Orange Module running MULTI protocol

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

It would seem that adding the missing 100 ohm resistors R1 and R13 did work well. I forgot to mention that I see a telemetry value of 31 on the bench from my Pitts and this module.
I didn’t want to just use a short but had no local source for the two smd size and value resistors.
I remembered that Steven “smartiparts” at my request, sold me a box of damaged boards for soldering and rework practice last year.
I was able to harvest the exact 2 resistors I needed from them.
Thank you Mike, and thank you Steven, for making this all come together!

That brings up this next question.
If I want to use this flashed orange or the IRangeX 4in1 Multi module in my 9Xtreme conversion Mike, what do I need to do hardware wise?
I’ll load the latest ersky9x for the 9Xtreme but need to verify the version and a link to it if necessary.
The 9Xtreme 9x has been setup to use the xjt module and has been fully working in the past, but not used for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ShowMaster

Re: Orange Module running MULTI protocol

Post by ShowMaster »

Update. My friends HK v1.2 labeled orange green board module updated to MikeB’s multi fw, works great with my umx Pitts.
In fact the rssi reported level was 31 and the lowest was 16. My older modules updated go as low as 6-8 but control is never lost.
Interesting, but not alarming.
Mike, the green board beta module did upgrade as I explained, but the led never lights up?
Works fine and shows rssi so it’ll be a spare?
I have so many now. 2 that must use the pro’s handle antenna, 1 with the external antenna, one still stock.
My friend will have his now that’s flight tested.
I think I’m taking a break.
Thanks so much for the fw and the help.

xrxpercy

Post by xrxpercy »

I just upgraded my 9XR-Pro with test FW 221 F2 (ersky9x-pf2r221), bootloader is now ver 2.6. Next I updated Xmega using PDI on my green HK Telemetry Module with the MultiOrangeBoot.bin. The flash was successful, bottom numbers 1E95 4201 00BF FEFF 00FF. Next tried to Update Multi using the MultiOrangeGreen_22.hex with the module back in the bay. No Luck Fails every time. Invert com1 is always on no. I never have any telemetry. I don't think the module bootloader is running. All 0's under the "Failed" msg. I've tried holding the bind button in during power on and at the same time going into maintenance mode. No luck there either. Still can't update Multi. The TX still controls the model OK and the module light is on steady. Any ideas anyone?
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I used the pro mini bootloader flash option on my green board.
Using MikeB’s suggestion of holding to bind button, trim tabs out, when powering, and then trying a update multi flash with the green multi.bin, I got a flash failed. I found that if I did the update multi step again without any other changes, it would flash successfully the second time. Basically do 2 flashed one after another.
Trying all this a second time from power up, it again required the second flash step?

This was done successfully on a recent HK v1.2 orange module. The led acts normally.
I have an older beta green board that acts like yours.
In any case, it flashed and works ok but as I remember the led doesn’t light up.
I may at some point try a reflash it but it’s a spare now.

MikeB I’m sure will comment on what’s going on and hopefully be able to explain what’s going on. He usually does if we’re patient.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Are you using the Multi protocol or PPM?
Have you checked the 2 resistors are on the board?
Please try the following. Set the throttle off bottom (to get a throttle warning). Now power on normally, and look at the LED on the module, it should be flashing indicating it is running, but not receiving any protocol data.
Now power off, then power on holding the bind button in, the LED should now be on solid, indicating the module is in the bootloader.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

xrxpercy

Post by xrxpercy »

Thanks for the reply
1. I am using Multi protocol. 2. The 2 resistors are present but they are 100 ohms, not 10. 3. Starting in "throttle not in safe position" results in flashing LED. 4. Starting with the same throttle position but with the bind button pressed results in steady LED. 5. It still will not "Update Multi" in maintenance mode, using the "multi green" hex file with the "F2" firmware. 6. If I go back to "c6" firmware, then it updates just fine. 7. My original problem still exists, losing telemetry every time I use the Model Select; when returning to the model with telemetry I have to "Update Multi" to get the telemetry working again. I'm worried that such frequent flashing might be detrimental to the nonvolatile NAND or EEPROM, whichever it is.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Please confirm your clock is running correctly, and that the backup battery is OK.
I'll run some checks on updating the Orange module from "f2".

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I just did an update of an Orange module, using a 9XR-PRO, using "f2" and it worked fine.
If you lose telemetry when selecting a module, try changing the setting of "invert COM1" to the opposite, then back again. If that gets the telemetry back, then definitely check the RTC battery.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
xrxpercy

Post by xrxpercy »

Thanks again for your reply. Changing the setting of "invert Com 1" to the opposite and back again does not do the trick. Still no Telemetry. What does work on the E5 firmware which I just tried, is going through the motions of "Updating Multi" by loading the green hex file and trying to flash it. It fails but then I have telemetry. At least until the next time I select any other model. Then it's gone again when I return to the model that has the telemetry receiver. The C6 firmware does flash successfully when "Updating Multi", the E5 firmware fails as does the F2. When I say "Update Multi" I mean actually selecting "Update", setting invert com 1 to yes, loadings the green hex file and then flashing. Not just changing Invert Com 1 to yes and exiting maintenance mode. That doesn't bring back the telemetry at all. Should it? It would be nice if the default was Invert Com 1.
The RTC battery seems to be fine. The date and time stays set, even when I change the battery.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Very odd. Note that I just checked flashing a green Orange module using "F2" firmware. This worked fine, but I didn't need to invert COM1 for this to work.
Also, the module is working correctly, and the radio is seeing the module status (over the telemetry connection), again without needing COM1 to be inverted. The module is sending inverted telemetry data in the first place.

When you are not receiving telemetry, please check in the "DEBUG" menu (UP LONG, then LEFT a few times) if the number to the right of "TelRxCount" is changing.

Do you get telemetry when you power on with the model already selected?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
xrxpercy

Post by xrxpercy »

The "Debug" shows a rapidly increasing left number, both when I'm receiving telemetry and the same when not. The right number is fixed at 0503. Very strange. Does that mean that the TX is receiving telemetry from the module but not displaying telemetry values. Powering on with the correct model selected (and having been receiving telemetry before shutting it down) results in telemetry working just fine. Powering on with the correct model selected (and not receiving telemetry before shutting down) results in no telemetry, but I still get a telemetry screen with VBAT = 0.0 and TSSI in small font top right 000:00. I have never been able to get the VBAT value to display as A1 or A4. I wish it would because then I could set audible alarms. This was all just carefully checked with the 221 E5 FW installed. I think it would be the same with F2 or C6.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The 0503 is wrong, it should show 0502. I can't see how it gets to 0503.

Please try the following:
1. Create a new model.
2. Set the external module protocol to Multi and the sub-protocol to DSM2
3. In the telemetry menu, set the UsrProto to DSMx
4. Now look at the DEBUG menu and see if the number is 0502.

The VBat value showing on the DSM telemetry page should be the FasV telemetry value you may use for setting alarms.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
xrxpercy

Post by xrxpercy »

Mike, The 503 was a typo...it is 502. I created a new model, set up as above, and it's 502. The left number is increasing but much slower than it does when the model with the telemetry RX is selected. Thanks for the tip about FasV. I have an alarm set now.
What about the possibility of Invert Com 1 YES being made the default?
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Mike, just to be clear, I haven’t updated my 9Xtreme ersky9x fw in some time. I’m planning on using one of the multi orange modules you’ve helped me with or a IRangeX 4 in one module.
The one wire connection was done to allow a xjt module to be fully functional some time ago.
I’ve added the protection resistor also.
If I flash a latest (r221?) 9Xtreme version of ersky9x, will it support both version modules?
I believe I need to add the extra data file in my sd cards root directory. Is this the same one I used for the 9xr pro?

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

"If I flash a latest (r221?) 9Xtreme version of ersky9x, will it support both version modules?"
Yes
"I believe I need to add the extra data file in my sd cards root directory. Is this the same one I used for the 9xr pro?"
Yes.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Excellent!
Thanks

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've put a revised document on the first post that includes a description of using a Pro Mini to flash the bootloader to the module.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Mike, I posted in more detailed test on rcg of a IRangeX plus and the orange module with your fw upgrade. I used orange rx615x receivers. Interesting is I found that in a 9xd with otx2.2.1 multi fw, the IRangeX plus didn’t seem to go into the range test mode when it was selected. I got 300+ ft of test range.
The Orange module in the range test mode only went 40-50 ft before I lost servo movement. This is what I would expect in that mode. In the normal mode, I again went over 300ft before giving up. No rssi to look at.
My conclusion is your fw does allow normal and reduced power out as selected via the menu. The IRangeX plus doesn’t.
They were all in dsmx mode.
I’ll do another test with my umx Pitts bnf plane because it does give a rssi reading.
Both modules seemed to have the same normal power, just the range test mode is deceiving on the IRangeX plus.
I thought you may have an opinion on what’s going on.

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Could you provide a link please. A brief search didn’t turn it up.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

erskyTx/er9x developer
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Duh. Why couldn’t I find that? Thanks very much.
Raptor4167

Post by Raptor4167 »

Hello, I flashed a green orange module a while back and I was using ersky9x on my taranis x9d+. I have now updated the firmware and bootloader to 2.2.1. Now the module wont work with either ersky9x or opentx. How do I get the module to work on opentx 2.2.1?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

With openTx, did you tick "multimodule" in the options before downloading the firmware.

What does the LED on the module do?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Raptor4167

Post by Raptor4167 »

yes the multimodule is in use. The led does nothing.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If the module has power, then the LED should flash slowly if it is not receiving data.
SIlly question, have you set the external protocol to "Multi", so the module gets power?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Raptor4167

Post by Raptor4167 »

Before I flashed the bootloader the led would be on constantly and it also worked with opentx 2.2.1 and with the old bootloader. I'm unsure if its the new bootloader or the firmware that is messing it up. I no longer have the sd card contents of the original boot loader nor can I get back to the old bootloader. Its flashed with multiorangeboot file. Should I reflash the module with the newest firmware? Yes its on multi and on the correct protocol.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Try setting the protocol for the externa module to PPM and see if the LED flashes.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Raptor4167

Post by Raptor4167 »

That still didn't produce any light. I consider this module to be dead because there wasn't any voltage going to the led. I know that voltage is going in but nothing. I tried to flash it but it failed. I also ripped the ground pad off unfortunately but I still think it connects on the other side of the board. What multiprotocol module do you recommend?
PXSS

Post by PXSS »

Hey guys,
I just bought an arduino pro mini to flash my orange module to multi-tx.
When I upload the sketch to the pro mini, is the light supposed to flash fast or slow?
I am (maybe) getting some compiling errors, but it still uploads the sketch to the arduino?

Here is what I'm getting:

Code: Select all

D:\pdiMini\PdiMini.ino: In function 'void loop()':

D:\pdiMini\PdiMini.ino:105:46: warning: invalid conversion from 'const uint8_t* {aka const unsigned char*}' to 'uint8_t* {aka unsigned char*}' [-fpermissive]

pdiWritePageMemory( 0x8000, &Boot[0], 256 ) ;

^

D:\pdiMini\pdi.ino:408:9: note: initializing argument 2 of 'uint8_t pdiWritePageMemory(uint32_t, uint8_t*, uint16_t)'

uint8_t pdiWritePageMemory( uint32_t writeAddress, uint8_t* writeBuffer, uint16_t writeSize )

^

D:\pdiMini\PdiMini.ino:112:48: warning: invalid conversion from 'const uint8_t* {aka const unsigned char*}' to 'uint8_t* {aka unsigned char*}' [-fpermissive]

pdiWritePageMemory( 0x8100, &Boot[256], 256 ) ;

^

D:\pdiMini\pdi.ino:408:9: note: initializing argument 2 of 'uint8_t pdiWritePageMemory(uint32_t, uint8_t*, uint16_t)'

uint8_t pdiWritePageMemory( uint32_t writeAddress, uint8_t* writeBuffer, uint16_t writeSize )

^

D:\pdiMini\PdiMini.ino:119:48: warning: invalid conversion from 'const uint8_t* {aka const unsigned char*}' to 'uint8_t* {aka unsigned char*}' [-fpermissive]

pdiWritePageMemory( 0x8200, &Boot[512], 256 ) ;

^

^

Sketch uses 3668 bytes (11%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 798 bytes (38%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1250 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
Is this expected???

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't get those warnings (you may ignore them). What version of the Arduino IDE are you using?

From the "PDIflashing3.pdf" document:
"After a couple of seconds, the LED on the Arduino will flash, around once per second if the bootloader
flashed OK, and 5 times per second if it failed."

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “RF MODULES”