Open TX Companion writing models - flashing done with errors

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
Nate01

Open TX Companion writing models - flashing done with errors

Post by Nate01 »

Hello everyone.

I'm asking for help with OpenTX Companion. When writing models to TX, the dialog box shows: "Flashing done with errors".
FlashingDoneWithErrors.png
FlashingDoneWithErrors.png (18.64 KiB) Viewed 5197 times
However the models appear to be written to TX. However when browsing through model configuration screens it happens that TX "kicks" me off from the model configuration and switches to another model. At this point I can't access the SD card from the radio, it shows no files on SD card. Reboot of the radio makes SD card accesible again. At this point I'm not able to reliably modify model settings from TX, secondly I don't believe that TX can't operate reliably in this state.

I use:
Turnigy 9XR Pro
Bootloader 1.9
opentx-9xrpro-cz-2.3.10-otx.bin

OpenTx Companion 2.3.10

I tried to format the SD card (file system FAT32), it appears OK on the computer.

Thank everyone for help!
Regards

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Open TX Companion writing models - flashing done with errors

Post by MikeB »

This is odd as Companion appears to be using SAM-BA to access the radio. Normally you would use the bootloader.
Please try powering the radio on with the two horizontal held inwards, this should start the radio in bootloader mode, then connect the USB cable.
Companion should then use the bootloader (two external drives appear on the computer) and not SAM-BA.
If that doesn't work, then it may be that Companion no longer operates with the bootloader you have, which sounds like the "original" from ersky9x firmware.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I believe OpenTX no longer develops for the 9XR-PRO radio, and actually the current versions have problems that were never fixed. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.
I recommend using ErskyTX that is still being developed for this radio.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Nate01

Post by Nate01 »

OK, thank you for your replies. What do you think about SD card issues? This apperas to be a separate problem.
Nate01

Post by Nate01 »

MikeB wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:02 am This is odd as Companion appears to be using SAM-BA to access the radio. Normally you would use the bootloader.
Please try powering the radio on with the two horizontal held inwards, this should start the radio in bootloader mode, then connect the USB cable.
Companion should then use the bootloader (two external drives appear on the computer) and not SAM-BA.
If that doesn't work, then it may be that Companion no longer operates with the bootloader you have, which sounds like the "original" from ersky9x firmware.

Mike
Mike, I tried to connect the radio via bootloader moder, doesn't help. Sorry.

Nate01

Post by Nate01 »

jhsa wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:37 pm I believe OpenTX no longer develops for the 9XR-PRO radio, and actually the current versions have problems that were never fixed. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.
I recommend using ErskyTX that is still being developed for this radio.

João
Thanks for advice, which version of ersky would you recommend? I tried 222 and it looks unlike the opentx.
Could you possibly recoomned me what is the latest working version of companion and opentx software for 9XR Pro?

My biggest problem is with the SD card, which dissapears, the TX stops reading it and it shows no card.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Did you succeed in flashing erskyTx to the radio (without errors)?
If so, does it all appear to work correctly? R222 is fine.
When you say using bootloader mode didn't help, what actually happened?
Did the radio start OK in bootloader mode (power on with the horizontal trims held inwards)?
If so, when you then connect the USB to your computer did you see two external drives appear on the computer?

Please answer all these questions to make it easier to provide help.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Nate01

Post by Nate01 »

MikeB wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:27 pm Did you succeed in flashing erskyTx to the radio (without errors)?
If so, does it all appear to work correctly? R222 is fine.
When you say using bootloader mode didn't help, what actually happened?
Did the radio start OK in bootloader mode (power on with the horizontal trims held inwards)?
If so, when you then connect the USB to your computer did you see two external drives appear on the computer?

Please answer all these questions to make it easier to provide help.

Mike
Hi Mike, thank you. The answers are here:

Did you succeed in flashing erskyTx to the radio (without errors)? I removed the SD card form the TX, loaded erskyTx r222, put it back to the TX, started in bootloader mode (rudder and aileron trims in the center) and flashed this firmware. The radio appered to boot correctly. I was quite confused with erskyTX menu, so i didn't continue with other testing.

As far I'm aware, I cant use ErskyTX and openTX companion, right? I must use eepsky.

When you say using bootloader mode didn't help, what actually happened? The bootloader works fine I think, the TX shows all available firmwares on SD card and I can flash them etc. BUT THE TX HAS TO SEE THE SD CARD IT, this is my second big problem that something happens and the TX reports no SD CARD and cannot see it. I think it can be bound with possibly incorrect writing models?

I mean that open TX companion behaves the same when writing models (flashing done with errors), even if I start TX in the bootloader mode and than connect the USB and write models.

If so, when you then connect the USB to your computer did you see two external drives appear on the computer? Yes
Nate01

Post by Nate01 »

Just one more thing,
Am I correct that I cannot transfer model setup from opentx to eepsky?
This means to do the whole model configuration again when using ErSkyTX and eepsky?
If so I'd throw 9XR Pro in thrash and buy taranis.

Thanks
Nate01

Post by Nate01 »

All issues appear to be solved.

The answer was just at the tip of nose, but there are so many information that finding it is not easy.
https://www.open-tx.org/2018/02/26/avr-pull

X9r Pro is not supported anymore as MikeB pointed out.

Therefore I downgraded to Companion 2.1.9 and the same TX firmware. It all appears all right now.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The 9XR Pro is not an AVR radio, the 9XR "not Pro" is.

Return to “openTx”