaba module cases over the last few years. The TH9X set comes with one module that few people seem to use, pull it's guts out and use that, I have another if you want it ? (Only drawback is forgetting to take the right modules to the field with you, but then I once forgot to take my Tx battery with me, it was nice and charged when I got home :) )

Did you know the Gruvin9x V4.1 board and either the Gruvin9x or Open9x firmware will currently allow you to perminatly wire in an FrSky module and a DSM2 one, all you need to do is switch the power between (I just have the DSM2 module in a Futaba case, I even have pics of how I stuffed it in there if you need them, used the original antenna etc. Also shows how I modded the th9x and wired it to the Gruvin9x V4.1 board.)

EDIT: Actually that's another point if you have three Tx modules in your case and you only switch the RF signal you are going to have short battery life. Infact thinking further most modules will fry the RF output transistor if you disconnect the antenna with the module powered up due to the impedance mismatch.

Cam.
Last edited by th9xer on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I do believe it is not a good idea switching the 2.4Ghz signal, not when we use it to fly models. and I'm not talking about the little ones.. this is not a internet router where it doesn't really matter if there is a problem and something fail..

When I took my flight licence my instructor gave me some advice to allways use the complete runway even if you could take off safely from the middle of it.. That could be difference between a successefull aborted takeoff in case of an emergency, or a big mess at the end of the field..

It's the same with those 0.3db.. It could be the difference between you having a nice day at the field, or spending the rest of the day trying to find your model..

Just my 2c

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I have 3 FrSky RF modules, a DHT, a DJT and a DHT-U. I measured their power output, which is respectively 13dBm, 15dBm and about 18dBm. So compared with such a sample variation, with 5dB difference between one and the other, 0.3dB is negligible, and 1dB is nothing much to worry about either.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

:D it won't be there when you need it.. :D
I could consider switching the power to the modules, but not the antenna..

I won't do it.. but we're all grown up.. No, wait a minute, I'm not :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Me either - I like my simple module replacing! Only one antenna on there at a time, and no complexities inside :P
th9xer
9x Developer

Post by th9xer »

You do know dB and dBm are different, dB is dimensionless, and dBm is referenced to mW. So your 18dBm module is about 1.4dB up on your 13dBm module, not 5dB. Does your dBm meter have a calib cert or is it of Chinese origin like the modules it's measuring ? You know about reflections, interference patterns, and anechoic chambers for producing repeatable RF measurments ?

All this tech aside the switch losses are the very least of your worries, design any of it wrong and you could lose all your 18dBm in one go.

Again I am absolutely no expert on the subject, but I know enough to know I don't know and it should be left to those that do. (No patronization intended just honest concern)

Also tweeking any of the antenna arrangement will also loose CE approval, that's if it matters in your locale.

Modular is the way to go for us guys.
Last edited by th9xer on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I would probably install 2 modules.. frsky (that's what I use. DJT) and maybe the DSM to fly some BNF stuff. I did try the little Blade MCPX the other day and quite enjoyed it..
frsky antenna on the module and dsm on top. switch power to the modules (could be done by software and a reliable circuit) but that's about it.. And I'm still not convinced..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
fireball

Post by fireball »

Ok, let's put away the RF part for the moment.

What would be the best way for switching of supply voltage? I still assume that using 2 Bits to control up to 4 modules should be the best way? The Modules can't be switched directly by the CPU, so an external circuit is needed anyway.

@Rob, since you are the dev - what are your thoughts about that? ;)
th9xer
9x Developer

Post by th9xer »

Your old mate the relay would be fine for switching the supply voltages, even a P-FET and an NPN transistor as currently drives the LED back light would be fine (take or leave the fuse).
Attachments
p-fet_switch.jpg
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Switching TX-Module

Post by Rob Thomson »

I had been thinking either a two transistor switch... It a relay driven by a single input to switch.

I have even wired a lead to the pin on my CPU - just not got round to testing and coding :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

With 2 circuits using FETs and different transistors, or 1 circuit using a relay, you
could switch between 2 modules using only one pin of the MCU

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
fireball

Post by fireball »

The question is how many modules shall be supported. 2 Modules of course is simple. Up to 4 modules is simple as well, but we have to decide if we'd like to support that, since it needs an additional IO line. Personally, I'd prefer to have DSM2 and FrSky internally and the possibility of using an external module as well.
th9xer
9x Developer

Post by th9xer »

I know things have moved on but..... I have been doing a bit more research and the correct way to handle dBm to dB mathematics is straight out addition or subtraction. So 18dBm - 5dB = 13dBm, my apologies Kilrah. As I said I'm not an expert, and from the fact no one pulled me on this I'm guessing no one else is, which was kind of my overriding point, this is best left to the experts.

While I don't think the idea of switching antenna feeds is as impossible as I first did, I still think it's not something to be attempted lightly. The potential for big dB loss is very possible, and the problem of insurance and invalidating various approvals still remains.

As for the 5dB difference between modules. 18dBm = 63mW, 13dBm = 20mW. Rough rule is, all else being equal four times the power gets you double the range. For what this means with respect to Kilrah readings see this interesting page I found:

http://www.fpvhobby.com/fpv12.htm

Using the default numbers, (which serve only for illustration as there are many variables involved) 18dBm gets 2.38Km and 13dBm gets 1.32Km. That's a good old difference. (1dB seems to cost you around 260 meters)

I also wonder if the power meter is of the type you just hold near the object being tested do you have to tell it about antenna gain ? Never owned one you see.
fireball

Post by fireball »

I started some schematics and routing around for the power switch circuit yesterday evening. I'm trying to create a board which replaces the current module backplane. What do you think, should we make the signal line switchable too? Just in case...
th9xer
9x Developer

Post by th9xer »

Maybe three buffers, one common source. Three transistors would do, just an idea.
fireball

Post by fireball »

SInce I'm using an 74139, the second demux is available... ;)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

th9xer wrote:I know things have moved on but..... I have been doing a bit more research and the correct way to handle dBm to dB mathematics is straight out addition or subtraction. So 18dBm - 5dB = 13dBm, my apologies Kilrah
Hmm, had forgotten about this thread, didn't even see your answer... but yes, dBs are logarithmic whether referenced or not. A value in dBm represents a power, referenced to 0dBm = 1mW. Then if you want to express a difference (gain) on top of that, you add a number of dB (dimensionless, just like any ratio of the same units).
th9xer wrote:The potential for big dB loss is very possible
Yep, it is. But as I said they the risk is more into the interconnection of the modules and switchers, with the connectors and how the switches are mounted. My point was that if you want to do things correctly you have to design a proper RF-spec PCB with constant impedance traces etc, which is probably out of the scope of most on here. Me included, in this field I know what's required but have no idea how to actually make it ;)
th9xer wrote:As for the 5dB difference between modules. 18dBm = 63mW, 13dBm = 20mW. Rough rule is, all else being equal four times the power gets you double the range.
Yup. Which is why I'm a tad deceived by one of my modules giving me about half the range of the other in theory. The module I use with my 9X is the "middle" 15dBm one.
th9xer wrote:Using the default numbers, (which serve only for illustration as there are many variables involved) 18dBm gets 2.38Km and 13dBm gets 1.32Km. That's a good old difference.
With the default values those distances indeed don't mean much - however as adding 3dB means multiplying power by 2, and like you said doubling range requires multiplying power by 4, the 5dB difference between my best and worse modules equals pretty much a factor of 2.
th9xer wrote:(1dB seems to cost you around 260 meters)
This you can't say, because it depends "where that dB is". Let's say you have a 0dBm (1mW) transmitter and its receiver, and you can get 100m range with that. If you add 6dB you double range, and thus add 100m. Hovever say you have the same system but a 30dBm TX, leading you to a range of 3.2km, and add 6dB, those 6dB get you another 3.2km. Those 6dBs will also have cost 3 extra watts to reach, as opposed to the 3mW they represented in the first case - log calculations are fun.
th9xer wrote:I also wonder if the power meter is of the type you just hold near the object being tested do you have to tell it about antenna gain ?
I use an HP8593A spectrum analyser, and measure raw output (feeding the TX's output right into the SA). So antenna gain isn't included.
FrSky specify their TX modules at 60mW, they don't state whether this includes antenna gain or not. However, as they have a removeable antenna, the specified power would normally not include it. And 60mW (~18dBm) + 2dB gain from the antenna would equal the 20dBm legal TX power limit for spread spectrum devices in the 2.4GHz band in most of the world, so it would make sense.

Actually, I have more FrSky RXs than TX modules - but as the "receivers" are also transmitters (telemetry...), it would be interesting to measure those as well to see if the variation is similar...
th9xer
9x Developer

Post by th9xer »

th9xer wrote:(1dB seems to cost you around 260 meters)
Kilrah wrote:This you can't say, because it depends "where that dB is".
Yes, your dead right. I should have worded that much better. 1dB off 18dB costs 260 meters (ish). But again other variables like receiver sensitivity could alter this a lot.
Kilrah wrote: I use an HP8593A spectrum analyser, and measure raw output (feeding the TX's output right into the SA). So antenna gain isn't included..........
Very interesting, thanks for the detail. It does make that 13dBm module a bit of a worry then ! I doubt the HP gear will be far off the mark.
Kilrah wrote:Actually, I have more FrSky RXs than TX modules - but as the "receivers" are also transmitters (telemetry...), it would be interesting to measure those as well to see if the variation is similar...
Sometimes ignorance is bliss, which is all us people lacking the equipment to measure it can be in. Definitely a subject for further investigation, but that's for another thread, things are starting to diverge, sorry fireball. I do wonder why it's down on output though.

Cam.
fireball

Post by fireball »

th9xer wrote:things are starting to diverge, sorry fireball. I do wonder why it's down on output though.
No problem, those things are of high interest. Since a friend of mine has the needed measuring equipment for RF circuits (and the needed knowledge), the idea of switching antennas is not completely out of my mind yet ;)

Return to “openTx”