Jumper T12 Open Source 16ch Radio with JP4-in-1 Multi-protocol RF Module

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
HobbyPorter

Post by HobbyPorter »

Hi all, the Jumper T12 is now being officially announced. Pre-production samples are just about ready to ship out to testers and reviewers. Official sale date TBA. RRP $89.90

Official Jumper Website

Follow us on facebook

Wholesale & Dealer enquiries

Thanks!

Hobby Porter Team.

Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image

The Jumper T12 brings the best features of the T8SG v2 series and bundles them together with JumperTX an open source Firmware set based on the OpenTX Project. Compatible with JR style RF modules the T12 comes with the JP4-in-1 Multi protocol module as standard

You asked, we listened.
One of the most asked questions when the T8SG v2 was release was will it work with TBS Crossfire. We are happy to announce the T12 version does indeed support Crossfire and in CRSF mode with LUA script support and most importantly WITHOUT any hardware modification for end users. If your looking for the most compact, most affordable and most EPIC Crossfire compatible TX in the market today look no further than the Jumper T12. Jumper is committed to supporting OPEN hardware module platforms and will never try to force customers on to proprietary equipment.

Keep it simple, keep it affordable.
The T12 platform is shipped with the JP4-in-1 Multi-protocol module. If you already own JR Modules such as the TBS Crossfire or any other JR Module compatible 2.4ghz, Analogue or Long Range UHF system the T12 is ready to rock out with its socket out! A standard LCD screen was used along with the T8SG V2 butter smooth V2 gimbals offering quality, usability and best of all affordability.

Goodies included
The T12 comes standard with a neck strap and AA battery tray. The T12 can also be powered with any LiPO or LiFE battery of a compatible size meaning users do not need to source their own uncommon sized Li-ion round cells or a round cell charger.

Seamless Integration
The T12, when paired with the Jumper JP4-in-1 offers seamless intergration between JumperTX (an open source Firmware set based on the OpenTX Project) and module meaning protocals can be accessed and selected directly from the software GUI. Crossfire users can setup their equipment via LUA scripts

Radio Features:
JumperTX (an open source Firmware set based on the OpenTX Project)
JR/FrSKY compatible module bay on rear side (module not included)
USB online firmware upgrade
Ultra-low power consumption, longer battery life
Channels: up to 16 channel output
Wide voltage input (2s lipo recommended)
Multilingual menu
Vibration reminder function
Support telemetry (depending on the receiver)
Crossfire CSRF Compatible: Yes
LUA Script support: Yes

Radio Specs:

Radio MCU: STM32F205VET6 (512kb)
Size: 158 * 150 * 58
Weight: 342g (without battery)
Working voltage: DC5-DC9V (factory with 4 * AA battery box, 2s Lipo recommended, batteries not included)
Firmware: OpenTX
Channels: up to 16 channel output
Display: 1.7-inch LCD display, 128* 64 resolution
Gimbal Type: Potentiometer
JR/FrSKY compatible module bay on rear side
Upgrade method: USB online upgrade
Simulator mode: 3.5mm standard ppm output or USB HID
Voice support: YES

Jumper JP4-in-1 Module
The Jumper JP4IN1 Module features the CC2500, NRF24L01, A7105 and CYRF6936 RF Chip modules all integrated on one board. This module can convert standard PPM signals form module equipped radios in to the RF protocols used by most radios in the market today (See RF Chip data below). This module is plug and play with module equipped radios in the FrSKY series and requires no complex wiring or “hacking” to get running. The module is a great way to improve the enjoyment of your flying experience, using a better radio such as the FrSKY Taranis series rather than the low grade radios commonly included with most kits offers an night and day difference in performance. The Jumper JP4IN1 module is also upgradable via USB input

JP4-in-1 Specifications:
Working voltage: 6-9v
Working current: <=100ma
Operating frequency: 2.4G ISM band
RF power: +22DBM
Main control chip: STM32F103CBT6 (128K ROM, 20K RAM)
Module bay compatibility: FRSky, Jr and other dimensions: 64*49*33 (without antenna)
Net Weight: 42g (including antenna)
Software Compatibility: Suitable for radios using OpenTX or er9x/ersky9x
Firmware updatable: Yes, via USB.

RF Chip Data
Cypress Semiconductor CYRF6936: DSM/DSMX, Walkera Devo
Texas Instruments CC2500: FrSky, Futaba SFHSS
Amiccom A7105: FlySky, FlySky AFHDS2A, Hubsan
Nordic Semiconductor NRF24L01: HiSky, Syma, ASSAN and most other Chinese models

OpenTX Firmware is developed by the OpenTX team. Full credit is given to the developers of OpenTX. Please visit http://www.open-tx.org/ to learn more

Final specs are subject to change.
Last edited by HobbyPorter on Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:44 am, edited 4 times in total.

jhsa

Re: Jumper T12 OpenTX 12ch Radio with JP4-in-1 Multi-protocol RF Module

Post by jhsa »

Why only 12 channels? OpenTX supports many more as far as I know, so does the multiprotocol module when using some of the protocols..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kumi

Post by Kumi »

Maybe it's only the current firmware limit.

And what's the main CPU inside the transmitter? STM32F1.., F2.., F4.. or ?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

STM32F2 I believe.
I note that the Tx has a FCC and CE mark, but the module doesn't seem to have them.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
HobbyPorter

Post by HobbyPorter »

Hi all, thanks for the questions, specs are updated to clarify.

Radio uses an STM32F205VET6 (512kb)
Input Channels: 12 hardware input channels
Output Channels: up to 16 channel output via software

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I don't understand what you nean with 12 hardware input channels, sorry.

As far as I know openTX supports many more channels than that. At least 32?
Multi module, with certain protocols, supports 16 as far as I know..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

He's probably talking of control inputs as in number of stick/switches/pots. Nobody uses "channels" to describe that though.
HobbyPorter

Post by HobbyPorter »

Correct, 12 inputs, stick/switches/pots.

32ch requires 16ch from the internal RF and 16ch from an extra module. The T12 has no internal RF.
HobbyPorter

Post by HobbyPorter »

Kilrah wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:16 pm He's probably talking of control inputs as in number of stick/switches/pots. Nobody uses "channels" to describe that though.
Thanks for the input Kilrah, whats your suggestion as to a better (honest) way to describe it? would we be better off simply calling it a 16ch radio?

It's great to get other points of view, when your working in a small team things tend to get described certain ways internally and we always thought of the radio as 12ch from a practical point of view even though the software/mixing ability is up to 16ch.

Cheers,

Ben
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

HobbyPorter wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:27 pm The T12 has no internal RF.
Depending on what or where things are connected to the processor, that could probably be changed ;) :)
If supported by the Ersky9x firmware that is known for most of the hardware "hacks" to several radio boards to support new hardware and features, this could certainly be done..
Depending on the hardware and Mike interest on this project of course,;) maybe stuff like the internal module, Bluetooth, etc, could be added :D It would certainly be quite interesting..

Most of my 9x radios with upgrade boards have all those mods, including a low power DIY frsky compatible receiver installed internally for wireless trainer capability.. :) of course, some of the mods are not for beginners :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm concerned regarding the FCC (and CE) approval for the module. I can find a filing under FCC ID:2ANTI-T12. This declares the RF has 4 independent high frequency chips (and then list them), but goes on to say the firmware only supports the CC2500, and the other 3 chips are not activated and end users cannot use or modify them.
Since the specification suggests they are all useable, is there another FCC ID for the module where they are all used?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
HobbyPorter

Post by HobbyPorter »

jhsa wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:47 pm
HobbyPorter wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:27 pm The T12 has no internal RF.
Depending on what or where things are connected to the processor, that could probably be changed ;) :)
Yes sure, it can be modded but we need to consider how to describe the item as shipped. For less confusion we will just run with 16Ch. Thanks!
Jyester

Re: Jumper T12 OpenTX 16ch Radio with JP4-in-1 Multi-protocol RF Module

Post by Jyester »

How would the othe rf chip be accessed? If your using a multi protocol module then all rf should be usuable! Really considering buying one! Is there a Jumper being sold without the module? Already have the irange 4n1 module been using it in my Qx7.
This Tx is under a hundred dollars?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

oldgazer

Post by oldgazer »

I see there is a lot of discussion and speculation about this radio.

Well, it just so happens that I am one of 10 people chosen to review this radio for Banggood.

As soon as the radio arrives I will tear into in to it and give it a complete and unbiased review...

I currently own a FrSky Taranis X9E running OpenTX 2.2.2, a Fly Sky TH9X with an AR9x board running OpenTX 2.2.2, and a POS Fly Sky CT-6B. I fly 3 large multorotors with Pixhawks, a 500mm class quad with and SP Racing F3 runing iNav, a 250 "racer" with an Omnibus F4 running iNav, several SYMA "toy" aircraft, a 450 class seim-scale FBL heli in an MD-500 "Little Boy" Black Ops fuse with a penta rotor head and custom 4 blade tail rotor, a Tarot ZYX S2 gyro and a Fly Sky PWM rx, and last but not leaset a 450 P&B 2 blade fbl heli with a Tarot ZYX S2 gyro and a Fly Sky PWM rx.
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

What kind protocols can it support F/S with JP4 in 1 module?
HobbyPorter

Post by HobbyPorter »

Hello the JP4-in-1 Module has the following RF chips, CC2500, NRF24L01, A7105 and CYRF6936.

The list of supported protocols for each RF chip can be found here.
https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Mul ... Details.md

Thanks!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Comments on the T12, and module, I have.
The T12 uses the same CPU connections as theFrSky QX7, but have left out the rotary encoder. The fork of openTx supplied then "maps" four navigation buttons onto the encoder code. This has the unfortunate effect that the "up" button moves up through menus, but then decrements values. There is also no acceleration of changing values, so large changes take a long time. It really needs the buttons handling in the same way as those of the 9X/9XR/9XR-PRO.

I now have ersky9x running on the T12, with "proper" support for the navigation buttons. As with the 9XR-PRO, until "Jumper" agree with FrSky regarding the use of FrSky (patented) protocols, support for the FrSky XJT module and SPort telemetry will be disabled.

I note the following:
1. It is physically quite small, I don't find it comfortable to use (pinching the sticks, not thumbs).
2. There is no momentary switch.
3. The pots on the sides have a lot of movement from end to end, you need several "goes" to move them fully.
4. No SD card was included.
5. The battery bay is sized for 4, AA cells, any LiPo/LiFe battery needs to be quite small to fit. No battery is included. I'm currently using a 2S 1000mAh LiPo, which just fits.
6. On my Tx the audio output is very "tinny". I tried playing some "background" music and it was quite unpleasant! This may be specific to my Tx of course.
7. The display is quite small about 4.8cm diagonal compared with 7.4cm of the QX7. The backlight is not very even.
8. I found the stick spring tension very low, and the throttle friction very weak. I did open the case and use provided adjustments to increase these, but I still find them weak.

The 4-in-1 module included uses the USB port with a USB-to-serial chip inside. This means the USB bootloader doesn't work. The module also has the incorrect chip for the serial inversion (00 instead of 86). This means it only works with inverted serial, and the "Flash from Tx" method has to use inverted serial.

While the Tx runs the QX7 firmware, it is missing, at least, internal module connections, headphone socket, bluetooth support, FrSky SPort programming port. There are no "spare" connectors internally to allow for "after market" upgrades.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Jyester

Post by Jyester »

Guess i be not buy one!!

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

HobbyPorter

Post by HobbyPorter »

Thanks for the feedback Mike, I have passed it along to Jumper.
HobbyPorter

Re: Jumper T12 Open Source 16ch Radio with JP4-in-1 Multi-protocol RF Module

Post by HobbyPorter »

Hi All, as per the guidance from OpenTX, Jumper have created a fork called JumperTX on GitHub and will start working in it soon. All marketing material on our site (hobbyporter), jumpers site and posts to this forum and RCG made by us have been updated to reflect this.

If anyone wants to point out anything else we need to do inline with this request please let me know and I will do my best to action it as soon as possible. Any help is welcome and appreciated.

If this thread is no longer suitable to be located in this forum then admins please go ahead and move it to where it might be more appropriate.

Many thanks to all for your patience and guidance.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I thought intially the T12 didn't have a haptic vibrator, as I didn't get any vibration. I've just taken my T12 apart and found there is a haptic motor, but one of the connections to it wasn't soldered. I've now soldered that and haptic is working. I did create a version of ersky9x without any references to haptic in it in the menus, I've now put them back in!

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
vodkabears

Post by vodkabears »

Hello everyone.

Mike, what do you mean by "disabling XJT" for T12 and 9XR Pro? Since what version? Is it disabled only for a multi-module, or my genuine XJT won't be 100% usable after the next ersky9x stable release for PRO?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Not the PRO. Frsky reached long ago an agreement with the company that produced the 9XR-PRO.
Mike means that SPORT telemetry support will be disabled on the T12 until they reach an agreement with Frsky. The SPORT telemetry is not open, so any other commercial product can only use it if allowed by frsky.
This is what i think..
João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, XJT and SPort is always included for the 'PRO, only the T12 is affected.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
vodkabears

Post by vodkabears »

Does that mean that only Frsky approved radio can run XJT not in PPM mode and with telemetry?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It does mean that only Frsky approved "COMMERCIAL" radios can use it, yes.
DIY radios are allowed to use it.. This is what I think..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
vodkabears

Post by vodkabears »

That basically means that XJT is an accessory for Frsky and some Turnigy radios and nothing else although it can fit into any JR style tray.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Anyone can use it in PPM mode. And anyone can use it in PXX mode if they just ask FrSky.
It is just pretty unlikely someone who just made a blatant copy of an FrSky radio will have the balls to ask them.
vodkabears

Post by vodkabears »

Sounds pretty reasonably.
GizmoChicken

Post by GizmoChicken »

I notice that the Jumper T16 Pro transmitter offers internal multi-protocol support, without need for an external module:

http://www.multirotorguide.com/news/jum ... ltimodule/

Would it be feasible for the Jumper T12 to provide similar internal multi-protocol support?

If so, provided that an empty module bay would be available for using an optional module (such as a Crossfire module or similar), I hope that Jumper will consider shipping a version of the T12 that provides internal multi-protocol support, much like the Jumper T16 Pro does.

And if such a version of the T12 would be feasible, I don't see much justification (from a manufacturing cost perspective) to continue manufacturing the current T12 version that relies on an external module for multi-protocol support. Better to streamline the supply chain and manufacturing process, which will better allow Jumper to continue offering competitive pricing.

Also, could the price differential between the standard gimbals version and the hall effect gimbals version be narrowed to about $10 or so? I suspect that most prospective buyers of the OpenTX-based T12 (and T16) are enthusiasts who would happily pay an extra $10 or so for hall effect gimbals. Is so, I don't see much justification (from a manufacturing cost perspective) to continue manufacturing the standard gimbals version. Again, better to streamline the supply chain and manufacturing process, which will better allow Jumper to continue offering competitive pricing.

If Jumper wants to provide options for the T12, perhaps provide a few color options, with black being standard and various colors costing a few extra dollars.

As an aside, I'd similarly argue there's also not much justification (from a manufacturing cost perspective) to continue manufacturing any T16 version that (a) relies on the external module for multi-protocol support, and/or (b) ships with standard gimbals. Just offer a single version of T16, namely one with internal multi-protocol support and hall effect gimbals. Not just simpler from supply chain and manufacturing perspective, but much less confusing for consumers.

Return to “openTx”