Fas100 - wrong current measurement

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
Dilbert

Fas100 - wrong current measurement

Post by Dilbert »

Hi I have a problem with the fas100 (frsky with telemetry mod). I have connected it to the hub2.0 that route to the receiver data port. After installing the last open9x firmware the measured current shows about 40A instead of about 0A. The analog output have a value of 0.6v corresponding to 0A. I am not sure if it is an hardware problem or a bug in the latest version. I will perhaps try installing an older version of open9 x.

Has anyone encountered the same problem???

Ciao Stefano

Dilbert

Re: Fas100 - wrong current measurement

Post by Dilbert »

I made further investigations. I have tryied with a FAS-40 and the reading on the 9x display is correct. The problem is related to the FAS-100. I assume is my new fas-100 that is not working correctly.

STefano
RightRudder

Post by RightRudder »

Dilbert wrote:I made further investigations. I have tryied with a FAS-40 and the reading on the 9x display is correct. The problem is related to the FAS-100. I assume is my new fas-100 that is not working correctly.

STefano
I recently ordered FAS-100 but received FAS-40 labeled as FAS-100. The BATT and ESC positions are opposite with these so I reversed my connectors and voila the current is reading. But it is only a FAS-40. I complained to hobbyking and they just said thanks for letting us know. No credit, no offer to send me the correct part. No promise to inform recent customers to check their parts! BEWARE!
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

Thank you for info. I will check mine, but how can I find if it is a 40a instead of a 100a?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The FAS-100 is bigger and thicker. On the 40 the thickest part should pretty much be the cables. On the 100 there's a big fat component pretty much in the middle of the board, about 1cm thick.

rainer

Post by rainer »

RightRudder wrote:I recently ordered FAS-100 but received FAS-40 labeled as FAS-100. The BATT and ESC positions are opposite with these so I reversed my connectors and voila the current is reading. But it is only a FAS-40. I complained to hobbyking and they just said thanks for letting us know. No credit, no offer to send me the correct part. No promise to inform recent customers to check their parts! BEWARE!
Did you pay via paypal, and if yes, is there still time to open a Paypal case?
build your own vario ==> https://github.com/openXsensor/openXsensor/wiki (Formerly https://code.google.com/p/openxsensor/ and https://code.google.com/p/openxvario/)
RightRudder

Post by RightRudder »

So here is the official response from Eva at FrSky:

Dear Joe,
Thanks for your e-mail and support.

There is one batch of 120pcs FAS-100 provided to HobbyKing that with the same PCB size as FAS-40 but they are true FAS-100 and could measure 100A without problem. They have been well tested, but were put on the wrong label - the BAT and ESC positions should be opposite.

Sorry for the trouble and thank you again for your report and support.
Best regards!
FrSky Team
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

hhmmmm, strange.. because the PCB says FAS-40. would be interesting to compare the components with a real 40A sensor and see if that is really true.. if it is equal and can really measure 100A, why bothering paying more for the 100A one? ;) :)

Something doesn't smell good :o

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Because of what he said in the other thread, while the "small" 100A version can measure 100A it introduces a big voltage drop the real FAS-100 doesn't.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

so, the other sensor is really a 100A sensor sold as a 40A, right?
or is it a 40A accurate sensor sold as an inaccurate 100A.

Or someone just messed the labels up and now has to invent an excuse to try to make it look right? This sounds more like it to me..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
RightRudder

Post by RightRudder »

I think what happened is that now that FrSky have a superior product ie the FAS-100 they were having a hard time getting rid of stock on the older FAS-40. So they changed the shunt so that it could handle 100 amps safely and maybe adjusted the firmware to get the correct readings with the new shunt and then stuck FAS-100 labels on the last 120 units and sent them to hobbyking to unload on the unsuspecting public. The only flaw in this devilish plan was that they didn't account for the fact that the current flows in opposite directions in the two devices. So the FAS-100 label creates a problem. It's not a nice thing to do though even if they hadn't got caught with their pants down because at high amperage the shunt robs significant voltage that the motor is never going to get to use. Since there is no shunt on a real FAS-100 there is no voltage drop. It senses current by sensing the magnetic field generated by the current through a trace on the board rather than reading a voltage drop across a shunt. (A shunt is just a very low resistance in series with the current). I hope that makes it clear.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

RightRudder wrote:I think what happened is that now that FrSky have a superior product ie the FAS-100 they were having a hard time getting rid of stock on the older FAS-40.
Tha can't be, because the FAS-40 was released 6 months after the FAS-100 ;)

Return to “openTx”