New to Open9x with questions for erSky9x board

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
Hippo

New to Open9x with questions for erSky9x board

Post by Hippo »

Hi,

I really like some of the things you can do with Open9x, but I'm stuck on a few simple things.

When you start a count-up timer with THt as the trigger, how do you stop it again? I usually run a TH% countdown, and a continuous count-up on er9x. I don't want the count-up to stop at 0 throttle, but I do want to be able to stop it upon landing

Also, on open9x for the Sky9x board, I can't seem to get potscroll to work. The rotary encoder works, but the pots do nothing. I selected the option when I downloaded the firmware. Perhaps it's not implemented yet?

Working with Open9x I'll have some questions about Companion9x soon too. (Is there any way to load/save a model individually like in eepe?)

Thanks! Loving the new options, and the new board,
Dan

Hippo

Re: New to Open9x with questions for erSky9x board

Post by Hippo »

Ooh. I noticed something else. When I turn the radio on it shows the splash screen, but the backlight doesn't come on until after the splash screen. Is that normal?

(I wanna see my custom screen in the dark...)
Hippo

Post by Hippo »

Just thought of one more. When using dsm2, how do you put it into range check mode? It used to be switch C, but now the switches go all the way to W? (I suppose I could test this for myself, but I'm a bit lazy. )

Thanks!
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Hippo wrote:Hi,
I really like some of the things you can do with Open9x, but I'm stuck on a few simple things.

When you start a count-up timer with THt as the trigger, how do you stop it again? I usually run a TH% countdown, and a continuous count-up on er9x. I don't want the count-up to stop at 0 throttle, but I do want to be able to stop it upon landing
THt doesn't stop (when THs does). How would you stop it?
Hippo wrote: Also, on open9x for the Sky9x board, I can't seem to get potscroll to work. The rotary encoder works, but the pots do nothing. I selected the option when I downloaded the firmware. Perhaps it's not implemented yet?
Yes it is, but not enabled. Why don't you use the Rotary Encoders for that now we have them?
Hippo wrote: Working with Open9x I'll have some questions about Companion9x soon too. (Is there any way to load/save a model individually like in eepe?)
It's in the tasks list ...
Hippo wrote: Thanks! Loving the new options, and the new board,
Dan
As we do
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Hippo wrote:Ooh. I noticed something else. When I turn the radio on it shows the splash screen, but the backlight doesn't come on until after the splash screen. Is that normal?

(I wanna see my custom screen in the dark...)
Yes, it's a minor bug also already in my task list !

Bertrand.

bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Hippo wrote:Just thought of one more. When using dsm2, how do you put it into range check mode? It used to be switch C, but now the switches go all the way to W? (I suppose I could test this for myself, but I'm a bit lazy. )

Thanks!
I will check and tell you, I don't remember what I did for range check!
Bertrand.
Hippo

Post by Hippo »

Thanks Bertrand. You do so much for all of us.

The Rotary encoder is very accurate, but not fast. If I spin it too rapidly, nothing happens. When I have a long way to go, the potscroll seems convenient, then I would switch to the encoder once I got close.

As for the timer, on basic er9x, you can stop and restart the 2nd timer with menu-short. On ersky9x, I'm in the same boat the timer is all or nothing.

I like to run a count-up timer to see how long my entire flight was, not just how long the motor ran, but I also want to stop the timer when I land so I can log the flight, or check battery and motor temps, and restart the timer to go back up again... I guess I can run a !THR on the timer, but I often forget to start it, so I like the throttle trigger.

EDIT: Aah, but I just discovered you can't put !THR on the timer... Alternatives?

Thanks again,
Dan
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

There is a hardware issue with the rotary encoder on the ersky9x board. There are capacitors on the signal lines and the internal pull-ups don't work fast enough. I'm trying to find time to sort a fix, either reduce the capacitor value, or add pull-up resistors to the 2 signal lines. I intend to try 10K and/or 3K3. If anyone else has time to test these it would be helpful.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

I will test as soon I will get my rotary encoder, I'm waiting to have some stuff to order at farnell to distribute shipping costs..
fcolon76

Post by fcolon76 »

I was told that Ersky9x board supports 16 model memory and open9x about 60 model memory. So if I flash my Ersky9x board to open9x FW does that mean I'll have about 60 model memory instead of 16? PLEASE HELP OUT!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The board has plenty of EEPROM for storing models. At present, ersky9x firmware supports 16 models, while I believe open9x does support 60.
I will be increasing the number of models stored by the ersky9x firmware, I just want to complete some major changes I'm implementing at the moment before I make that change.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Yes 60 models on EEPROM + almost unlimited backuped models on SD!
Bertrand.
fcolon76

Post by fcolon76 »

Thanks guys for the fast reply! :D
fcolon76

Post by fcolon76 »

Mike, Do you have any idea around how many models we will be able to store with the new changes?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've allocated 8K for each model, two 4K blocks to allow saving a modified version before erasing the original copy. My new changes only use 1628 bytes for each model, so I should think I will change to 60 models as well.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
fcolon76

Post by fcolon76 »

Well I hope to hear about it soon! And of coarse you will keep us posted :)

Return to “openTx”