Bugs in Open9x?

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
Kilrah

Bugs in Open9x?

Post by Kilrah »

After spending a day on ER9X, I decided to switch to Open9X to compare features... it seems I like some of Open9X features more! The freely assignable DRs are cool, the home screen is less cluttered (ER9X FrSky version has soooo many screens), FrSky telemetry directly accessible by long down press, not by switching many screens in flight...

I haven't found a location to report bugs, so here we are, even if there's not much so far...

- On r288, FrSky telemetry does not return to "NO DATA" if connection is lost. If I turn on the radio without an RX powered on it will indeed display "NO DATA", but once the RX has been on and the radio has received some packets there is no timeout, and even if the RX is powered off again the telemetry display will stay on the last received value, which can be misleading.

bertrand35
9x Developer

Re: Bugs in Open9x?

Post by bertrand35 »

Thanks for your message!

What you have found is not a bug, but something wanted. Especially by those who use the FrSky Hub because it reports the last known GPS position and distance. But you give me the idea of displaying the NO DATA message on the other not needed screens where info (like RSSI or A1/A2 is obviously wrong, since not refreshed)

You may open an issue here: http://code.google.com/p/open9x/issues/list
It will not be neither the first one, nor the last, don't worry!

Bertrand.
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

Indeed it's not a bug, it's a feature...
If my glider crash, I would to know it's last known coordinates....
Also for others operating parameters like battery and so on...
For sure we can highlight someway that these are not actual data (as no data is received) but having a black box of the last known operating conditions it's not bad at all...
Maybe we can put a NO DATA in the last line instead of RSSI....
Last edited by Romolo on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Romolo wrote:Maybe we can put a NO DATA in the last line instead of RSSI....
That sounds good!

Yes having the last values displayed is a good idea indeed, however there needs to be something obvious that shows when there's no incoming data. Using the RSSI fields makes sense as they ought to be 0 anyway.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Here are the screens you will find:

1) The bars with the NO DATA info in the status line
snapshot_03.png
snapshot_03.png (1.08 KiB) Viewed 13584 times
2) A1/A2 + cells also with this NO DATA
snapshot_04.png
snapshot_04.png (1.32 KiB) Viewed 13584 times
3) The GPS position of the plane + the distance from the pilot to the plane: date and time of the last GPS information received
snapshot_05.png
snapshot_05.png (1.52 KiB) Viewed 13584 times
I will commit in a few minutes. Some tests still needed ...
Thanks for the idea,
Bertrand.

shaddi

Post by shaddi »

You could add a blinking star in the top bar, just like in the gv9x-version?
(heartbeat (a little star blinking on screen) )
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Very nice!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

bertrand35 wrote: 3) The GPS position of the plane + the distance from the pilot to the plane: date and time of the last GPS information received
snapshot_05.png
Hmm, just wired my GPS and had a look, is it normal that the date/time only updates once every 5 secs? EDIT: Yes, just saw on the Sensor hub Protocol that time&date are only sent once every 5 seconds.

As it also shows UTC, and there's no clock on the radio to compare to, would it not be better to also have a NO DATA on this screen, for example on the date field (so that time can still be seen if needed post-crash, but date isn't really necessary - normally you'd know it crashed on the same day :D )?
Also, what about the speed display in kt, is the unit selectable? Relative altitude (zeroed with home position)?
Is it possible to disable the "Bars" telemetry screen automatically if no bars are configured?
I know I'm annoying... :D
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Relative altitude is already there! Press [MENU] in this screen will reset Telemetry Data. Exactly as [MENU] resets the Stats Data in STATS screen.

In the next version you will find:
- the Bars screen skipped if no Bar configured
- when no data received, the text on the last line will be blinking (therefore in all telemetry screens)
- the date removed - because of the next line ;)
- the timezone handled
- the units (Metric / Knots for speed and Metric / Imperial for others (I can't promise, this one is not done right now)

Bertrand.

PS: Interesting ideas never annoy me :)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Cool!
bertrand35 wrote:Relative altitude is already there! Press [MENU] in this screen will reset Telemetry Data.
Hmm on the main Hub screen yes, pressing MENU resets the baro altitude... however on the GPS screen, MENU resets home position/distance/max speed, but does not zero the GPS altitude from what I can see.

A "Max Distance" and maybe max alt could be useful as well!

Other tiny bug with r332 : In the telemetry screen, the "-" for negative values in large font has a stray pixel on the upper left.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

The bug you have seen will be solved in the next version. Also the "-" will not be over the ":".
See here
snapshot_01.png
snapshot_01.png (1.35 KiB) Viewed 13444 times
Bertrand.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

All other suggestions make sense to me, the only problem is the space on screen...
Perhaps the speed with normal size. Or even put all the Max values in another screen
Bertrand.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Maybe the current GPS screen with the 4 GPS parameters that are provided by the Hub and are useful in flight, in big writing: Speed, Alt, Distance, Course.
Then a second screen with lat/lon and speed/alt/distance max values that would typically be looked at after landing (or crashing?). I don't think there are many people in this world who manage to look at lat/lon values in flight and instantly compute "oh, there I am"... LOL

AFAIK the A1/A2 screen has nothing in the lower part, right? What about RSSI minimums?
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Ok I will give it a try. Sounds good.
The lower part of the A1/A2 screen is used for LIPO cells voltage.
RSSI min is kept in memory but actually is not displayed anywhere. I thought about adding it in the STATS screen, but perhaps we could find some spare pixels somewhere else on screen.
Bertrand.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

bertrand35 wrote:The lower part of the A1/A2 screen is used for LIPO cells voltage.
Oh great. I don't have the sensor yet, but want to try and get hold of one.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

So that's normal that you don't see anything there. You will see as many values as cells connected to the sensor.
Bertrand.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

About the Course, why did you ask for big writing?
I would see it together with Longitude and Latitude. Or even not displayed at all...
Bertrand.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Because if we do 2 separate screens, there's enough space to put 4 parameters in big writing on the "inflight" one so that they are easy to read, and alt/speed/distance leave space for a 4th one... Course is not absolutely required, but might be useful for FPV. Even better would be a kind of home arrow. Speed, altitude, distance and direction to home, along with the electric values would pretty much entirely replace an OSD...

Course with lat/lon wouldn't make much sense, as that's something that is only valid during flight.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

You will find in the today's release some changes that you asked for. Screenshots later...
I am still not convinced by this Course field. I have put it with Longitude and Latitude as it's the only screen where it does remains some space left.
Bertrand.

Return to “openTx”