Prevent model powerup with negative throttle?

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
algo

Prevent model powerup with negative throttle?

Post by algo »

My V911 requires a negative throttle trim otherwise it will run even with the throttle off. The problem is if the heli is on when the radio is turned on then it will start trying to fly until the radio is booted. Once booted the heli shuts off.

Any way to prevent this or is it just something we have to live with? Obviously the solution is to never turn on the heli first but this is the issue that the throttle alarm is suppose to prevent... doesn't work if your model needs negative throttle to prevent bad things™ from happening.

Broke a tail prop because of this. :x

Kilrah

Re: Prevent model powerup with negative throttle?

Post by Kilrah »

Open9x does not send anything to the RF module until it has finished booting and all alerts have been dismissed.
If your heli starts during that time, then it's a matter of TX module/RX/ESC doing weird things over which we have no control of....

Not turning the model on before the radio is rule number 1 in R/C though... even if it's not required for most 2.4GHz systems, some still need it...
algo

Post by algo »

Yeah, something to live with I guess. It definitely seems like the TX module. I would think that it shouldn't do anything at all until initialized by the radio (if there is such an initialization). My thought was that something isn't set correctly during powerup (a pin grounded or whatever).

I wonder if the stock firmware does the same thing... probably :)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

er9x/ersky9x has a throttle trim option, I think it is in open9x as well. If enabled, then the low throttle position is controlled by the trim setting. This is used for IC engines to allow setting the idle throttle position. Maybe you have this option enabled.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
algo

Post by algo »

Hmm, I was wrong. I had to use negative throttle trim with the stock firmware.

Whatever is happening happens the instant I turn on the radio so I don't think it's any settings in the firmware. It shuts off once the firmware loads the model but I will have to take a closer look at the model to see exactly how it is set up (I didn't create it).

I was thinking maybe it is in fact an issue with the RX/TX combination. I mean the fact that it required negative trim in the stock firmware says that something is off there. I'm guessing as soon as the TX gets power it starts sending something by default that the RX doesn't like (PPM timing issue or similar) and maybe there isn't anything that can be done.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

this might have nothing to do with the problem.. but, did you:
1) callibrate the sticks?
2) callibrate the heli's ESC to the radio? (presuming that it is an electric heli of course)

Please don't turn your models on (specially helis) before the radio, or you could have very bad surprises. It's very dangerous..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
algo

Post by algo »

Thought I would follow up on this. I found that turning off the splash screen fixes the issue. Definitely seems like something that could be corrected in the firmware even if it's not a bug per se.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Then you mean that your motor is powered up
- during the splash
- during all alarms
And you would like that during this these alarms, PPM pulses are sent with a "special" value (configurable), right?
Bertrand.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What TX module are you using, and when did you get it? and what receiver are you using?
There is another thread running regarding a similar issue. I have a suspicion that Flysky have changed their TX module so it starts transmitting servo positions as soon as it gets power, BEFORE it gets any PPM command inputs.

The idea of open9x/er9x is that we don't send any PPM commands until the radio is booted and the throttle stick is off. Several of us have tested for this with various modules and receiver and cannot reproduce the problem, but I think we all have quite old Flysky modules.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Personnally, I use FrSky module, not FlySky one, as I don't trust very much the FlySky module ...
Bertrand.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

+1
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
algo

Post by algo »

Sorry, I wasn't clear when I said I thought it could be fixed. What I meant was that I need to do more testing. My guess is that turning off the splash screen isn't actually fixing anything other than it boots and loads the model faster. I suspect with enough tries I can get it to power up the throttle even with the splash off.

Now that I think about it maybe it can't be fixed because like bertrand35 said, if there are any alarms it will still power up. Ah well...

My FlySky module is new, like within the last few weeks. The receiver is the V911 micro-heli's receiver built into its main board.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

We would like a test if possible.
First just have servos on the receiver, this make things safe. You need a receiver battery for this of course.
On the Tx, enable the throttle warning.

Now, turn on tx, then turn on rx and make sure all servos are moving OK. Now hold the sticks at end positions and turn the tx off. The servos should be at end positions.

Next advance the throttle, to cause the warning, and switch the tx on. What do the servos do? This is the important bit. Move the aileron and elevator controls (not the throttle, you should be at the throttle warning screen). Do the servos move at all?

Finally move the throttle to the low position to get rid of the warning. Now what do the servos do?

Thanks if you can do this.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
algo

Post by algo »

I can't easily disconnect the motors but it's just a little heli, easy to hold on to. :)

The servos return to the neutral position (center) as soon as the radio is turned on and at the warning screen. Aileron and elevator have no effect when on the warning screen (neither does throttle). Lowering the throttle clears the warning screen, the motors shut off and every works like normal.

I have attached the model config I'm using. I didn't create it and honestly haven't even looked at what settings it's using.
Attachments
v911.eepe
(1.28 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
algo

Post by algo »

Finally took a look at the settings. Looks like it's set for +/- 125% throttle.

So with the default timing output from the TX (no model loaded) the receiver must see about 25% positive throttle. Seems about right.
algo

Post by algo »

I have determined that this issue has nothing to do with the particular model or receiver. I just had the same thing happen on a quad using the stock Turnigy 9XCv2 receiver.

Looking in the MultiWii GUI I can see that the TX actually sends 50% throttle while it boots or is on warning screens. This is a huge issue if you ask me. My quad was on the ground idling when my TX suddenly shut off (due to a faulty battery). At that point the quad kept idling (this is a separate issue I need to address) and I had no way to shut it off without sticking my hands into spinning blades. At that point I wondered about the throttle issue. I carefully reset all my switches and throttle before turning on the radio. When I turned on the radio the quad jumped a few inches off the ground until the radio booted and it slammed back down. I can't think what would have happened if the quad's battery wasn't dead and a warning had popped up or something, at least it's only 50% throttle and not 100%.

I wonder if the stock Turnigy firmware does this.

I think er9x/open9x should to do an "initialize" (ie. set throttle to zero) of these newer FlySky modules absolutely as soon as possible after the radio is turned on; before any warning screens or anything at all. In any case I'm going to do this on my personal versions of er9x/open9x.

I think I may also add a switch that lets me hard disconnect the TX module's power.
iwik

Post by iwik »

Algo,
Yes it does happen on the Stock F/W but their splash screen is quite short and only gives a short blip of the motor.
I PM Flysky and their reply was;

"Thanks for buying our products. Please make sure the speed controller be connected to channel 3 and operate as follows:
1.Turn on transmitter first
2.Turn on receiver later.
When you finishing flying, please turn off the receiver first.
Please feel free to contact with us if you have any problem.

So much for their concern.
Les
algo

Post by algo »

Heh, sounds about right. I guess they just hope you never have to do things in a different order. ;) It's gotta be a bug or something if the old modules don't do it.

Anyway, I wonder if putting the throttle on another channel would work. I'll have to see what it sends by default on the others.
algo

Post by algo »

Ah, no luck... It sends 50% on all channels. :(
iwik

Post by iwik »

Yes,been their done that.Best bet is to go Frysky,which i intend doing. Just waiting to get all my Mod parts before i tear down the Txmr.
Les

Return to “openTx”