[MAVLINK] Input needed for MAVLINK ArduPlane / ArduCopter.

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
pienk

[MAVLINK] Input needed for MAVLINK ArduPlane / ArduCopter.

Post by pienk »

I am currently working on the mavlink plugin for opentx.
The current status is that it can decode mavlink messages and I have some basic screens up and running.
At the moment the telemetry is for ArduPlane / Copter only. This will be my main focus for the moment, and in the future I'll look at parsers for different autopilots that use mavlink.
An other thing that is not implemented yet is the setting of parameters. This will also be a future development.
To get the extension to the next level I need the input of this forum.
The screens I have now are attached to this post.
With your input I'll post some mock-up screens as this tread progresses.

I am also working with Bertrand on getting this mod in Companion9x so everyone can use it.
Attachments
Mavlink screen 5
Mavlink screen 5
snapshot_05.png (1.24 KiB) Viewed 30056 times
Mavlink screen 4
Mavlink screen 4
snapshot_04.png (1.22 KiB) Viewed 30056 times
Mavlink screen 3
Mavlink screen 3
snapshot_03.png (1.48 KiB) Viewed 30056 times
Mavlink screen 2
Mavlink screen 2
snapshot_02.png (1.39 KiB) Viewed 30056 times
Mavlink screen 1
Mavlink screen 1
snapshot_01.png (1.27 KiB) Viewed 30056 times

pienk

Re: [MAVLINK] Input needed for MAVLINK ArduPlane / ArduCopte

Post by pienk »

[Reserved for future updates]
ioan

Post by ioan »

How are you getting the MAVLINK messages from the plane/copter to the transmitter?
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

I think I would like to see here the custom telemetry screen that we have on FrSky extension. Also I would like that the Tx tells me when the ardupilot is armed / disarmed!
avrgandy

Post by avrgandy »

ioan wrote:How are you getting the MAVLINK messages from the plane/copter to the transmitter?
Via OpenLRS, or similar. See this thread/post:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=32

avrgandy

Post by avrgandy »

The existing message coverage is quite good, I especially like the descriptive startup status messages during APM bootup.

Most important "flight" data from my perspective (plane) include:
- Battery V, A, % --> just tested, these are not updating correctly.
- speed, distance from home and altitude (and vario audio/display if possible)
- roll/pitch/yaw and heading/bearing (R/P/Y via a simple graphic would be awesome)
- GPS info
- Rx RSSI (RC)

Most important "control" status messages:
- Mode / armed status --> just tested: displayed mode changes but displaying wrong modes. Armed status fine.
- if in "auto" mode, show next waypoint index/bearing/dist
- link status (the heartbeat "*/A" is great. users may not know what these are indicating)
- MAVLINK Rx/Tx RSSI and packet loss info (for me, using OpenLRSng for both RC and MAVLink, this will be the same as Rx RSSI)

So a screen (and sub-screens if not enough space) for
A) "flight" status, and
B) "control" status
would be neat.
Last edited by avrgandy on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
avrgandy

Post by avrgandy »

bertrand35 wrote:I think I would like to see here the custom telemetry screen that we have on FrSky extension. Also I would like that the Tx tells me when the ardupilot is armed / disarmed!
I agree, It would be great to be able to customize 1 or 2 MAVLink telemetry screens somewhat. But some "default" screens such as "control status: mode/status/link" and a "vehicle status: heading/roll/pitch/yaw/speed/alt/dist/battery" screen might reduce the burdon of the user configuring everything. perhaps let them have a screen or two tho?
avrgandy

Post by avrgandy »

Hi pienk,
Just now I tried the latest version of OpenTX (17/August/2013), and compiled using EXT=MAVLINK (I notice it has not yet been separated into MAV_PLANE and MAV_COPTER so I didn't expect things like plane modes and datas to be displayed differently, as confirmed/reported below). I see you added the NAV screen, which works well, displaying correct realtime data for me.

However, I still see the wrong current modes on the "MODE" screen: when my arduplane is in manual mode, it incorrectly displays "stabilize"; when I switch to stabilize, it incorrectly displays "Alt Hold"; when I switch to circle, it incorrectly displays "Acro"; when I switch to auto, it incorrectly displays "OF Loiter"; and when I switch to RTL, it incorrectly displays "Toy A".

I also only ever see "0.0v" and "0.0A" and "255%" on the "BAT RSSI" screen. Also PC RSSI is always "0%", and RC RSSI maxes at "52%" when it is actually 100%.

The "GPS" screen mostly works, except "SAT" and "V" are always "0", and HDOP is always "1.00".

So it's almost there, and the NAV screen you added works fine. It looks like it is still using mavcopter defs, not compatible with my mavplane. right?

Cheers,
Andrew
Last edited by avrgandy on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
avrgandy

Post by avrgandy »

Also, I have a quick question... Is OpenTX sending any commands/requests/instructions? My arduplane APM seems to startup much slower when I use the MAVLink OpenTX compilation... and in the process my 9XR displays "initialising..." a few times, then "calibrating baro", "calibrating accel" ...etc etc, each separated by a 9XR beep... Are these instructed actions requested by the OpenTX firmware, or just status messages sent by the APM? I would imagine (and prefer) that OpenTX is not commanding/sending anything via MAVLink, rather just decoding/displaying received status and data messages. If other instructions are sent, we need to have a checkbox to be able to disable such instruction sending, as it conflicts with instructions sent by my PC, which is also plugged into my radio Tx module and sending (possibly conflicting) commands.
pienk

Post by pienk »

Hi Andrew,
Tanks for the comments.
I'll try to upload my APM with the arduplane code this weekend and check the mode decoding and batery.
I'll also try to get the baudrate setting working from the companion software.

Rienk
pienk

Post by pienk »

I just updated the code, now it detects the difference between arducopter and plane. Mode display should be correct now.
I have not tested with arduplane because I can not get new firmware on my APM at the moment.
I'll also look into the differences between arducopter and plane where it sends the battery and rssi information. This should be standard mavlink but apparently it does not work correctly with arduplane.

Rienk
avrgandy

Post by avrgandy »

Rienk,
I can confirm the modes are now correct! Very cool to be able to look at the screen to know what mode is selected, rather than try to remember based on the position of switches :)

It still takes a long time to boot the APM when OpenTX uses MAVLink - During bootup the screen gives very useful info, like "initialising APM", "calibrating baro", "calibrating acel" ... "initialized, armed". Nice, but I still don't know if OpenTX is SENDING any MAVLink commands. is it? I'm suspicious due to the longer time it takes APM to boot when Radio uses OpenTX with EXT=MAVLink firmware. If so, we need to add a checkbox in the radio config screen (long press left section) to disable MAVLink command sending (as it can potentially conflict with PC sent commands). If is is not actually sending MAVLink commands, then I don't understand why APM takes twice as long to bootup - maybe I'm just being impatient hehe.

Also, in the radio settings screen (long press left section), could you add the BAUD rate selector? Current method to modify serial.cpp and re-upload firmware with it statically set is ... impractical ;)

EDIT: I guess these suggested options (MAVLink BAUD, MAVLink send enable) could also go on setup screen 2/10, or an 11th MAVLink setup screen (long press right section).

Again - so good to see correct APM mode on the 9XR screen :) :) :)
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Very nice.
avrgandy

Post by avrgandy »

For those interested,
See this link for pics of MAVLink mode display (and 9XR mode setup procedure for those interested):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=46
See this post in the same thread for *current* setup steps:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=32
I'd recommend a quick read of the whole thread though:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1913501

Cheers,
Andrew
pienk

Post by pienk »

Andrew,
I looked at the code and there are some parts of the original code that could be sending messages to the APM. This was some code that was used for reading parameters. I'll remove the code and check it in in the coming week.
I also looked at the PC RSSI issue. This is the RSSI from the telemetry link, and it gets inserted into the Mavlink stream by the 3DR radio modules. So if you have the telemetry form your 9XR connected directly to the APM those messages are only sent to the PC. In my situation it works because I get the telemetry data via bluetooth from the PC. The maximum of 52% could be correct for the RC RSSI it has to do with the way the APM measures the RSSI signal from the receiver. The analog input used for this signal a range from 0V to 5V. In my case the rssi output of my frsky receiver is 3.3V and it is a pwm signal, so after some rc filtering the maximum is 63% for me. How did you connect your RSSI signal?
As far as the battery goes the code for arduplane and arducopter is the same. Do you have a battery monitor hooked up? What are the values that if you look at them in the mission planner?

Rienk
avrgandy

Post by avrgandy »

Hi Rienk, thanks for responses.

Regarding RC RSSI, I changed aerials and now get a max of 62% - this is inline with your result, and 3v3 max RSSI from my Rx. All good :)

Regarding PC RSSI, a few weeks ago I was chatting with the OpenLRSng developer about inserting the PC RSSI value into the MAVLink. Currently, OpenLRSng is only serial pass-thru, with no MAV customisation, and certainly no PC RSSI MAVLink injection yet. So that explains that also. All good :)

Regarding command sending - thanks for removing that (as default). That may help improve my bandwidth, and prevent unwanted APM startup re-calibrations. Of course, a configurable 9XR menu checkbox to disable/enable sending such commands would be useful in future for those that wish to send commands via OpenTX instead of having their connected PC send them. It's at least good to know that my 9XR is sending these MAVLink commands correctly via OpenTX, and APM is responding correctly, even if I don't want it to at the moment. Thanks for removing command sending this week, I'll test it as soon as you share it :)

Regarding Battery readings - I use the standard power monitor supplied with the APM 2.5. I now believe the problem is related to using mission planner with the low bandwidth of openlrs. If I set the power module settings via USB (A12,A13), then disconnect USB and start up the link and mission planner using openlrs, battery data displays fine on 9XR and in mission planner. But if I go to view the battery settings panel in mission planner, it doesnt read the APM params correctly, and then doesn't write them back correctly, causing the 0.0's until next fixed via USB. So I believe you are right, that the OpenTX MAVLink code is fine. I'll check this hypothesis further. All good for now :)

Cheers,
Andrew
pienk

Post by pienk »

I just uploaded a new version of the mavlink extension.
It has a setup menu to set the baudrate. You can access this menu via the menu button when you are in the mavlink screens. Baudrate setting via companion is not working yet.
I also added the altitude in the navigation menu.

Rienk
avrgandy

Post by avrgandy »

Rienk,
It works beautifully. Also boots faster, so seems you removed the default command sending as requested.

Given that MAVLink Baudrate can be set nicely on the radio, I doubt if Companion9X needs that option. There is no real point in setting it via Companion9X - even FrSky telemetry users don't need to change it, as it worky for them at a statically set 9600.

The only thing that the Companion9X developers need to do now is add the compile/download backend (they already added the GUI checkboxes, but it doesn't actually work yet.

Great work on the OpenTX side though!! Rather than having a general EXT=MAVLINK, will you now make custom screens dependent on EXT=MAVPLANE vs EXT=MAVCOPTER?

Cheers
Andrew
avrgandy

Post by avrgandy »

Hi Rienk,
Regarding RC_RSSI, can you add a multiplier config parameter in the new MAVLink menu to scale 3v3 to 5v RSSI when necessary (*5/3.3)?
Cheers
Andrew
pienk

Post by pienk »

Andrew,
I was also thinking about something like that. I'll look at this and see if I can find a place in the eeprom for this setting.

Rienk
pienk

Post by pienk »

Finaly got arround to working on the code :)
I moved all display strings to the translations files.
Added a scaling factor to the RX RSSI value so you can adjust this to the real live maximum value.
Moved the settings to the model memory and moved the settings to the model setup screen.
Ozzy

Post by Ozzy »

Are you guys familiar with this thread? It uses a $2.50 Atmega 328 board, it seems pretty simple with FrSky equipment. Any comments on this approach?

convert Mavlink (APM & MPNG) to Frsky
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1939
pienk

Post by pienk »

Ozzy wrote:Are you guys familiar with this thread? It uses a $2.50 Atmega 328 board, it seems pretty simple with FrSky equipment. Any comments on this approach?
I have seen the topic yes.
I think it is a good solution for those who fly planes or copters but don't have a apm or mpng on all planes. Then you don't have to switch firmware between flying one model or the other.
For me I only have my quad so I alwaye have the same telemetry setup. And with the mavlink extension I can access more date like flight mode, status text and differnt kinds of navigational info. And in the future parameter setting funtionality.

I saw in you other topic "Re: Is Mavlink data supported?" that you are using the Taranis. At the momment only the stock 9x is supported becouse this was the only hardware I had. But last week I got my Taranis. This does not mean I'm going to start porting straigt away. First I want to finish the current mavlink extension. But after that it will definately be ported to the taranis.
Keep watching this topic for updates.

Rienk
cxlabs

Post by cxlabs »

Hi pienk, thank you for your job :)
I have a bixler2 with APM2.5, minimOSD and a 9x with opentx and mavlink plug-in
Radio modules are openlrsng based and can transmit @ 9600 bps

I had to modify ArduPlane 2.75 since it has a strange behaviour on serial ports.
Substantially it uses serial3 port speed to reprogram serial1 speed when USB is disconnected.

My problem was that minimosd is connected on serial1 (shared with USB when you use MissionPlanner)
and minimosd must run @ 57600 BAUD.
I need serial3 9600 b/s port for telemetry on my 9x so i modified ArduPlane APM_Config.h

#define SERIAL0_OSD_BAUD 57600

and system.ino in line 513

//hal.uartA->begin(map_baudrate(g.serial3_baud, SERIAL3_BAUD));
hal.uartA->begin(SERIAL0_OSD_BAUD);

It seems to work :-)

What do you think ?
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

pienk wrote:
Ozzy wrote:Are you guys familiar with this thread? It uses a $2.50 Atmega 328 board, it seems pretty simple with FrSky equipment. Any comments on this approach?
I have seen the topic yes.
I think it is a good solution for those who fly planes or copters but don't have a apm or mpng on all planes. Then you don't have to switch firmware between flying one model or the other.
For me I only have my quad so I alwaye have the same telemetry setup. And with the mavlink extension I can access more date like flight mode, status text and differnt kinds of navigational info. And in the future parameter setting funtionality.

I saw in you other topic "Re: Is Mavlink data supported?" that you are using the Taranis. At the momment only the stock 9x is supported becouse this was the only hardware I had. But last week I got my Taranis. This does not mean I'm going to start porting straigt away. First I want to finish the current mavlink extension. But after that it will definately be ported to the taranis.
Keep watching this topic for updates.

Rienk
Hi Rienk, I currently use the OpenTx Firmware with my APM2.5/6+ and I feel I am getting the most of it. I even have the Radio speaking when the APM is armed and disarmed via the RPM value being greater than 500.

The following values are brought thru via the IOBoard…
Accel - X, Y, Z = Accelerometer values, -+ values
Temperature 1 = Flight controller internal temperature, Celsius
Temperature 2 = Visible satellite count and GPS Fix style, 2-3 digits where LAST digit is fix status 0-1 No fix, 2 2D Fix, 3 3D Fix. FRONT digits are amount of satellites. For example "63" = 6 satellites, 3D FIx or "103" is 10 satellites, 3D fix or "32" = 3 satellites, 2D fix
Heading = Your current compass heading
RPM = Armed/Disarmed status and approximate throttle value when armed. 0 = Disarmed/Motors off, Values between 1020 - 1960 are shown when motors are armed and throttle position. Number represents pulse width so for example around 1500 is middle throttle. This value is NOT exactly same what Mission Planner might show for your throttle channel as we need to use special scaling made by FrSky but it's close to it. Accuracy is -+30 uS.
Altitude = Altitude detected by your flight controller (works on tabletop tests, not confirmed on real flight yet. Anyone??)
Lat/Lon = GPS Latitude/Longitude details with N/S, W/E indicators
Time = Sec/Min/Hours since last reboot of IOBoard

Things that needs to be fixed/confirmed are:
Voltage = Battery voltage. It seems to work but startis drifting after awhile.
Current = It's seen by IOBoard but not forwarded correctly
Fuel Level = Seen by IOBoard but not confirmed yet
Speed = Seen by IOBoard but not confirmed yet

I have tried the Mavlink Firware but I guess I need to understand what the pros/cons are…. I guess, I might have gone about this wrongly… as I was knowing that I would have OSD when I ever get my FPV going… but in the meantime I was using the Display with Voice feedback. I have FAS-100 in one copter and AttoPilot in the other and they do give me the FrSky values for Voltage and Amps that get chimed out via MegaSound9x. If the Mavlink Firmware options alleviates the need for IOBaord and External voltage sensors.. then that is a plus.. I just thought that was the only way….

Am I wrong?
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
frikzy

Post by frikzy »

Hi pienk,

I loaded latest OpenTX with MAVLINK support via Companion9x. My radio is Turnigy 9x with telemetry mod hooked to 3DR clone 433MHz radio for telemetry. Unfortunately I can't get any telemetry when I go to mavlink screens in 9x. At what baudrate telemetry works and how can I set it. When I press MENU in any MAVLINK screen I can't get possibility to change baudrate. Does your mavlink telemetry work with standard 57600 baud rate. Thank you for your work to bring mavlink telemetry to 9x radios.

Cheers,
Bruno
pienk

Post by pienk »

frikzy wrote:Hi pienk,

I loaded latest OpenTX with MAVLINK support via Companion9x. My radio is Turnigy 9x with telemetry mod hooked to 3DR clone 433MHz radio for telemetry. Unfortunately I can't get any telemetry when I go to mavlink screens in 9x. At what baudrate telemetry works and how can I set it. When I press MENU in any MAVLINK screen I can't get possibility to change baudrate. Does your mavlink telemetry work with standard 57600 baud rate. Thank you for your work to bring mavlink telemetry to 9x radios.

Cheers,
Bruno
Hi Bruno,
In the latesed version of Open TX the baudrate has been moved to the Radio setup menu. Allmost at the botom is the baudrate setting. Also in the model menu is the posibility to callibrate the RC RSSI scale.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

:|
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
frikzy

Post by frikzy »

Hi pienk,
thank you for quick reply. In the meantime I have found baudrate setting in Radio setup menu. It was set to 4800 baud. I changed it to 57600 and now it works. :D I got populated almost everything except battery voltage and current, because I still don't have APM power module. My RC RSSI is 0 and I don't know why. But it's excellent for the biggining. It would bi nice to have Groundspeed (GS) and Airspeed (AS) in telemetry screens. I use my 3DR 433 MHz radio (ground model with USB) with my tablet (DroidPlanner or Andropilot) too, so I have telemetry on both tablet and 9x radio at the same time.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

frikzy wrote:Hi pienk,
thank you for quick reply. In the meantime I have found baudrate setting in Radio setup menu. It was set to 4800 baud. I changed it to 57600 and now it works. :D I got populated almost everything except battery voltage and current, because I still don't have APM power module. My RC RSSI is 0 and I don't know why. But it's excellent for the biggining. It would bi nice to have Groundspeed (GS) and Airspeed (AS) in telemetry screens. I use my 3DR 433 MHz radio (ground model with USB) with my tablet (DroidPlanner or Andropilot) too, so I have telemetry on both tablet and 9x radio at the same time.
Hi frikzy,

question, do you have modem inside or attached to your radio? then you get the telem on the 9x and then you use Bluetooth or something to get the telem on the tablet?
just curious as I have heard setups like so.

I am going to mod one of my 9x's to have modem internally but I don't think I am going to mod my taranis to do so.

I need to get a android table to get there eventually, but I am just thinking of the best way to do so.
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod

Return to “openTx”