LiFe Battery Pack

Want to get your own 9x? Don't know where to buy one? Looking for spares?
GyroGearloose

Re: LiFe Battery Pack

Post by GyroGearloose »

ShowMaster wrote:What I found was the charger must be fooled, makes sense, ant shut off way too soon. I only had a few hundred Ma or less put into the battery.
Why is that? I've seen similar on occasion, and maybe that was the issue?
ShowMaster wrote:I like the idea of a quick charge at the field without taking the battery out but don't like the idea of being able o turn the TX on while charging so that's why the charge side TX power switch should still be in the charge circuit.
I don't see a big reason to (maybe trying to fly from your car battery?), but why do you NOT want to be able to turn it on while charging? Just wondering...
ShowMaster wrote: In case you missed that step here's what to do. In any lithium mode, lipo, life, ect. connect your battery to the balance port on your charger. Select the cell count and charge current as usuall. Then before pushing the start charge button, push the right hand select button of the two center buttons one time.
At least on mine, if you select "Balance" before setting the amps and S/volts, it will remember those settings for balancing vs. charging. I routinely have mine balance a 6S and only charge a 3S, and don't select the voltage each time - only the mode which carries the V and amps from the last time I used that mode.

You ARE totally correct about the confusion caused by CHARGE mode with the balance plug connected -- in fact, I suspect they are totally independent circuits since my cell voltages often don't match my total charge voltage (weird?). Like you, I've fallen for that myself a couple times and seen others fall for it constantly. My "favorite" was a failing 3S battery that had 6-0-6 across the cells, but "charged" just fine.

-Gyro
I could fly so much better if a second flight wasn't a requirement....

B12

Post by B12 »

GyroGearloose wrote:
I don't believe so on mine... middle positive, but there's a wire on only one side of that, and I don't see a shunt to the other side.

So, that's why I said the worst that happens, *IF* the middle is stil positive, is that the radio just isn't powered.

-Gyro
I cannot be 100% sure about your case but I have a 2010 Flysky and 2011 Turnigy. Both have three pin battery connector on the radio PCB. I have measured them and on both radios the middle one is positive pin. Both left and right pins on the radio are negative.

Your radio must be fifferent then. Maybe they have removed the right pin (good for them) because of the burned regulators after so many people screwed up their simple battery swap. Unfortunately it does not protect from somebody soldering the positive battery lead to the middle pin.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Quote of post directly above this one removed by MOD - PLEASE don't quote the post directly above
I believe the shunt your referring to is on the 9x board. The center pin is + and the two outside pins go the the 9x boards ground plane common rail.
The battery connector FM only needs a center + wire and a - to either side of the servo type connector if I'm understanding your post.
SM
B12

Post by B12 »

That was ecactly what I meant. This seems to be surpricingly hard to understand for such a simple thing.

The battery connector pins on the radio circuit board are like this: [- + -] It does not matter if your battery negative (black lead) is on the left or right, the positive (red) will be in the middle in any case. This is what I meant when I said it is one and the same which way you connect the black servo type connector. You just cannot plug it wrong. At least one must try really hard and use some advanced level of imagination and creativity to do so.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I find/found that the servo type connector ony life batteris are a not a tight fit. My fix that seems to work is with the tip, carefully one FM pin at a time, I push the connector top to make it smaller through the open pin area where the retainer tab is. By making the shell smaller it grabs the male pins on the 9x tighter.
I took the pins out of the connector at first but not needed and less chance of breaking off the small plastic connector tab or shorting the pins. A non conductive object is a better choice than an exacto I used.
Now my life connector feels solid when pluged into
My 9x FWIW.
SM

Jefte

Post by Jefte »

GyroGearloose wrote:I have seen many people apply a very simple passive safety, by just charging batteries in a heavy metal bowl or steel ammo box. It's much more convenient than the bag, for sure, and does direct any fire upward into the air instead of lighting the table it's on. Enough safety? Who knows... I've seen some nasty fireballs of LiPOs that did fail, so 6' to the ceiling may NOT be enough.
The best passive safety setup I have seen was a guy who used a concrete cinder block and a sandbag. You store your batteries in the hollow cinder block, and top it with the sandbag. If anything does flare up, the heat/fire will burn through the sandbag and the sand will drop onto the fire to extinguish it. All while containing it in concrete.
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

Anyone tested how long this battery lasts for until it reaches a minimum point?

Mine was fully charged and I have now started leaving it on each day for an hour as a sort of practical test.

I have my alarm on the 9X set for 9V, which I am guessing is a reasonable figure to ensure safety when flying, but i could be way off :oops:

I have completed 3 hrs over three days and it now sits at 9.8V. I think when it was fully charged on the HK accucell 6 it read 10.4V but forgot to note it down.

Just wondering what others have found?

I am doing this rough test before doing any real flying :)

Also seems to me that I would be better off charging via the two pin lead rather than having to disconnect the servo type power lead each time to charge it, and risk wearing the connection to the radio.
Maintain thine airspeed.
Lest the ground arise and smite thee!
GrootWitbaas

Post by GrootWitbaas »

Never tested, but recharged 3 times since I got the battery. It was not needed but purely because I had it in my hand and was right next to the charger :)
9v is fine for low on LiFe. Full charge is 10,8v, but it will drop rapidly from that to 9,9v once disconnected from the charger (this is normal)
You can safely go down as low as 8,4v on that one, but I have never tested what happens from 9,2v downwards (9,2v was the lowest I had that one ever)
My flight packs (also LiFe and A123's) I run down to lowest 8,8v and never had problems yet.
Maybe it's good to test and see how it goes when getting lower (some mentioned it can drop off fast, but I have not seen this myself)
General trouble maker and wannabee Dev
GyroGearloose

Post by GyroGearloose »

GrootWitbaas wrote: Full charge is 10,8v, but it will drop rapidly from that to 9,9v once disconnected from the charger (this is normal)
You can safely go down as low as 8,4v on that one,
(some mentioned it can drop off fast, but I have not seen this myself)
I confirm all of this as dead on. The battery is 1500 mah, and the radio draws 120 mah which comes out to about 13 to 15 hours of on-time. Also consider whether you have a backlight on and whether you armed the radio transmitter for your test where you were seeing an interpolated 45 hour life.

I also confirmed the rapid discharge below 8.4 volts. I set my alarm for 8.4 but land quickly after it goes off.

As previously noted it is always wiser to charge through the balance plug. I would not want to disturb the radio connection either so at worst charge through the second power plug.

Gyro
pldb64

Post by pldb64 »

Gyro,

Can you comment on what amount of current (mah) you have pulled out of the 1500 mah battery by the time you've dropped to 8.4V?

I understand that for LIPO's the general rule of thumb is to not draw more than 80% of rated capacity in order to avoid brown outs and to maximise the life of the battery. However i've seen suggestions here that a LIFE battery will not have its longevity affected by going past the 80% mark (noting the constraints of the observed faster voltage drop off below 8.4V).

Can anyone comment as to the if this is an accurate understanding of the LIFE chemistry?
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I was asked what if the LiFe battery needs to be stored with a certain voltage like lipo's.
Since it holds it's charge for a year I don't think a lower voltage is needed for storage but I can't find any info on that.
Also, for those using lipo's in their TX, what about a storage charge state? Supposedly if not done when not in use it will be bad for battery life. I don't think many of us do that after flying do we?
SM
Crucial

LiFe Battery Pack

Post by Crucial »

I could never understand the whole storage charge thing. What's the point of a
Low self discharge battery that you have to discharge if you don't want to use it for awhile?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

My understanding for LiPos is if you fully charge them, then store them and allow the temperature to fall, they actually become overcharged, hence store them partially charged.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

I've completed my crude test of the battery life and it was not as good as expected, so I may have a mediocre battery from the HK factory :roll:

I cheated a bit at the end and did two hours on one day, but spread apart by a few hours.

The alarm went off at 8.9V (indicated by the display) and I have completed 7 hrs 20 mins with the radio just powered up and not being used.

I have the Smartieparts board fitted but everything else is standard..

That is plenty of time for a casual day or two flying but I'm a little nervous about the batteries poor performance, so may get another one to compare.

I will recharge it tomorrow and note what it takes to fully charge.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

7.5 hours for a 1500mAh battery would suggest you are drawing 200mA. Do you have a backlight on? Which Tx module are you using? Some modules might take as much as 100mA by themselves. Have you measured the actual current being drawn?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

Backlight is off.

Have not yet converted to Frsky so the module is the standard FlySky.

Not measured the current yet.
Maintain thine airspeed.
pgregg88

Great results ZIPPY Flightmax 1800mAh 9.9V 5C LiFePo4 TX Pac

Post by pgregg88 »

I'm having great results with the ZIPPY Flightmax 1800mAh 9.9V 5C LiFePo4 TX Pack. I've been using my remote a lot and I go weeks without having to recharge it.

The thing I like the most about this battery is it has really thin wires that fit perfectly within the 9x.

The thing I like the least is the funky "JR" plug on the discharge cable. It isn't a standard JR battery plug and it is impossible to find a real charge cable. I hacked one that works, but it is prone to user error if your aren't careful.

After hours of searching, my brother decided to put a RFP out to Chinese factories to produce this cable. We have 200 on order. If they work, I'll be happy to sell anyone on the board a battery adapter cable at my cost. They'll be cheap.

Stay tuned.

Preston

Post by Redbrickman »

Just a question on the charging of the battery.

I see from a post above that the recommended way is to charge via the balance lead.

I have the HK Accucell 6 and assume I have to make a charging lead up that has a female balance connector on one end and two banana plugs on the other?

Any idea where I might buy such a connector.

Failing that what is the correct connector to mate up with the other two wire lead on the battery assuming it can be used or charging?
Maintain thine airspeed.
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

The reccommended charging method is via the main leads with the balance tap connected.

The Accucel has the ports on the side. If you bought the battery from HK it should fit there without a problem.
Z

BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR!!!
What goes up... Should be controlled by a 9X!
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

Erazz,

I charge all my lipos with the main lead and balance leads connected but note above that Gyrogear suggested...
As previously noted it is always wiser to charge through the balance plug. I would not want to disturb the radio connection either so at worst charge through the second power plug.

Gyro
Is this possible, that's what I'm asking, as I am baffled as to how it can be done :?
Maintain thine airspeed.
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

ahhh, I see now.

Sorry for not reading through.
I usually charge outside the tx - hence the misunderstanding.

Can the Accucel charge via the balance plug only?
Z

Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

Erazz, no worries it is confusing at the moment :D

I am asking the same question because if you plug in only the balance plug the charger throws an error.

Maybe Gyro has another way to do it, or maybe I am misunderstanding his post.

My aim is to charge the battery without constantly plugging and unplugging the connection to the radio.
Maintain thine airspeed.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Looking at the picture at the beginning of the thread, this battery has 2 plugs apart from the balance plug.. one connects to the radio and the other can be used for charging.. that's how I understand it.. like this you don't have to disconnect the radio..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
GyroGearloose

Post by GyroGearloose »

erazz wrote:Can the Accucel charge via the balance plug only?
Redbrickman wrote:Erazz, no worries it is confusing at the moment :D
I am asking the same question because if you plug in only the balance plug the charger throws an error.
Maybe Gyro has another way to do it, or maybe I am misunderstanding his post.
My aim is to charge the battery without constantly plugging and unplugging the connection to the radio.
Erazz: Yes, but you need to trick the charger, for exactly the reason RBM said. For safety, the charger "actually" only charges while it's own main ("banana plugged") leads are measuring the requested/correct total voltage. This protects you from a lot of of disasterous mis-connections (plugging in a 6S in place of a 2S and exploding, for example?). Now, let's defeat that safety... :-)

In "balance mode" it will use the balance leads (the "balance plug" XST block) to charge between cells until all match, but it still needs to see the total voltage that should be present for the given tap point on the main leads.

As noted elsewhere, in "charge mode", it will (optionally) display all the cell voltages from the balance plug, but it won't charge equally... think of this as a convenience that leads to a lot of confusion. It will show you when it's discharging unequally, but it won't fix it unless told to.

Now, the "trick" part: If you know how the battery is wired internally, you know that the main plug on the battery is electrically the same as the first and last wires on the balance plug. The BP just has incremental wire taps between each cell as well so that the charger can measure/charge those cells independently. So, what you're actually doing when you plug balance and main wires into the charger is cloning the first wire (-) and connecting the main (+) to the appropriate place on the balance plug to match the battery you want to charge. But, you can do that before the battery, too, if you know what you're doing...

I do indeed have some "different ways" of charging my batteries than the standard "1 battery, two plugs" approach. I in fact have a charging "hydra" that could theoretically balance charge 36 batteries at once, including putting matching S totals in series for better balancing (each parallel "line" is treated as a 6S, but can be freely connected as 2+4, 3+3, etc). I won't confuse you THAT far, though.

Where's the trick? The simplest version: Your charger comes with a simple set of alligator clips for charging anything you can stick them to. Get yourself an appropriate XST (balance plug) extension, and strip the first and last wires at unmatching thirds (aka NOT at the same point, to avoid shorting one another). Clip on your clips, and then you only will need to connect the balance plug to your extension, ever again. This will charge one battery from only the balance plug. I can send you a photo of this if you need.

The cleaner OEM version: What I actually use on THESE Tx batteries, being 3S size and having more than one, is the "2x3 = 6" twin adapter that HK sells. It makes the main lead connection for you, as well as mapping cells 4-6 to the second battery... so you can balance charge two 3S batteries and have the charger able to "see" all the cells individually. I also use this adapter for my 450 and prop-plane's 3S batts, since I always balance charge if I can. I have several of these plugged into my 36-battery board, which is how I "parallel balance" 3rows x 2columns x 3S.

The evil parrallel version: If you pick up the 36 battery charging board from HK, it's set up to do 6 batteries of any size simultaneously in parrallel. But you'd still have to connect at least one of the batteries to the board's "main", which it connects back to the charger's main. You can literally short that stupidity by connecting the above "clips on extension" to one of the balance plugs, and then ALL the ports can balance charge without main leads again. In fact, I THINK you can even balance charge bigger batteries than what you've claimed you're doing on the charger, since the charger will balance (for example) the 4th/5th/6th cells BEYOND the 12V tap you claimed for 3S charging -- the tap point is at the right voltage, so the charger is happy.

Another cool side effect of parallel charging this way: if you, like me, come home with a big stack of batteries all discharged to different points depending when you chose to land (or were "unexpectedly thwarted by gravity with an impact modality"), you can plug in your most discharged batteries, and as the voltage reaches the current state of other batteries, simply plug them into the remaining balance ports without restarting the charge cycle. Thus a single charge cycle may start with 1 battery and end up balancing 6 batteries before it finishes. You just don't want to ever connect batteries in parrallel that are NOT close to the same voltage state (this creates an infinite-C charge path between the dis-similarly charged cells).

So, did I confuse you all even worse? Good... my job here is done!

-Gyro
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

"unexpectedly thwarted by gravity with an impact modality"
Sounds familiar.... :roll:

I gotta admit, ever since I ponied up to a PowerLab 8 I can't remember how to use a 4-button charger.... Wait, it actually needs to be TOLD how many cells there are? And the Charge current? :mrgreen:
Z

GyroGearloose

Post by GyroGearloose »

erazz wrote:I gotta admit, ever since I ponied up to a PowerLab 8 I can't remember how to use a 4-button charger.... Wait, it actually needs to be TOLD how many cells there are? And the Charge current? :mrgreen:
OK, quit bragging... my $16 charger is doing just fine! And as I said, with a little sneakiness, I just always charge on 6S and full current (banks of parallel cells suck up all 60W of this charger without too much trouble, and I don't care if it takes all night to do my 400 batteries...).

-Gyro Screwloose
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

OK, quit bragging
Wanna see a picture :)
Z

Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

(or were "unexpectedly thwarted by gravity with an impact modality")
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a great expression!

OK I understand your post and you certainly gave a full explanation.

I'll go for the easy way, get a balance lead extension + modify. That will get it started anyway.

Just ordered one on "FeePay" ;)

I use an HK 6 way parallel lead to charge my MSR X batts - 1S 160 Mah and it works OK, but the Accucell is too coarse to set 160mah so I generally set it at 100, and let it get on with it as I waste my life browsing ;)
Maintain thine airspeed.
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

You guys are all nuts with your lipo and life's You should only use NiMh batteries. You only need a wall wart then.

ONE WALL WART TO RULE THEM ALL!

Return to “Where to buy / Spares / Modules? Selling up?”