A Simple Auto Launch System

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
deerslayer

A Simple Auto Launch System

Post by deerslayer »

I have something to offer here as well as a question.

First of all, the attached PDF describes a simple Auto Launch system that I created and use on a number of aircraft - flying wings, gliders, anything that always or occasionally required hand launching. This system does not use anything out of the ordinary in the aircraft and it does not require a LUA script or even any fancy logic, just the barest understanding of OpenTx.

This system demonstrates a means of using a Global Variable to turn a momentary or other switch into a more versatile thing, such as sequentially stepping through carious functions upon each activation of that switch. I hope that someone finds it interesting and perhaps even useful!

Now for my question:
As part of my Auto Launch system, a Special Function will Override the Throttle channel and set it to 100% or whatever is appropriate for the particular model during launch.
I would like to have this function control the Throttle in a different manner. For instance, instead of just firewalling it, I would like it to follow a Curve of my choosing, but only during the Auto Launch. I could probably use more Logicals, each with a delay, and associated Special Functions to do this, I suppose. But, I may also with to slow down the Throttle advance during this time and revert back to its normal operation after the Auto Launch is disabled. Any ideas?
Attachments
Auto Launch System.pdf
(737.93 KiB) Downloaded 200 times

jhsa

Re: A Simple Auto Launch System

Post by jhsa »

I remember doing something similar a few years ago, but on Er9x, not OpenTX. As far as I remember, I would hit a switch, then had to launch the model right after, then a couple seconds later the motor would turn ON, to the throttle position setting, not necessarily to full throttle.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
deerslayer

Re: A Simple Auto Launch System

Post by deerslayer »

With some models, such as the one I just started flying in my yard with surrounding trees, you may have to find the ideal launch throttle setting. Han That is one advantage of this kind of system, rather than perhaps jamming the throttle to some setting with your chin. In my particular situation today, I found a setting of about 60%, rather than 100%, to give just enough thrust for a decent launch but keeping the speed down enough to let me get full control within my clear area. Much more relaxing than the first couple of launches.

You could also give yourself some time after hitting the switch to play a warning noise or countdown, waggle the controls, burp the motor or some other such useful or idiotic things. Yes, I have done all of the above, just for fun. Why else would the Great Designers have put all the neat hooks in OTX?

Sometimes, messing around with such things can be almost as much fun as actually flying. Weird?

Return to “openTx”