Taranis X9D migrating 2.0 to 2.1/2.2 impact?

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
JLTGTI

Taranis X9D migrating 2.0 to 2.1/2.2 impact?

Post by JLTGTI »

So .. im using 2.0.19 since the day i bought my Taranis..usually i dont like upgrading something that allready works due to very unpleasant issues in the past upgrading stuff..

But now the thing is i cant use some stuff like XM series FrSky receivers and other newer ones and they wont work in 2.0.X

so i would like to upgrade to 2.1.X or even better 2.2.X ..

I know Companion can do this relativy easily and that i can allways do a present backup and go back if necesary.. But i have heard about some things not working or changing notably from 2.0.X to 2.1.X allready.. so my question is .. what can change from mixes , logical switches and sounds?

I have arround 20 planes.. most of them use standard mixes using the MAX source and normal curves.. and sounds i use the radio stock voice as it came and added some custum sounds for some functions (like flaps and FC flight modes call outs and so).. a couple logical switches in a couple planes and barelly use anything on telemetry.. only the stock RSSI alarms ..and use analogic voltage sensors on D series RXs to monitor a few planes lipo status (the cheap sensor that plugs straight into A2 port). I think i will need to redo the A2 voltage alarms from scratch.. but what about the models mixes? logical switches and the custom sounds? Im more worried about the planes mixes changing.. they are not that complex..but have a couple of full house gliders wich use quite a few mixes arround for brakes and stuff..

Searched arround the forum but didnt found much info on this particular topic :?:

thebriars0

Re: Taranis X9D migrating 2.0 to 2.1/2.2 impact?

Post by thebriars0 »

1. You will need to redo any telemetry as that is now quite different. However they sensors you have work fine.
2. Go straight to 2.2 not 2.1.Make a backup of your SD card and your models first.
3. The sounds are different. Copy your custom sounds onto the SD card after installing the 2.2 SD card files. Note that filenames have reduced from 7 to 6 characters for both sounds and images.
4. If using D series rx then uncheck the EU box in the radio profile, though you can still use the EU software.
5. Otherwise your mixes and logical switches should remain the same. However, do check each model carefully before flying.
JLTGTI

Post by JLTGTI »

thebriars0 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:11 pm 1. You will need to redo any telemetry as that is now quite different. However they sensors you have work fine.
yeah... for now i only use telemetry for the RSSI and voltage sensor with basic alarms.. so redoing stuff from scratch should be easy.. not using anything complex.. but might soon ..but for that i need 2.2
2. Go straight to 2.2 not 2.1.Make a backup of your SD card and your models first.
Thanks.. i tought that but didnt knew well if i could move from 2.0 to 2.2 or had to go throught 2.1 before.. obviously since i have to redo the little telemetry alerts its better to go straight to 2.2 unless it would mess my mixes
3. The sounds are different. Copy your custom sounds onto the SD card after installing the 2.2 SD card files. Note that filenames have reduced from 7 to 6 characters for both sounds and images.
So basically make sure all sound files are 6ch max .. got it.. i allready had made that mistake once copying custom sounds until i found out that they were more than 7ch long..
4. If using D series rx then uncheck the EU box in the radio profile, though you can still use the EU software.
Im using the FCC version allways .. i have a fleet of D series RXs wich use the international version so i allways go with FCC
5. Otherwise your mixes and logical switches should remain the same. However, do check each model carefully before flying.
Thanks.. thats what worries me more..io hope Companion doesnt have issues converting them
thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

2.2 does a better job of conversion than 2.1 did. Sliders seem to be the only real problem, if you use a slider for flaps, check that function carefully.

Basically, when I went to the X10 and 2.2, I converted all my planes (20) on the Companion, tidied up some of the programming to be a bit more consistent, and then took each one out in turn and checked it in flight. I use quite a lot of telemetry so a bit more work. I still have 20 planes. :D
JLTGTI

Post by JLTGTI »

thebriars0 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:53 pm 2.2 does a better job of conversion than 2.1 did. Sliders seem to be the only real problem, if you use a slider for flaps, check that function carefully.
Thats what worries me ... i use sliders for crow brakes in 3 gliders..one of them even uses both sliders.. left for crow and right for camber/reflex

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

I believe you may have less troubles if you were to try "erSky9x for Taranis": (http://www.er9x.com/).
I use erSky9x firmware on my Taranis and eepSkye on my PC.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

He's concerned about the amount of work to convert his models and you're suggesting him something where he'd have to restart everything from scratch? :roll:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

True.. :) it would be a lot of work.. :) and I believe is not the best option at the moment :)

But perhaps what Bob meant to say is that ErSky9x stays compatible with older versions most of the time. And when it doesn't, it isn't anything so drastic as having to re-program your models. They remain compatible, no conversion needed..
I believe that companion converts them? So, not a big deal? :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

@Bob.

I bit off topic, but ...
I use erSky9x firmware on my Taranis and eepSkye on my PC.
On http://www.er9x.com/ I see

those Linux packages. Nice, would like to give it a try, BUT those are 386 deb packages!!

We are in 2018 and who is still on a 386 system?

br KH
JLTGTI

Post by JLTGTI »

Also all Taranis here run OpenTX .. so its also a matter of comonality :D

I rstill un Er9X in my old 9X wich is still in the closet after i got the X9D .. i keep it as a backup radio.. i never had complains about er9X and actually thanks it because its so similar to OpenTX that i didnt had any issues when moving to the X9D.. i even could convert the models from er9X to OpenTX .. some stuff changed a bit (for example the ability to use only 1 mix per aileron if you wanted to have differential rather than 2 mixes in er9X) , had to redo telemetry alarms for voltage and of course the gliders needed to be re-done as now i could use sliders for flaps/crow while before i used switches...as using the knobs on either the 9X or X9D for any surface movement is not very helpfull (not easy to reach those with your fingers while you are flying a glider into landing and have to keep the eyes on it and then wind gusts begin to rock it in the final descent and you need to have the fingers in the throttle )
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

jhsa wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:10 am I believe that companion converts them? So, not a big deal? :)
Yep. Although going from 2.0 to 2.2 there have been lots of improvements so there still is some manual work. Handling of telemetry changed entirely in 2.1.
But everything related to model control is maintained, it's only "accessory stuff" that needs work, so nowhere near starting from scratch.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

bit off topic
Hi kalle123,
I am not using Linux, I use Win 7 64bit, maybe Mike can answer your question.

bit on topic
Thank you João, you answered better then I did.
That ErSky9x has no troubles when updating to the newest versions.
Just wanted to note that there is an option to use ErSky9x firmware.
Both are very good firmware's.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

Kilrah wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:37 am
jhsa wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:10 am I believe that companion converts them? So, not a big deal? :)
Yep. Although going from 2.0 to 2.2 there have been lots of improvements so there still is some manual work. Handling of telemetry changed entirely in 2.1.
But everything related to model control is maintained, it's only "accessory stuff" that needs work, so nowhere near starting from scratch.
In the OPs case he pointed out that he used little telemetry anyway.
thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

JLTGTI wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:56 pm
thebriars0 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:53 pm 2.2 does a better job of conversion than 2.1 did. Sliders seem to be the only real problem, if you use a slider for flaps, check that function carefully.
Thats what worries me ... i use sliders for crow brakes in 3 gliders..one of them even uses both sliders.. left for crow and right for camber/reflex
It should not worry you, its just a matter of checking the lines with sliders in as they might have been disabled. If necessary, before updating, print out the coding for the 3 gliders, and then make sure when updated each line reads exactly the same. How they are programmed and how they work does not change between versions.

Return to “openTx”