use both internal and multiprotocol module at the same time

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
bvhoesel

use both internal and multiprotocol module at the same time

Post by bvhoesel »

Hi all,

I am trying to get both the internal module and external multi-protocol module working to get 16+ channels for a boat with lot of 'features'.
Searched for some answers if this is possible but nothing really definite found. Only some halve hints, experiences and "may be's". One thing seemed clear. There would be an issue with telemetry from both sides.

Using the configuration:
Radio: Taranis X9D+
OpenTX: 2.2.3
Multi module: IrangeX IRX4
Multi firmware: 1.2.1.51 (latest as of 30-may-2019; variants: with and without telemetry enabled)

The following observations were made.
- I was able to bind receivers on both modules. Used FrSky (D16 mode) and OrangRX (DSMX mode) and combo's. Both receivers will work.
- With telemetry enabled on the multi no telemetry is received alt all. As soon as both modules are enabled (even when not bound!) telemetry is 'lost'.
- With telemetry disabled on the multi the telemetry on the internal is operational.
- After radio restart the receiver on the external multi-protocol module is not connecting anymore. To get this working I need to disable the internal module. Restart the radio so the external module connects to the receiver. Then enable the internal module and both receivers are operational.

Up to the last step I thought I tackled the 'two modules' issue, but alas, still a quirk.

This brings me to the questions:

1. Does OpenTX support both modules enabled at the same time?
2. Are there (known) limitations for specific radios?
3. Did I miss settings that should be enables or disabled?
4. Is there a possibility to have telemetry enabled on the multi but disable it for a specific model. So telemetry is still available for other protocols.

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Bert.

Kilrah

Re: use both internal and multiprotocol module at the same time

Post by Kilrah »

It is not possible to have 2 telemetry streams at the same time.
Make sure to disable the MULTI_STATUS and MULTI_TELEMETRY in module firmware as well as just TELEMETRY, that is still stuff talking on the line.

Also make sure you don't use AUTOBIND, that's likely what causes your receiver to lose binding.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've posted on the DIY MPM thread on RCG a request to be able to turn off the telemetry (and status) on a model by model basis.

If 16 channels are enough, you could consider using D16 and SBUS from the receiver.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
bvhoesel

Post by bvhoesel »

Thanks for the quick responses. The answers implicitly state that both modules with telemetry on internal should work. That's one step ahead for me.

@Kilrah
I already had disabled TELEMETRY. That took care of being able to get telemetry via internal. According to the docs it should also disable MULTI_STATUS and MULTI_TELEMETRY. But to be sure I disabled them explicitly. The newly generated binary is the same size as the previous one and the effects are still the same.
Auto bind (Bind on power on) was not selected for D19, and for DSM it is not available. Even after disabling ENABLE_BIND_CH in the config and generating another new binary it did not help. Still no active external module - receiver connection after radio power on.
It does not look like a bind issue per se. After more testing it looks like some 'init' issue. When I disable the internal module, switch to another model and then switch back (or alternatively restart radio) the external receiver activates (holds for both FrSky and OrangeRX receiver). Then, when activating the internal module the internal receiver activates and both are active.
Another one is that binding the external module when the internal module is active and bound does not work. Only when deactivating the internal module I am able to bind the external module.

@Mike,
Thanks for the post. It is a huge thread. Already 'browsed' that one but it's hard to 'catch up' and find something.
Use of sbus to get 16 channels on one receiver is already working. But I need more channels to implement what I have in mind for the moment. That is, if I get everything working as I would like 8-) .

Bert.

Return to “openTx”