LiFe Battery Pack

Want to get your own 9x? Don't know where to buy one? Looking for spares?
ShowMaster

Re: LiFe Battery Pack

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks for the circuit Bill. I'll save it my 9x folder and wire it up to see what I can do with it.
Below is what I think is the circuits advantages....

Regarding the post from Reinhard about using a IMAX B6,
That works but this circuit can be made small and be left on to keep the pack fully charged and ready to go. Low current for more in car charging safety and it can be adjusted to compensate for the diode drop in the 9x if left in circuit for short proofing the charge jack. The IMAX charger will be confused by the the diode drop.
In any case it's a good circuit to know about in battery powered hobbies.
Good for gel cells as well.
SM

rcmadrusty

Post by rcmadrusty »

HI, I am a complete newbee but having fun all the same. I feel like a knob asking the following question as I am sure it has already been covered but, to read through every posting is giving me a headache due to the concussion I am trying to get over.

My question is:
Can this LiFe battery be left in the transmitter and be charged by my imax B6 battery charger with the balance lead and the other charge lead that is not already being used by the transmitter. (I like the idea of not having to unplug the lead into the transmitter and risk damaging the plug)

Thanks
rcmadrusty

Post by rcmadrusty »

Oh I forgot to ask
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I don't think that would be a good idea. There is a diode that protects from reverse polarity on the charging jack. I think the voltage would be off to the charger and the battery might not charge correctly.
-Gohst
pldb64

Post by pldb64 »

Gohsthb,

I don't believe he's talking about charging via the charging jack on the side of the Tx. This would certainly NOT be a good idea.

I believe he's indicating that there are three connectors on the LIFE battery. One is the balence lead, one is a servo connector and the other is another connector (which i don't know the right description for). I believe he's saying he's hooked up the battery to the Tx via the servo connector (for example) and now wants to charge up the battery using the free connectors leaving the servo connector in the Tx.

I believe this has been covered before and the consensus was that it should be fine. Probably safer to charge with the Tx turned off however.

I have replaced the 3rd connector with a JST connector and that is how i charge it up. I've not experienced any issues thus far.

YMMV!

rcmadrusty

Post by rcmadrusty »

Thanks pldb64, that is what I was asking
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Need more beer! :o I didn't read it that way the first time. Yea charging via the extra third lead would be fine. If the radio is on while charging...well the charge will probably never end. Since the charger is looking for a low current and the radio draws more than that cut off.
-gohst

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

I think it's best to charge using the balance lead and main power lead on the LIFE, but I suppose the occasional charge through the balance lead wouldn't hurt too much.

Still haven't finalised my charging set up, but a solution without having to remove the battery cover is my aim.
Maintain thine airspeed.
Lest the ground arise and smite thee!
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... pack_.html
You will notice that this battery has 2 power leads, and a balance connector. Like Groot said he wants to charge through the second power lead. Also I have an electrifly equinox. It is for Lipos but it charges through the balance connector. As long as the charging amps are low, charging through the balance connector shouldn't be any problem.
-Gohst
purcilas

Post by purcilas »

I already purchased the 3S 2650 1C Lipo pack that I had seen recommended when I first bought the radio.

I have been considering switching over to this life pack just to bring the voltage down a bit to protect the electronics. Is it worth it? Should I be worried about using a 3S lipo?

Please let me know as I am about to submit an order to HobbyKing and will place two of the life packs in my cart if needed :)
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

Yes, I thought about charging through the second small power lead but that still leaves making a connection to the balance lead without opening the cover and disturbing the folded up leads.
Maintain thine airspeed.
Lest the ground arise and smite thee!
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

3S lipo will work just fine.
-Gohst
purcilas

Post by purcilas »

So it wont burn out the radio with time?
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

The radio comes with an 8 AA cell holder. The max voltage on that is 8 x 1.5 = 12V. A lipo doesn't stay at 12.6V for very long. So really it is no different than running with 8 AAs.
-Gohst
purcilas

Post by purcilas »

Ok cool. Thanks Gohst!
pldb64

Post by pldb64 »

Max charged voltage for the LiFE will be 10.8V but it drops very quickly to 9.9V and then stays there for a very long time with "normal" Tx usage. I'm currently flying every weekend and only recharging every 3-4 weeks
Camboui

Post by Camboui »

SamoaFlyer wrote:By the way, I'm using two A123 M1 2300mAh LiFe cells with a LDO regulator in my 9x.
That would be the definitive best choice if the stock 5V linear regulator is a LDO one. Is this the case or did you changed it ?
If it isn't LDO, could we insert and additional LDO regulator in parallel with the original ?
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

The stock regulator is not and LDO type. I'm not sure it is a good idea to parallel 2 regulators together. Besides the LDO in whatever module you are using is probably not an LDO type either.
-Gohst
SamoaFlyer

Post by SamoaFlyer »

Camboui wrote:
SamoaFlyer wrote:By the way, I'm using two A123 M1 2300mAh LiFe cells with a LDO regulator in my 9x.
That would be the definitive best choice if the stock 5V linear regulator is a LDO one. Is this the case or did you changed it ?
If it isn't LDO, could we insert and additional LDO regulator in parallel with the original ?

I removed both of the 5V stock regulators and made a small board with an adjustable LTC1529 LDO regulator and mounted it on the switch board where I pick up the battery voltage. The output is tied to the main board 5V buss. This is a 3A regulator so the dropout voltage is quite low (0.15V) at the normal 9x operating current. I definately would not parallel regulators.

This combination of A123 cells and regulator has worked out very well.

Bill
ovisopa

Post by ovisopa »

Hello guys,
I have moded the 9x with smartieparts board, TTL convertor, FrSky DIY transmitter, changed one pot to have 6 fixed steps (for ardupilot MODE selector) and also added a LiFe 1500mah battery, but don;t really know when the voltage is to low, I never waited until the 9x beeps and charged the lipo when on display I see 9,4v.

Can you tell me when you charge the battery ?

Thank you.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

The lowest is 2.2v/cell=6.6v for a3 cell pack. This is too low in my opinion as it may allow the battery to suddenly crash much lower. We need a 7-7.5 to keep the stock 5 v 9x regulator working so 2.8v/cell =8.4v is what I use as a cutoff minamum. It's still in the safe range and gives me more flying time per charge. At 140ma/hr tx draw I still get better than 8 hours on time. The battery fully charged sits at 9.9 volts after the surface charge is used and stays there for a very long time I'm finding. Again the TX is happy with anything over 7.5 volts do you have plenty of "wiggle room" to fly between charges. Also the low self discharge chemistry of the battery doesn't cause it to self discharge much at all between charges.
Do a test if you have 8-10 hours to watch it ha ha. My current favorite battery!
Hope this helps
SM
ovisopa

Post by ovisopa »

so I can easily stay untill I see 9.0 v on my screen. Thank you for details.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Yes, 9 v will give you a lot of flying time and have a very large headroom. Maybe 8.8v as a safe cutoff and even get more flying per charge or know at least your good to keep flying if you're having a good time.
SM
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Anyone having problems with the HK orange LiFe 1500mah Battery?
I'm asking because 2 friends at the club said that their batteries were all bad and died. Strange because I never heard of issues apart from them coming with reversed leads black was positive and red was negative.. Did read this on the reviews at HK..

Thanks
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
dvogonen

Re: Sv: LiFe Battery Pack

Post by dvogonen »

I had a strange incident last week when I dropped the radio. The fall was not high and it landed soft on grass, so I was surprised to find that it died.
When I came home I took it apart and discovered that there were no problems with the radio, but that the LiFe pack was dead. The pack was new so I ventured to open it up and look for the problem. It turned out that one of the cell tabs had a hairline crack right through it. I can not imagine that the fall did the damage since I have foam bolstering in the battery compartment that stops the battery from moving around. I think that the issue must have occurred previously and that the fall made the two parts of the tab pull apart. It might even have been damaged before I got it.
I put a lead over the crack and soldered everything. It will not pull apart again.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

good that it didn't happen in flight..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Irish Steve

Post by Irish Steve »

Interesting. Friend of mine has one that I got which has apparently died, so I might have a closer look at it, and see what's really happening.
Thanks for the heads up.
Irish Steve

If it was easy, shure, would't we all be doin it?

_
kaos

Post by kaos »

rcmadrusty wrote: Can this LiFe battery be left in the transmitter and be charged by my imax B6 battery charger with the balance lead and the other charge lead that is not already being used by the transmitter. (I like the idea of not having to unplug the lead into the transmitter and risk damaging the plug)
check these out:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=24
kaos

Post by kaos »

jhsa wrote:Anyone having problems with the HK orange LiFe 1500mah Battery?
I'm asking because 2 friends at the club said that their batteries were all bad and died. Strange because I never heard of issues apart from them coming with reversed leads black was positive and red was negative.. Did read this on the reviews at HK..

Thanks
João
Nope, I have 4 of them. luckily all my polarity is good. never have a problem with them. (except one I ruined one cell by running way below 2.8 volt by accident ;) ) One of them in my stock Tx sitting there > 7 months still has 3.3 or so volt per cell.
the only thing I feel short form these LiFe is after I started to play with sky9x telemetry voice. I NEED MORE AMPH. ;)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

So far the 4 I have have been OK for 8 months now.
Is it possible they may have run them down to low in the past and forgot to mention it?
Maybe they will share more on how they were charged and used and what they used for a cutoff voltage before recharging.
I'm not defending HK or the battery, just making sure all the facts are in so we have some failure history facts on these new type batteries.

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Return to “Where to buy / Spares / Modules? Selling up?”