First timer issues on QX7

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
bpjacobsen

Post by bpjacobsen »

So I thought I set everything correctly but this is my first rodeo with Open Tx and a basic plane setup with flaps (HK Tundra)
I'm using the attached Lemon Rx and an irange x multimodule.
I have attached screenshots of all relevant setup and no clue what I did wrong.
The rudder and flaps work fine, but the throttle seems to be linked to my right stick and I get no aileron movement. If I put the elevator down, the throttle shuts off. From what I can tell, I have the mappings right (I think?) Just the standard 1,2,3,4 (Throttle, Aileron, Elevator, Rudder) respectively. Any idea what is wrong?
setup.png
Inputs.png
Inputs.png (15.92 KiB) Viewed 11523 times
Mixes.png
Outputs.png
Lemon.png

rdeanchurch

Re: First timer issues on QX7

Post by rdeanchurch »

I think the Mixes order is wrong.
The mix order should AETR for the iRange 4in1. Internal it remaps the channels to Spektrum/JR order unless it is a very old 4in1 module
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
bpjacobsen

Post by bpjacobsen »

Hmm, that's odd. Can you direct me how to change the order? If I select for example, the Aileron mix and try to move it up to 1, the attached is what I see. Or am I supposed to actually set the Aileron as channel 1, Elevator as channel 2, Throttle as channel 3, and Rudder at channel 4? I dont' see how to change which channel goes with which control? Please understand, I'm a complete newbie with this radio system coming from a DX7, so I'm trying to get used to this completely greek way of programming. If you can provide more specific detail on how I should change the order, please do. Thanks!
Attachments
move aileron up.png
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You have to move all the mixes around. What OpenTX version are you using?
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

on channel use 'cut' 1 on the Thr line, then you can 'paste' it to chn3.
The same kind of operation you would use on WORD or SpreadSheet.
No quick way to do it that I know of.
Dean

bpjacobsen

Post by bpjacobsen »

2.2.4 (latest) Just downloaded a couple days ago. Just so I'm clear:

1. Do the channels stay with the current controls but I'm just reording the mixes? ex. Throttle stays with channel 1, but should be listed in the 3rd position in mixing? Or should throttle be channel 3 in the mixing screen?
2. Any chance you could post a screenshot showing what it should look like in my screen if done right? This is not making any sense to me. The dsmx follows the same channel sequence I have setup. Why would the Irange x require me to do the mix in this odd order?
bpjacobsen

Post by bpjacobsen »

see attached. is this what you mean?
Attachments
updated mixes.png
bpjacobsen

Post by bpjacobsen »

So I tried the above and the throttle is now both on the left (correct) stick AND also still on the right stick from middle to high, but no elevator at all. So I'm closer but man this is confusing. Please let me know if I missed something in the above screenshot as that is the current mix I have. My servo plugs are all in the correct slots as showing in the original screenshot of the lemon Rx.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

The iRangeX and other Multiprotocol modules require the use of AETR as the standard channel order across all protocols. For DSM protocols, the module then translates to TAER order for transmission to the receiver.

For your existing setup, you need to move the relevant mixes so they are associated with the appropriate channels. The basic setup is like this.

CH1 100 I Ail
CH2 100 I Ele
CH3 100 I Thr
CH4 100 I Rud

You can use the Move command to shift the lines around.

For future models, you may want to set “Rx channel ord” in OpenTX to AETR (in Radio Setup, near the end of page1). It will then take care of channel order for any subsequent DSM models (changing the order there does not affect existing models).

In your above picture, CH1 should be labelled Ail. The elevator channel (CH2) is labeled Ail and is blank, which accounts for the lack of elevator control. CH3 is labeled Ele but should be Thr and includes two mixes, one related to Ele and the other to Thr. CH4 is the only one of the basic channels set up correctly.

You might find it easiest to start again after setting Rx Channel Order to AETR. Make a new model and you will automatically get off on the right foot! You will also see immediately how all this works.
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

The Input and Mix pages do not have to correspond.
so you can have Thr on ch1 on Input...or any other channel.

The Mix page determines the order of the out puts...so for 4in1 modules you must have AETR for chan. 1234 on the mixer page.
When you have ELV and THR lines with in one mix, Chan. 3, it normal for both the Elv stick and Thr stick to affect what you have connected to chan.3
Dean
bpjacobsen

Post by bpjacobsen »

Bingo! I got my mix updated per the attached and it's working now! So basically in the mix, the first value should match the 'actual' channel order of the Rx which is TAER, but the 2nd part/column needs to show the order that the I-range apparently likes which is AETR. Very strange but Now I can just copy models forward for any other DSMX models I fly then tweak rates etc from there. Also, I had to change my throttle hold mapping in special functions from 1 to 3. whoever designed the I-Range X channel order should be fired. AETR is not a standard channel order. Like WTH?
Attachments
Special Functions.png
updated mixes.png
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

AETR is very old, it matches many users because it matched Futaba. Futaba was king before Spektrum existed. (But Spektrum txs were just JRs in the beginning...sort of.)
I've never used it,but many long time flyers think AETR is the norm. Having the 4in1 so it can always be setup the same way is consider a blessing for many, but somewhat confusing until you know the rules. (AS an aside 100% in FrSky is equivalent to 125% in Spek/JR...but the 4in1 takes care of that.)

Change the label in Outputs and the first column in Mixes afterthe channel number will change.
So go to OUTPUT and rearrange the labels to AETR.

...and you can't fire someone who hasn't been hired. The designer of the firmware for the 4in1 is just a flyer/programmer that did a good deed by making this firmware work. It is Open Source project that you can go change if you want...and have the talent/skill/experience. Actually you, and all of us that use this firmware owe Pascal a big thank you for all his effort that he is giving away. I believe that the whole 4in1 concept was started by 'midelic ' as a DIY hardware project and did the first versions of firmware. I'm old enough to know all the history, but just not smart enough to remember it all.
Dean
bpjacobsen

Post by bpjacobsen »

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the information. Good to know. I'm just ready to celebrate a victory of getting my first plane working correctly with the QX7 and the module. LOL. I think me and this new Tx are gonna get along just fine. I love the endless possibilities this setup brings, even if I don't use half of them.
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

...and there is so much more to play with. Telemetry, putting spoilers on you ailerons, lua. Clever logical switch use.
(especially useful for electric flyers to make the throttle safer.) I fly at a field near two airports, so we have the 400 feet rule. To make matters worse it is near the top of rise that full scale pilots seem to not to want to fly over any higher than they feel is necessary.
So with a vario I set some Log. Sw. that trigger an audio warning at 380 feet and shut off the motor at 400 feet and bray an audio alarm.
There is more fun and games than more fun and games than I can think of. My startup sound is C Eastwood..."go ahead, make my day. When shutdown, Porkey Pig says ....that's all folks...after the musical introduction.
I have an X9D, but it is backup now for my QX7.
Dean
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

bpjacobsen wrote:Bingo! I got my mix updated per the attached and it's working now! So basically in the mix, the first value should match the 'actual' channel order of the Rx which is TAER, but the 2nd part/column needs to show the order that the I-range apparently likes which is AETR. Very strange but Now I can just copy models forward for any other DSMX models I fly then tweak rates etc from there. Also, I had to change my throttle hold mapping in special functions from 1 to 3. whoever designed the I-Range X channel order should be fired. AETR is not a standard channel order. Like WTH?
No. Forget all about what the receiver needs and focus on what the transmitter must produce, which is AETR.

As I said in my previous post, the Mixer page MUST read:
CH 1 Ail
CH 2 Ele
CH 3 Thr
CH 4 Rud

The module will take care of translating this to meet the receiver’s need for TAER.

Regarding your comment, no one designed the Multimodule channel order just to be awkward. If you take the time to understand the compromises involved in developing this remarkable piece of equipment, you will see that it must respond to the needs of dozens of different protocols, each with its own specific requirements, including channel order. The choice in the design was either to leave it to the user to set the parameters for each protocol as it is used or to standardize as much as possible, so when you switch from one protocol to another you don’t have to change the parameters. In the case of Channel Order, the standard of choice was AETR, often known as Futaba order and used by many other systems. The notable exception is JR order, TAER, which was adopted by Spektrum.

If you only use the Multiprotocol module for DSM protocols (notably DSMX), you may prefer to modify the module software not to do any reordering. In that case, you would set up your transmitter in TAER order. That’s how my older modules are set up. But when I got an iRangeX module, it came set up to translate from AETR to TAER. I decided to go with this approach, and rearranged the channel order in my existing models (a process that takes just a couple of minutes for a simple model).

To change the required channel order requires you to download the Config file and edit it using a text editor. Then to compile it and flash to the module. Not a trivial undertaking. Full details are available at:
https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Mul ... -TX-Module

While there, you might want to make a small donation to this effort, which has occupied Pascal and others for several years.
bpjacobsen

Post by bpjacobsen »

Now that I have one configured, it will be easy enough to just copy that one to use for my other DSMX models. Only got a few. I plan on buying some FrSky receivers going forward for any new models. It's working perfectly using the attached updated mix which I believe is what you were referring to and is in the AETR order now. And yes, I see now that I was too quick to complain without really fully understanding the reason behind it. My apologies and appreciate the explanation. I will admit, it's hard sometimes for me to be patient with a new process and learning curve. But I think I"m learning just fine considering I just got this less than a week ago, and after just a few hrs of reading and playing around, I got my first plane ready to go including some special functions, triple rates/expo, timer that I can reset at flip of switch, and 3 second flaps. Just need to work on my telemetry programming for voltage and RSSI. Then it's on to my XK K110, Trex 470 and my Edge 540 etc. Lots to do still, but it's all so worth the extra time given how much you really can do with this thing. just a fabulous piece of technology. Wish I did this sooner.
Attachments
updated mixes.png
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

That’s more like it!

Enjoy.

EDIT: I should add that if the Rx Channel Order in Radio Setup is correctly set to AETR, the Inputs page will show the channels in the same order. So the first line will read:

CH1: Ail I1 : Ail [etc.]

No confusion of channel numbering.

Return to “openTx”