Turnigy 9X - Came in Broken!

Want to get your own 9x? Don't know where to buy one? Looking for spares?
Ray2K

Turnigy 9X - Came in Broken!

Post by Ray2K »

Just got my Turnigy 9X from Hobby King US Warehouse; inserted the batteries, and got the "Switch Error" everyone has mentioned. The switches were all in the proper position, according to the web posts and videos. Contacted H-K and they told me to send it back, but I HAD TO PAY FOR THE RETURN SHIPPING, and it had to be with a tracking number!!! Has anyone else had this experience with HK? It leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth - I don't want to bad mouth HK, but this policy really sucks, especially for a brand new device which obviously was never tested before shipment! Cost from Mass to Washington is about $17, which is what i paid them for shipping... Any comments on how to handle the situation? I do want the radio, and as you can guess, they sold out almost immediately, and I'll have to wait for a replacement, maybe months.

ReSt

Re: Turnigy 9X - Came in Broken!

Post by ReSt »

Before sending it back Iwould just open the TX and check the soldering of the wires at the switches, reseat the plugs and retry.
If that doesn't help, measure if the switches really switch.

Good chances that you will solve the problem.

Reinhard
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

A club member has asked me to look at fixing his bad HK tx he just got. I don't have the tx yet but here are pictures I posted earlier showing the RUST!
He also says he has switch errors and nothing helps. I'll be posting how well it goes when I get it next week.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342408881.960310.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342408881.960310.jpg (21.95 KiB) Viewed 11139 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342408905.730128.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342408905.730128.jpg (19.04 KiB) Viewed 11139 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342408921.295097.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342408921.295097.jpg (17.97 KiB) Viewed 11139 times
I'm ashamed of hobby king for sending this junk to anyone.

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think they don't even look inside the box
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Ray2K wrote:they told me to send it back, but I HAD TO PAY FOR THE RETURN SHIPPING, and it had to be with a tracking number!!! Has anyone else had this experience with HK? It leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth - I don't want to bad mouth HK, but this policy really sucks, especially for a brand new device which obviously was never tested before shipment!
Hey - there's no miracle, how do you think they can sell you the radio for 40% cheaper than all other sellers?

HK is a gamble, dirt cheap but forget about support. Either what you got works and you made a bargain (most of the times), or it doesn't and you just eat the loss (happens sometimes, probably a bit more than with "normal" sellers).
If you don't want to gamble then buy somewehre else, pay a bit more, and consider that extra amount as an "insurance" as you'll have less risk of getting a dud, and will (normally) get better support in case of trouble.

It's totally unethical, but from a business perspective it works damn well. They sell you something and make money out of it. If it doesn't work you contact support, who offers to ship the item back. Shipping the item is usually so expensive compared to the item's price that the vast majority of people give up and eat the loss -> HK don't even have to pay support costs. Then they make even more money because you end up buying a 2nd unit from them again cause it's still so much cheaper than somewehre else. Total win for them.

It's just how it is. Now it's up to you to choose whether you want to play that game or not. Most do...

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Just open it.. It might not be difficult to fix it..
And we'll help you as much as we can..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

ShowMaster wrote:A club member has asked me to look at fixing his bad HK tx he just got. I don't have the tx yet but here are pictures I posted earlier showing the RUST!
He also says he has switch errors and nothing helps. I'll be posting how well it goes when I get it next week.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342408881.960310.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342408905.730128.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342408921.295097.jpg
I'm ashamed of hobby king for sending this junk to anyone.

ShowMaster
ok got the rusted 9x tonight with the switch error message and have fixed the switch error message. It seems that all the toggle switches measured open in any position. I assume from wicking up moisture that caused the rusted screws and metal pot cases.
I was able to slowly spray contact cleaner/lube into the switch handle openings and repeatedly exorcize the switches until they made contact again. Like magic the 9x stopped showing switch error and went into the Turnigy logo screen. All menu and trim function work so I think he is very close to flying after 2 weeks of worrying before I got a hold of it. I'll bind the RX tomorrow and hopefully the TX module is OK and the sticks and their pots are working normally along with the 3 aux pots. I did spray the aux pots and my ohm meter shows them working.
Hope this is if some help of what to look for and fix of you get one of these water damaged 9x's being sold.
It was hard to believe that all the toggle switches were bad (7) at first but they were.

ShowMaster
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

better to replace them.. I think with time they might fail again..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I would definitely throw that rusted TX far, far away into a large bin and not even trust it for a $10 model.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I would agree that this rusted TX may not be reliable. The person that owns it will be told that. New replacement switches will cost $45 if he wants to go that route using Futaba replacement switches. The water damage does not seem to be salt water so that's in his favor.
So here's the status, he paid almost $100 or more and waited 5 weeks to get it. It came damaged. His options are to eat it and start all over waiting and spending more money on a replacement. Or,
At least replace all the water damaged switches $45-50, my labor is free.
Or,
Use it like it is and maybe lose a plane or not? This is the usual first approach of many $ strapped modelers. I'm not sure I personally would trust it but again if I connected my TX up backwards and blew up the tx, I wouldn't repair it and fly it as so many do so often.
Finally there is the option of selling off the working parts as many do to finance a replacement TX. Lastly the dishonest option of selling it since it's working as a good working TX on EBay to some unsuspecting modeler.
I'll recomend it be scraped but can't control the outcome. For fun, anyone care to vote on the outcome? I'll post the final answer when I know it.

ShowMaster
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

If the PCB doesn't look damaged and if the pots are working it might worth a try.. I think if the pots were damaged would show immediately.. for switches, wouldn't be possible to replace with some from a electronic shop? if you buy the futaba you are paying more for the name.. as long as the switches are the same size and same contacts I can't see why not using them..

João
Last edited by jhsa on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Crashj007

Post by Crashj007 »

Gut it and save the case and gimbals to practice painting it.
--
FS-TH9X 2.4GHz 9CH from Nitroplanes
Smartieparts board & backlight
Stock Flysky RF and mainboard
er9x FW V 744
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Re switch replace replacement,
You're correct. If he's not worried about about the toggle being round or flat I can use $3 switches for the SPDT switches. The 3 pos switch has a longer handle and Futaba's switch will work there. The trainer is a longer handle spring return type that a Futaba switch is a good replacement from my LHS. This should reduce the cost to $25 or less thanks to the free labor for him.
In the next hour I'll bind it to a rx and see how it and the sticks actually came out after sitting over night.
I am concerned about stick pot elements failing in a short time becsuse of the moisture contamination but hopefully they work OK now.
The motherboard will be removed eventually and washed down in warm distilled water to remove any salt film or other surface contamination and then air dried for 24 hours in the 100 deg CA shaded air.
Old trick from doing video shoots in salt spray.
More when I know more. Who needs video games to play with, we have plenty of fun just getting in the air.

Update
All sticks and pots seem to have survived as well an the tx module(I have spare modules as well).
The retract switch is still flaky when used with the rx so it's got to go. Il sure all of the switches should go so I'll check my local electronic surplus stores first. All the simple 4 ch functions work and he can fly it in a junker and not use the d/r or other switches to check it out if he still wants to use it. Then he can decide what's next. I'm in a position to eat the $100 as many here are, but not everyone can so I'm just taking it from a technical fix it position and letting him decide the final decision. Warning, if you see a cheap 9x on eBay with a Los Angeles seller, beware ha ha.

ShowMaster
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Good switch idea from a friend. Buy older TXs being sold, many times at the local field for penny's on the dollar.
Rob the switches.
Big local rc swap meet locally in 2 weeks so I'll give it a try.

ShowMaster

Return to “Where to buy / Spares / Modules? Selling up?”